La Roux as a 1 piece

thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just read that La Roux has sacked the producer, and is now just Elly Jackson.

Does anyone know why this is?

It reminds me of Nena Daconte, a duo from Spain (Female singer and male musician/producer). He was kicked out just after 2 huge singles a few years, and she kept on going a solo artist with the name. Never achieved the same success again.... History repeating itself?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    thaliafan wrote: »
    I've just read that La Roux has sacked the producer, and is now just Elly Jackson.

Does anyone know why this is?

It reminds me of Nena Daconte, a duo from Spain (Female singer and male musician/producer). He was kicked out just after 2 huge singles a few years, and she kept on going a solo artist with the name. Never achieved the same success again.... History repeating itself?

Do you mean Ben Langmaid?, if so I haven't read anything to support this.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a recent quote from Elly recently saying that for the direction she particularly wanted to go in, the best decision was to be apart due to differences (or something like that).

To me, it did kind of sound like they've been having disputes for quite some time (which probably explains the 5 year gap). I'm not sure.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Oh I thought she was called la roux just her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I've read that Ben has had a hand in 5 of the tracks on the album (so more than half), I don't know how much truth there is in that though.
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought. I haven't seen anything to say they have officially stopped working together, maybe he's taking a back seat for a bit.
    Forum Member
    Looks like it's right.

Good interview here which covers the split from Ben.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/25/-sp-elly-jackson-i-dont-understand-fame
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five years wait (career suicide!) for 42 minutes of music that only has a tenuous link to the first album! The lack of interest here just shows that even her original fans are somewhat ambivalent.

Ladyhawke made the same mistakes - Elly would`ve been well advised to learn from those.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to be getting rave reviews from pretty much everybody. Could well be the most critically acclaimed album of the year from the high scores +praise I've seen.

I'll reserve judgement for now till I hear it in full as I've learnt to not always trust the critical establishment these days. But yeah, it certainly makes it sound like a promising comeback.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Five years wait (career suicide!) for 42 minutes of music that only has a tenuous link to the first album! The lack of interest here just shows that even her original fans are somewhat ambivalent.

Ladyhawke made the same mistakes - Elly would`ve been well advised to learn from those.

The cause of delay was due to a problem Elly faced with her falsetto and apart of her throat was paralysed because of anxiety.

The album has rave reviews and it's currently 2 in the midweeks.. not bad for 5 years away and not a single television performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cause of delay was due to a problem Elly faced with her falsetto and apart of her throat was paralysed because of anxiety.

The album has rave reviews and it's currently 2 in the midweeks.. not bad for 5 years away and not a single television performance.

Emperor`s New Clothes. Clear to me that Langmaid was the wizard behind the curtain.

"Performance anxiety" responsible for the five year delay. Hmmmmm.......
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emperor`s New Clothes. Clear to me that Langmaid was the wizard behind the curtain.

"Performance anxiety" responsible for the five year delay. Hmmmmm.......

Horses for corses, for me, Silent Partner is the best track on the album and that's without Ben. I like what Ben contributed but we'll have to wait for album 3 to judge if he really was the brains or not.

It didn't take 5 years to make the album, production started in early 2012, so it's hardly a "delay", she finished promoting & touring the first album in 2011.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like what Ben contributed but we'll have to wait for album 3 to judge if he really was the brains or not.

Meetcha back here in 2019!
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wish she would release the song from ab fab in 2012 she did "walking down the road..looking at the trees"
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole 'performance anxiety' excuse seems like b.s., plus I always assumed La Roux were always regarded as a duo similar to a group like Goldfrapp for example so it seem pretty self-centred to sack your musical partner.

She needed five years away to come back with a second album? As someone said on The Guardian site, The Beatles went from Please Please Me to The White Album in the same amount of time.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needed five years away to come back with a second album? As someone said on The Guardian site, The Beatles went from Please Please Me to The White Album in the same amount of time.

She's quite prolific compared to the Blue Nile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And look at the early work rate of one of her idols, Gary Numan:

Tubeway Army (1978)
    Replicas (1979)
    The Pleasure Principle (1979)
    Telekon (1980)

Classic albums, every single one and all released over a two year period. She`s entirely skipped the early stages of a career with a wealth of material to get out and gone straight to the bloated self-important stage where releasing an album is like Waiting for Godot.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this album. I like every single track apart from the last two which are a bit wishy-washy for me but they might grow on me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Achtung wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this album. I like every single track apart from the last two which are a bit wishy-washy for me but they might grow on me.

Me too! its a great album, in fact I'd give it 5 stars fro giving us a new word in "sexotheque". Wierd thing is I'm not gay but find myself with a huge girl crush on Elly Jackson for some reason. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And look at the early work rate of one of her idols, Gary Numan:

Tubeway Army (1978)
    Replicas (1979)
    The Pleasure Principle (1979)
    Telekon (1980)

Classic albums, every single one and all released over a two year period. She`s entirely skipped the early stages of a career with a wealth of material to get out and gone straight to the bloated self-important stage where releasing an album is like Waiting for Godot.

Most acts simply aren't that prolific these days with ever longer touring schedules, three or four year cycles are now the norm.
  • Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,239
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I purchased her new album. I like every single song on it. Hopefully the next album won't take five years to make.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the album a success commercially?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Is the album a success commercially?

Entered this week at No 6.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the 80s vibe of La Roux and particularly "Uptight Downown" - it's Duran Duran meets Bananarama. As an 80s synth/electronica fan, it's very surreal to listen to something so fresh yet so familiar.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I love the 80s vibe of La Roux and particularly "Uptight Downown" - it's Duran Duran meets Bananarama. As an 80s synth/electronica fan, it's very surreal to listen to something so fresh yet so familiar.

I think that's why I like La Roux too. I keep getting waves of the The Human League etc.