Athletics 2015

Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
Forum Member
✭✭
Another year has passed, and seven years after the 2008 Summer Olympics, Beijing will once more become the premier focal point of the athletics world as it hosts the IAAF World Championships between 22 and 30 August inclusive. It will be the second time China hosts a World Athletics Series event during this particular season since Guiyang will host the IAAF World Cross Country Championships on 28 March.

In the meantime, here's a summary of other events happening this year (lists are not exhaustive):

International championships
European Indoor Championships 6-8 March
European Games 12-28 June"
European Team Championships 20-21 June"
European U23 Championships 9-12 July
IAAF World Youth Championships 15-19 July
European Junior Championships 16-19 July
WMRA World Mountain Running Championships 19 September
IPC World Championships 22-31 October*

The IAAF World Relays will take place on 2 & 3 May. It is not shown in the above list since it is technically not a championship (perhaps an argument for the ETC as well, although that event is named as such).

Domestic/international events in the UK
Great Edinburgh Cross Country 10 January
Glasgow International Match 24 January
Indoor British Championships/Euro Indoor Trials 14-15 February
Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix 21 February
London Marathon 26 April*
Diamond League (Birmingham) 7 June
British Championships/World Trials 3-5 July
Diamond League (London) 24-25 July^
Great North Run 6 September
Cardiff Half Marathon 4 October

[" The European Games athletics programme will be a combination of street athletics & the Third League of the ETC]
[* IPC WCh marathon events will happen during the London Marathon instead, replacing the IPC Marathon World Cup this year only]
[^ I'm not sure if the Olympic Stadium will be ready by then - readiness for the Rugby World Cup should be a priority]

Comments

• Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Dina Asher-Smith has come out of the traps flying at Lee Valley today, 7.23s which is only 100th off her PB.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She ran a high 7.1 at last year's EA Age Group Championships, but the photo finish equipment malfunctioned so it was given as a hand-timed 7.2. Great opener nonetheless.

In the Xiamen Marathon (China), Mare Dibaba and Moses Mosop ran course records of 2:19:52 and 2:06:19 respectively to win their races; impressive times this early in the season. Mosop also broke the Chinese all-comers record, which previously belonged to the late Sammy Wanjiru - his 2:06:32 in the 2008 Olympic marathon remains astonishing when you consider that he did it in the summer without pacemakers.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mo Farah has dropped out of the Edinburgh Cross Country on Saturday - flu over the holidays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/30683192

He's still on for the Birmingham indoor though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm...looks like the Daily Mail have been taken in by the British sprinting hype. Regarding the premier (outdoor) competitions, a few of those particular sprinters have the potential to win individual global medals in future (Gemili the most likely at this point), and perhaps all of them relay global medals (exchanges last year were generally decent), but to refer to them as the envy of the world is ridiculous in all honesty.

On another subject, some of the youngsters shared their thoughts on London 2017.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...looks like the Daily Mail have been taken in by the British sprinting hype. Regarding the premier (outdoor) competitions, a few of those particular sprinters have the potential to win individual global medals in future (Gemili the most likely at this point), and perhaps all of them relay global medals (exchanges last year were generally decent), but to refer to them as the envy of the world is ridiculous in all honesty.

Agreed bar Adam Gemili the girls are the most promising although the Worlds is a big step from last years champs. They also forgot some of the male big names like Chinedu Ujah and James Desaolu.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Agreed bar Adam Gemili the girls are the most promising although the Worlds is a big step from last years champs. They also forgot some of the male big names like Chinedu Ujah and James Desaolu.

gemili and hudson smith for the men, to a lesser extent ujah (maybe a fluke) and dasalou (made of glass, fairly old)

for the girls - dasher and jodie williams in particular, possibly asha phillip at the sprints

have a feeling that it could be lyndsay sharps year this year and she will push on from her pb to do something special in the worlds, laura muir, aison leonard, judd are also decent prospects, gorecka at the longer distances, and kjt at the long jump and heptathlon, morgan lake too

hopefully perri shakes drayton can make a decent comeback from injury this year and holly bleasdale from whatever the hell was wrong with her

who do people think can push on from the list above and medal at the worlds this year, what about our established stars? what realistic medal prospects do you think we have?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news is that Chris Tomlinson is fighting fit and raring to go for the new season, ready to go out there and dominate the world with those massive 8.20 jumps he was doing four or five years back.. He's got to be a nailed-on certainty for heavy metal in Beijing (barring measurement accidents). Silver in the World Indoors in 2008 and bronze in the Europeans in 2010 don't forget! You don't get much bigger than that..

http://www.teamgb.com/news/tomlinson-targets-world-champs-renaissance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    gemili and hudson smith for the men, to a lesser extent ujah (maybe a fluke) and dasalou (made of glass, fairly old)
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Gemili on the podium after that 200 in Zurich; he'd probably need to break 19.80 to do so (currently 3rd place world best).
    Dasaolu (100)/Hudson-Smith (400) could be finalists this year; Ujah needs more consistency than he demonstrated last season.
    For the next few years (at least), it's likely Gemili will remain the best of the male sprinters.
    for the girls - dasher and jodie williams in particular, possibly asha phillip at the sprints
    Would be nice to see the first two (and Bianca Williams) in the 200. Jodie looks like a potential finalist; the other two probably need another season.
    Hard to see anyone in the 100 final, despite the depth demonstrated last year. Philip seems to do best over 60, even though she ran a PB in Glasgow; Dasher and Ashleigh Nelson probably need a couple more seasons, as does Desiree Henry.

