Massive snow storm about to hit the states - anyone else jealous?

Comments

• Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as bad as that but I'd like some like we had back in December 2010. That was great, there were no power cuts or anything like that but I got 4 days off work (I get paid for snow days too!). It was perfectly timed too as it came Monday night, I had the rest of the week off work and then it was clear enough that we could get out and have a good time at weekend!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Much snow clearing being done in Queens (New York City)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=-WV2jJKHVw0#t=14392

Snow clearing was done all night in Times Square, using hand ploughs and bigger ones, they did a pretty good job.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsstreet
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of the reason at all to want to have loads of deep snow. People who like it tend to think only of themselves with remarks like we are OK we have everything we need like woodburners oils lamps candles, plenty of food, etc. I get paid even if I turn up for work or not.

Then consider all those who have to turn up for work to keep things running — doctors, dentists, nurses, paramedics, pharmacists, council gritting teams, ambulance drivers, firemen, police, shop workers, plumbers, electricians, power workers, telephone staff, radio, TV workers as people need informing. Things cannot just shut down with heavy falls of snow., like shut the schools because teachers cannot get in, and never mind what happens to the children whose parents are maybe doing essential work.

Oh what fun is deep snow until granny is taken ill and an ambulance cannot reach her or you have raging tooth ache with no dentist available, or a heart attack and no staff in at the local hospital to deal with you.

All those who would love to see deep snow I hope you get it stuck in a drift somewhere on a lonely road miles from anywhere. Then you will really love it.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Much snow clearing being done in Queens (New York City)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=-WV2jJKHVw0#t=14392

Snow clearing was done all night in Times Square, using hand ploughs and bigger ones, they did a pretty good job.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsstreet

It's like a ghost town.
    Forum Member
    There was some poor woman who spent an hour digging out her car earlier, but in the end she gave up and went back inside.

The roads in the Boston area are deserted apart from snowploughs. It's a veritable white desert out there, still snowing and a temperature down to minus 9 celsius, feels like -20C!!! :o

http://www1.eot.state.ma.us/boswebcammulview.aspx

6 pages of cams, all roads snow covered and deserted at noon on a weekday. 18 inches of snow so far, 30 inches at Framingham and counting...
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    No, i'm not jealous.

My grandparents are in their 80s, they don't need masses of snow and ice as an obstacle. One slip over for an elderly person can have awful consequences and if anything was to go wrong the snow would delay the emergency response.
  • Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I can think of the reason at all to want to have loads of deep snow. People who like it tend to think only of themselves with remarks like we are OK we have everything we need like woodburners oils lamps candles, plenty of food, etc. I get paid even if I turn up for work or not.

Then consider all those who have to turn up for work to keep things running — doctors, dentists, nurses, paramedics, pharmacists, council gritting teams, ambulance drivers, firemen, police, shop workers, plumbers, electricians, power workers, telephone staff, radio, TV workers as people need informing. Things cannot just shut down with heavy falls of snow., like shut the schools because teachers cannot get in, and never mind what happens to the children whose parents are maybe doing essential work.

Oh what fun is deep snow until granny is taken ill and an ambulance cannot reach her or you have raging tooth ache with no dentist available, or a heart attack and no staff in at the local hospital to deal with you.

All those who would love to see deep snow I hope you get it stuck in a drift somewhere on a lonely road miles from anywhere. Then you will really love it.

Wow! That's heavy man!!! lol.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Am probably in a small minority here but I wish we could have a massive storm like that here. Its well sign posted so everyone has time to get prepared, make sure elderly people are ok etc. But there is something quite enjoyable about being snowed in, when you have stocked up on food and drink.

Yep. Easy to get snowed in and cut off in Pimlico, innit?
  • bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Me! We've had a really rubbish winter this year in terms of snow.
    We haven't even had the customary 'dusting' here this year.

