Options

BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is the drummer sitting behind bullet proof glass?
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the drummer sitting behind bullet proof glass?
    Maybe it's to do with the acoustics?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So nice to see some genuine talent, as in someone who knows how to sing properly. Richie looked like a drunk uncle gate crashing the set during the guitar solo didn't he. :D

The glass stops the sound of the drums getting into Dolly's mic. No one wants to kill her drummer, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was great fun :D
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are saying she was miming, didn't look like that to me. :o
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got Goldfrapp on on RB1.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    People are saying she was miming, didn't look like that to me. :o

I submitted evidence against the accused:
    Moggio wrote: »
    Her performance of 9-5 at Glastonbury is exactly the same as her performances of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsRNtJ72GyA

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLkM-OkXBIU

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOL9_vB379Q

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPlPebGXyhg

etc.

So, yeah, she definitely mimes.

Here is her actually performing it live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ-bezD_fXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH4txi9p-Uk
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    Bah! There aren't many professions where you'd get away with shirking the very thing you purport to trade on. I'd want my money back if I went to a concert and some embalmed marionette was stood up there telling lame anecdotes between autotuned recordings of their songs. But if people are content to go along with the charade, good for them, I guess.

I don't think it's a charade at all. She's an incredibly talented artist who has been in the industry since she was 17. Over 40 albums later, and she can still hold hundreds of thousands of people in the palm of her hand, and get them all to sing along with her even at a festival like Glastonbury (which obviously isn't exactly marketed at her target audience.)

A big part of Dolly's show is the fact that she tells the audience true stories about her life, and about what inspired the lyrics behind her songs. I personally think it's nice to hear what inspires her, and what/who made her the person she is today. A big part of her charm is her personality, and even people who don't necessarily like her music often adore her as a person.

It's certainly not a charade. And I most definitely didn't want my money back when I went to see her live earlier this month. Still, each to their own I guess :)
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blimey, Sam Smith is after piling on the weight
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I enjoyed Dolly's set, I couldn't help thinking some of her more recent bluegrass stuff would have gone down better with a Glasto audience, instead of the old pop hits.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Next up for me is Port Isla on BBC Introducing. Saw them the other week and they were pretty good: think a cross between Coldplay and The Vaccines, with a touch of the Mumfords thrown in for good measure. But don't let that put you off.
  • Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    The glass stops the sound of the drums getting into Dolly's mic. No one wants to kill her drummer, I'm sure.

Aha! I noticed Blondie had the same thing - both this year and when we went to see them at the NEC during the "No Exit" tour, so that all now makes sense.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask why the drummers are behind glass here?
    Is it so they don't interfere with sound?
  • Options
    broker2304broker2304 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goldfrapp seemed to concentrate on the later stuff which I can leave to be honest. It all sounded a bit breathy and samey to my ears for the first 35 minutes and didn't really get going until it was too late. She can rely on Train, Ride a White Horse and Strict Machine to save the day.

I also thought Alison (Goldfrapp) looked a bit ill ?? Way too thin if you ask me.
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    bbcglasto @bbcglasto

Unfortunately we will not be able to bring you @MassiveAttackUK tonight. The band have asked the BBC not to record their set.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukcarter wrote: »
    Aha! I noticed Blondie had the same thing - both this year and when we went to see them at the NEC during the "No Exit" tour, so that all now makes sense.

Yeh, Debbie Harry talked about it. The perspex screen helps protect the singer's hearing night after night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately we will not be able to bring you @MassiveAttackUK tonight. The band have asked the BBC not to record their set.

:o:o:o:o NO!

I love them, but Massive Attack do annoy me sometimes with their diva ways >:(
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So nice to see some genuine talent, as in someone who knows how to sing properly. Richie looked like a drunk uncle gate crashing the set during the guitar solo didn't he. :D

I thought he was in a witness protection programme. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, St.Vincent up next on The Park Stage..I like her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Just watching St. Vincent now. Great music but she's a little too try-hard at appearing weird or bizarre for the sake of it. There seems to be a real disconnect between her and the audience, where she's more concerned with the spectacle of how she looks than actually any honest feeling. There was an awful bit where she attempted audience-interaction and just came across as strange and non-relatable.

Apart from that, the music is great lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    That Massive Attack news is a bit rubbish. I'll watch London Grammar instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brush wrote: »
    Just watching St. Vincent now. Great music but she's a little too try-hard at appearing weird or bizarre for the sake of it. There seems to be a real disconnect between her and the audience, where she's more concerned with the spectacle of how she looks than actually any honest feeling. There was an awful bit where she attempted audience-interaction and just came across as strange and non-relatable.

Apart from that, the music is great lol.

Hehe, I know.. "Did you make a balloon out of a sheet?" :blush:

She is trying to be a bit Talking Heads in her weirdness, but as you say, good music..

Waiting for Prince Johnny..
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh, Debbie Harry talked about it. The perspex screen helps protect the singer's hearing night after night.

Metallica didn't need one ;-)

As someone who plays in a band it's nothing about "protecting the singer's hearing" as there are other things that do the job better. It is about reducing the drum sound so it doesn't overpower the other instruments. They're not necessary in rock/metal as the instruments are turned up to compensate, but in some other genres they're a good idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Jesus now she's sliding and rolling down the pink steps/platform in a ridiculous attempt at dance/performance art aka not knowing how to get down and still trying to maintain her pretentious zany-ness.

If her music wasn't so good I'd have turned over ages ago.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Metallica didn't need one ;-)

As someone who plays in a band it's nothing about "protecting the singer's hearing" as there are other things that do the job better. It is about reducing the drum sound so it doesn't overpower the other instruments. They're not necessary in rock/metal as the instruments are turned up to compensate, but in some other genres they're a good idea.

An unmiked drum kit wouldn't go very far in a venue the size of Glastonbury, would it?