Anything less than a medal for Christine Ohuruogu (400) would be disappointing. That race in Moscow was a classic.
    have a feeling that it could be lyndsay sharps year this year and she will push on from her pb to do something special in the worlds, laura muir, aison leonard, judd are also decent prospects, gorecka at the longer distances,
    Out of that bunch, Sharp is perhaps the most likely to earn a medal (800). Provided her foot is sorted out, that isn't a farfetched scenario. Laura Weightman (1500) is also a potential medalist this season as long as she maintains her good tactical acumen.
    Muir (800 or 1500) and Judd (800) seem to be potential finalists, but not yet medal winners. I'm not convinced about Leonard's potential.
    Gorecka has certainly made a great start to this season with victory in Edinburgh. She certainly has potential, but it'll probably be several years before it really comes to the fore.
    and kjt at the long jump and heptathlon, morgan lake too
    Long jump - last season's PBs (both in/out) and world indoor silver underline KJT's great potential, though the heptathlon remains her priority. Time will tell if Shara Proctor (if she's fit) can nail a big one in the WC final - which she hasn't yet done in previous editions.

Heptathlon - Where do I start?
    After 2 seasons without (much) action, JEH is focused on peaking for the 2016 Olympics, so don't expect her to win. A podium is still possible, though.
    KJT is the favourite (for now) to win - her 6682 in the Hypo-Meeting was the best performance of 2014, and progress from there would stand her in good stead. There are four foreign competitors that may well be in the mix, though.

Assuming both JEH and KJT are fit, third spot selection will be interesting, as both Lake and Jessica Taylor have it in their sights.
    Taylor needs a 249 point PB improvement to score the qualifying mark of 6075 (which Lake exceeded last season - twice). She's currently 26, but as Kelly Sotherton proved (Olympic bronze at 28), that is not impossible.
    Lake will also be eligible for the European Juniors; if she wants to enter 2 champs this year, she cannot do heptathlons in both. The transition to senior ranks over the next few years will be critical to her international career. Incidentally, she is aiming to finish in the top 8 at London 2017.
    hopefully perri shakes drayton can make a decent comeback from injury this year and holly bleasdale from whatever the hell was wrong with her
    I believe PSD is concentrating on the 400 this year, then switches back to the 400H next year, which is interesting since I wasn't sure if she'd ever hurdle again.
    Not sure how Bleasdale will fare this season.

Hard to see Farah winning the 10,000 & 5,000 together. Maybe the 10,000 (plus podium in 5,000).
    Rutherford could medal in the long jump; Porter could medal again in 100H; Sharman an outside medal shot in 110H.
    At least one medal to be earned in the relays (most likely either 4x400).
    Would also like to see the women's high jump NR hit 2m within the next few years.

I don't expect to be entirely correct in my predictions - as ever, nothing is guaranteed. There's still over half a year to go...

----

JEH will compete at this year's Hypo-Meeting, apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Morgan also confirmed last week that she will be competing at Gotzis. Any chance either BBC or Eurosport will cover it this year or will I have to rely on the Austrian TV feed again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the BBC will cover it; no idea about Eurosport. KJT wants to defend, so that makes three of them.

More stuff straight off the press - UKA have published their 2015 WC selection policy and FAQs.

Here's a particularly interesting extract:
    A maximum of 3 male and/or 3 female Combined Events athletes who finish in the top 12 at the 2015 Gotzis Hypomeeting (http://www.meeting-goetzis.at/en/home.htm) will be automatically selected for decathlon/heptathlon, provided the athlete has achieved at least one qualification standard

In theory, that changes nothing for JEH and KJT as they're a class apart from the rest. If more than 3 per country can compete in Götzis, that'll add more spice to the competition for that third spot.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the BBC will cover it; no idea about Eurosport. KJT wants to defend, so that makes three of them.

More stuff straight off the press - UKA have published their 2015 WC selection policy and FAQs.

Here's a particularly interesting extract:

In theory, that changes nothing for JEH and KJT as they're a class apart from the rest. If more than 3 per country can compete in Götzis, that'll add more spice to the competition for that third spot.

