Why do DS Posters get such a hard time on here?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Everyone has their views. We all have characters, storylines and even soaps which we like and dislike.

What on earth happened to "live and let live" and what's with this growing trend of ripping on other people for their opinions?

Comments

• bass55bass55 Posts: 18,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pure trolling, and I agree there's been a huge rise in it on this forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to stop. It's dragging the forum down.
  • Chase_HamylnChase_Hamyln Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    What I have noticed is that there seems to be fan wars in here. For example, Sharon vs Ronnie fans, Stacey vs Lauren fans (they are just examples). But yes there has been a bit of trolling in here so hopefully that will stop in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fan warfare is another problem. It wasn't this bad when I signed up. Personally, I refuse to join in and be a part of "Team X" or "Team Y".
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    It's only a week since we were all slapping each other on the back for being so lovely to each other!

I think there are just a few posters who won't live and let live. I agree, the fan wars are very tiresome and it does seem that everytime there is a big return it gets worse. It happened months before Sharon came back with Shirley fans, then when Kirsty turned up, then again with Ronnie and now Stacey.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Fan warfare is another problem. It wasn't this bad when I signed up. Personally, I refuse to join in and be a part of "Team X" or "Team Y".

Amen to that. I'm not 'Team' anybody, ever. I have favourite characters and will still like them even when they behave badly (Ian and David being prime examples) but I never feel the need to defend them blindly, especially at the expense of another character. Sometimes I actually agree with and understand the actions of a character I generally don't like against one that I do - alfie versus ronnie over tommy springs to mind.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't as bad as on other soap sites, where debates eventually boil down to "I've been watching longer than you so I'm a real fan."

Although, I do agree. If you hadn't have guessed (;)) I'm a huge fan of Stacey. I don't think that people should berate me for liking Stacey, I don't tell people that they're not allowed to like certain characters just because I don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems since that since 2014 began the amount of WUMs has increased.

One off my pet peeves is when you are trying to have a rational conversation with another poster and they keep on repeatedly stating "I'm entitled to my opinion", well yes they are but we are well entitled to disagree with them. It is a discussion forum for crying out loud.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Everyone has their views. We all have characters, storylines and even soaps which we like and dislike.

What on earth happened to "live and let live" and what's with this growing trend of ripping on other people for their opinions?

It's childish that's what it is. People will have different opinions that is what makes life interesting. But some people take soaps way too seriously and take criticism personally. Sometimes it feels worse than a playground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't as bad as on other soap sites, where debates eventually boil down to "I've been watching longer than you so I'm a real fan."

Although, I do agree. If you hadn't have guessed (;)) I'm a huge fan of Stacey. I don't think that people should berate me for liking Stacey, I don't tell people that they're not allowed to like certain characters just because I don't.

Yes. It really buggers me how some people get really defensive over that fact that other people are fans off Stacey and are unbelievably rude to them as a result off that, making the patronising "you must have only been watching since 2006" statement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, everyone is free to like any character they like without fear of being labelled an "obsessive" or "young", "naive" or my personal (least) favourite "wet behind the ears".
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has become ridiculous on here recently.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a mix of people looking for attention by posting inanity, or people who know very little of what they're talking about yet still prattle on as if they do.

Nature of all forums, not just DS.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much of it is down to EastEnder's history of having dominant families/characters.

With the return of Ronnie and now Stacey, and the introduction of the Carters, there seems to be a lot of anxiety that other favourite characters are going to be sidelined, so posters go on the attack/defence.

Even with the reassurance of DTC that every character is going to have a s/l this year, some posters still panic when their favourite is off screen for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    It's only a week since we were all slapping each other on the back for being so lovely to each other!

I think there are just a few posters who won't live and let live. I agree, the fan wars are very tiresome and it does seem that everytime there is a big return it gets worse. It happened months before Sharon came back with Shirley fans, then when Kirsty turned up, then again with Ronnie and now Stacey.

KitKat I agree with your post, but there was a thread over the last couple off days where we were just speculating over who would win in a catfight between the Slaters or Mitchells, just a bit off banter. :cool:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I wonder how much of it is down to EastEnder's history of having dominant families/characters.

With the return of Ronnie and now Stacey, and the introduction of the Carters, there seems to be a lot of anxiety that other favourite characters are going to be sidelined, so posters go on the attack/defence.

Even with the reassurance of DTC that every character is going to have a s/l this year, some posters still panic when their favourite is off screen for a while.

That is understandable, but taking it out on other posters is not and that seems to be going on quite a lot. I don't think it's fair for Ronnie, Stacey and Sharon fans to attack each other and essentially flame the forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    KitKat I agree with your post, but there was a thread over the last couple off days where we were just speculating over who would win in a catfight the Slaters or Mitchells, just a bit off banter. :cool:.

Banter is alright for obvious reasons (it isn't actually causing any problems) but things have a habit of escalating really quickly.

Trolls & wind-up merchants are actively involved in causing problems on here and whilst not everyone who does these things is a troll/WUM, these are the most vocal of the group.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought this was one of the nicer forums. I actually feel like I can post positive things here without people jumping down my throat. I'm sorry to hear people have been having issues.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    That is understandable, but taking it out on other posters is not and that seems to be going on quite a lot. I don't think it's fair for Ronnie, Stacey and Sharon fans to attack each other and essentially flame the forum.

Oh I agree with you Maurice, and I post far less on here recently than I used to. There is too much silliness. Hopefully it will settle down once DTC has established himself and people calm down a bit....ever the optimist.:)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be fair to say that 95% of the trolling/winding up/generally immature posts take place on EE threads? :)

*runs off and hides in cowardly manner, but still knows she's right*

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that 95% of the trolling/winding up/generally immature posts take place on EE threads? :)

*runs off and hides in cowardly manner, but still knows she's right*

:D

Having never visited threads about other soaps, I really couldn't say. Again, I don't like ripping on other soaps just because I prefer one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I agree with you Maurice, and I post far less on here recently than I used to. There is too much silliness. Hopefully it will settle down once DTC has established himself and people calm down a bit....ever the optimist.:)

That's a shame Vald as I really like your posts and I share the same opinions with you on most things Eastenders related :).

I personally wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction off driving me away from the forum.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of tension when it comes to character wars, this is where you see X is better than Y... or I've been watching since the 1900, soo I must know more than... etc It usually happens on the EE threads, I haven't seen it happen for the other soaps.

Other than that I think the posters are generally accepting of each others opinions.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We're not all the same, Maurice. ;) I would never attack a Ronnie/Sharon fan just because I like Stacey.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

Fair point although I would be concerned if people were 'panicking' or 'anxious' over their favourite character not appearing in EE for a while. After all, it is just a soap.
This discussion has been closed.