Would love Eurosport to cover Gotzis - I'm more excited for that than any Diamond League meeting.

As things stand Morgan Lake can't compete in Heptathlon at both Beijing and the Euro Juniors due to the British Athletics new selection rules which mean athletes can't double up in both age group champs and Worlds, including most ridiculously the U23s. I think it might be a bit too much to expect Jess Taylor to improve so much again this year to get the qualifying mark of 6075.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See post #9 for my thoughts on that. If (God forbid) something happens to any of the 'prize' trio this season, she might fill the gap.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Gemili on the podium after that 200 in Zurich; he'd probably need to break 19.80 to do so (currently 3rd place world best).
    Dasaolu (100)/Hudson-Smith (400) could be finalists this year; Ujah needs more consistency than he demonstrated last season.
    For the next few years (at least), it's likely Gemili will remain the best of the male sprinters.

Would be nice to see the first two (and Bianca Williams) in the 200. Jodie looks like a potential finalist; the other two probably need another season.
    Hard to see anyone in the 100 final, despite the depth demonstrated last year. Philip seems to do best over 60, even though she ran a PB in Glasgow; Dasher and Ashleigh Nelson probably need a couple more seasons, as does Desiree Henry.

Anything less than a medal for Christine Ohuruogu (400) would be disappointing. That race in Moscow was a classic.

Out of that bunch, Sharp is perhaps the most likely to earn a medal (800). Provided her foot is sorted out, that isn't a farfetched scenario. Laura Weightman (1500) is also a potential medalist this season as long as she maintains her good tactical acumen.
    Muir (800 or 1500) and Judd (800) seem to be potential finalists, but not yet medal winners. I'm not convinced about Leonard's potential.
    Gorecka has certainly made a great start to this season with victory in Edinburgh. She certainly has potential, but it'll probably be several years before it really comes to the fore.

Long jump - last season's PBs (both in/out) and world indoor silver underline KJT's great potential, though the heptathlon remains her priority. Time will tell if Shara Proctor (if she's fit) can nail a big one in the WC final - which she hasn't yet done in previous editions.

Heptathlon - Where do I start?
    After 2 seasons without (much) action, JEH is focused on peaking for the 2016 Olympics, so don't expect her to win. A podium is still possible, though.
    KJT is the favourite (for now) to win - her 6682 in the Hypo-Meeting was the best performance of 2014, and progress from there would stand her in good stead. There are four foreign competitors that may well be in the mix, though.

Assuming both JEH and KJT are fit, third spot selection will be interesting, as both Lake and Jessica Taylor have it in their sights.
    Taylor needs a 249 point PB improvement to score the qualifying mark of 6075 (which Lake exceeded last season - twice). She's currently 26, but as Kelly Sotherton proved (Olympic bronze at 28), that is not impossible.
    Lake will also be eligible for the European Juniors; if she wants to enter 2 champs this year, she cannot do heptathlons in both. The transition to senior ranks over the next few years will be critical to her international career. Incidentally, she is aiming to finish in the top 8 at London 2017.

I believe PSD is concentrating on the 400 this year, then switches back to the 400H next year, which is interesting since I wasn't sure if she'd ever hurdle again.
    Not sure how Bleasdale will fare this season.

Hard to see Farah winning the 10,000 & 5,000 together. Maybe the 10,000 (plus podium in 5,000).
    Rutherford could medal in the long jump; Porter could medal again in 100H; Sharman an outside medal shot in 110H.
    At least one medal to be earned in the relays (most likely either 4x400).
    Would also like to see the women's high jump NR hit 2m within the next few years.

I don't expect to be entirely correct in my predictions - as ever, nothing is guaranteed. There's still over half a year to go...

----

heres my predictions, wildly ambitious i know, but i feel that this will be our biggest medal haul at a worlds, obviously not all those below will win medals and there may even be a surprise in some events

100 finalist - dassalou
    200 bronze - gemili
    400 finalist mhs, rooney
    800 finalist - osagie
    1500 top 10 finish - chris o hare
    5000 gold or silver farah
    10,000 gold or silver farah (dont think he will win both)
    110 hurdles - finalist will sharman
    400 hurdles - finalist dai greene
    4x100 - medal silver or bronze (probably bronze)
    4x400 - medal silver or bronze
    long jump - medal - rutherford

100 maybe one finalist if someones season goes well and they lower their pb
    200 finalist - jodie williams
    400 medal (any colour) ohurugu
    800 medal (bronze) lyndsey sharp, final (possibly) judd
    1500 possible final - muir + weightman
    5000 pavey (will make one of the 2 finals)
    10,000 pavey (will make one of the 2 finals)
    110 hurdles bronze - porter
    400 hurdles possibe bronze
    4x100 - possible bronze or silver
    4x400 possible bronze (probably 4th or 5th)
    hep - gold , silver or bronze jeh + kjt
    long jump bronze, possibly silver kjt, proctor (possible bronze as well)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be happy if they at least match the Daegu 2011 haul of 7. Stuttgart 1993 remains the pinnacle:

* Colin Jackson & Sally Gunnell ran WRs to win gold (!); Linford Christie would have with the tailwind Carl Lewis had in Tokyo 1991 (he still ran an AR for gold!)
    * 10 medals won in total (no double-figure haul since)
    * Jonathan Edwards began his collection of 7 consecutive global triple jump medals there

In the meantime, there are a couple of Combined Events International Indoor Matches happening simultaneously on 24-25 January; Apeldoorn for the Seniors from CZE/ESP/FRA/GBR/NED and Nogent-sur-Oise for the U23s & Juniors from ESP/FRA/GBR. British teams are listed on the UKA site.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    KJT was looking rather lovely on QoS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    KJT was looking rather lovely on QoS.

She's doing the Northern Indoors in Sheffield this weekend, good to see what sort of shape she is in.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    My first athletics post of the year!! Good to see the discussion is up and running. I see Kevin Costner is staring in a new athletics movie, McFarland, about a group of kids who he transforms into a champion cross country team. True story. Should be interesting.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2097298/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British squad for Glasgow on Saturday named

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/30896611

MEN
    60m: Richard Kilty
    400m: Conrad Williams (captain)
    800m: James Bowness
    1500m: Stephen Mitchell
    60m hurdles: David Omoregie
    High jump: Chris Kandu
    Pole vault: Luke Cutts
    Long jump: Chris Tomlinson
    4x400m: Williams, Rabah Yousif, Richard Buck, Elliot Rutter, Jarryd Dunn

WOMEN
    60m: Rachel Johncock
    400m: Kelly Massey
    800m: Shelayna Oskan-Clarke
    1500m: Jessica Judd
    60m hurdles: Serita Solomon
    Long jump: Jazmin Sawyers
    4x400m: Massey, Seren Bundy-Davies, Emily Diamond, Victoria Ohuruogu

Looks like the BBC won't be covering this one as they usually do, will have a look to see if there is alternative coverage.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    She's doing the Northern Indoors in Sheffield this weekend, good to see what sort of shape she is in.

Not too bad overall - equalled her 60mh PB of 8.40, OK shot but no signs of big improvements here & a 6.62 Long Jump

British Athletics has announced the team for Saturday's international match at Glasgow. Having seen it and also the start lists I can understand why BBC aren't showing it this year.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2015-news-page/january-2015/20-01-15-gbni-glasgow/

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/british-athletics-series/sainsburys-glasgow-international-match/event-schedule/

Be interesting to see Jess Judd running the 1500 though - think that could prove to be her best event
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russia ban five race walkers, in such a way as to make sure the active ones are still available for Olympic selection in 2016. It's beyond a joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/30900087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the gift that keeps on giving...indeed there may be a belated gold medal for Olive Loughnane for her performance in the 20km walk at Berlin 2009, making her the third of (now four) IAAF World Champions from Ireland. Collectively, the Russians have to give up 6 WC medals (5 golds and a silver), but one of them (Sergey Bakulin) gets to keep his gold for the 50km walk in Daegu 2011.

What is particularly curious is their ruling on London 2012, in which 3 of the 5 walkers in question participated - Sergey Kirdyapkin keeps his 50km gold, Olga Kaniskina keeps her 20km silver, and Valeriy Borchin (who, er, evacuated himself and DNF) is given a DQ - yes, you read that right. Talk is that WADA/IAAF are likely to appeal that portion of the verdict.

BTW, Kaniskina is now head of the infamous racewalking facility in Saransk.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Not too bad overall - equalled her 60mh PB of 8.40, OK shot but no signs of big improvements here & a 6.62 Long Jump

British Athletics has announced the team for Saturday's international match at Glasgow. Having seen it and also the start lists I can understand why BBC aren't showing it this year.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2015-news-page/january-2015/20-01-15-gbni-glasgow/

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/british-athletics-series/sainsburys-glasgow-international-match/event-schedule/

Be interesting to see Jess Judd running the 1500 though - think that could prove to be her best event

More annoying that the Beeb do not have it like they used to, but if is daytime thrash instead.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first post of 2015. Did you miss me? :p Think I've made my views on this part of the season well known but I'm excited this time round because it's a global champs year.

I suspect the standard will be even higher than Moscow because it's the year before the 'pics and not the year after. Will wait until the season kicks off before making any predictions for our medal hopes...anyone know anywhere online or off I can get the glasgow meet?
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know 2017 London hosts the IPC and IAAF Athletic.
    2018 Berlin is hosting European Athletics and I heard last year the idea they are bidding for the IPC Europe Athletics.

Should this be the norm? That a city hosts both Para and able body versions of the Athletics?