Would love a proper hefty fall - could go out sledging :)

Power cuts not a problem here - have coal-fuelled cooker and domestic hot water; battery and clockwork operated radios, and plenty of oil-lamps after my gran.

Got my camping cooker, heater and windy up lanterns :)

Prefer no snow though.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I work at the airport. Even a mere mention of snow sends a shiver down my spine as it means cancellations and pissed off people shouting at me for days on end because even though the planes can't land or take off you can bet the road to work will still be clear! >:(

No thanks. The snow can stay away and thankfully it has done so far.

I remember the last big snow fall I saw was in, I think, 2010. I couldn't get to work for 2 days, the shop I worked in at the time was closed anyway as no one could get there. No buses or trains to/from my town. My whole street was snowed in, we had a tractor come round in the middle of a blizzard to try and clear our road (the main road was just about usable but was very narrow due to snow piles on each side so was awkward). The tractor got stuck in the snow too and we all went to dig it out so the driver could go home. :D

It was fun the first day but then when you realise that it just goes on and on and there is nowhere to go, nothing to do it becomes a pain. We couldn't even walk the dog properly as it was too deep for her to manage. Thankfully our power was alright so at least we could watch TV.
    Forum Member
    Continuous live coverage at the Boston Globe... there is a continuing travel ban in all of the central and east of Massachusetts, this is where the real story is, not so much New York.

18 to 30 inches of snow so far and it's minus 9, feels like -18 in the wind. Never happens like that in lowland British cities, that combination. Not in 1947, not in 1963, never.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/26/blizzardpresser/qIPwJpoM4Zg7XI3K8sNAbI/story.html

Should be interesting to hear what Rhod Sharp has to say about it tonight on Radio Five Live (Up All Night) as he lives there!
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i am jealous. A month or two of real snowy weather would be welcome this side of the atlantic. Some will be more lucky than others to get any snow in the next few days. Live in yorkshire you get snow but live in leicestershire southwards and you will get nothing.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Yes i am jealous. A month or two of real snowy weather would be welcome this side of the atlantic. .

Speak for yourself -
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    uk weather apart from in the highlands of scotland is so puny ..we dont get anything much at all..its a bit boring if you like storms and snow / dramatic stuff
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Yes i am jealous. A month or two of real snowy weather would be welcome this side of the atlantic. Some will be more lucky than others to get any snow in the next few days. Live in yorkshire you get snow but live in leicestershire southwards and you will get nothing.

i agree south of the north midlands theres nothing..its not going to knock the skin off a rice pudding...it would be nice to have real seasons like in canada..
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

We live on the Cornish Riviera. We'll need something akin to December 2010 to see any of it here. But at least half the country could see some of the white stuff at least.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    uk weather apart from in the highlands of scotland is so puny ..we dont get anything much at all..its a bit boring if you like storms and snow / dramatic stuff

You all forgotten about the floods from this time last year?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not jealous, we couldn't handle a snow storm like that in this country. :p
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I wish it was happening here. I love the chaos a relatively tiny drop of snowfall brings to this country. Especially in work; people who aren't able to make the ten minute drive to work simply don't come in for days and I don't have to speak to them for a while and that's fantastic.

The best part is seeing a reporter standing in front of a pile of snow with their North Face jacket on, acting like they're reporting from a war torn country, trying to convey how absolutely shocking it is for it to be snowing in winter.

I look after my neighbour when it snows badly, since she's not so mobile.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Our (relatively) mild winters with only occasional snow suit me.

My envy is reserved for those who get consistently warm, dry summers.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Well, we've had quite a lot of snow here recently. We had several inches over Christmas, and just last week we got tons and tons of snow, but it wasn't that cold so it was only a few inches deep on the roads, and we have a yellow weather warning because it's apparently going to get cold over the next couple of days and we are due more snow... so yeah, not really :p Probably won't get the covering they're on about there though! Sounds like they're going to get a hell of a lot!
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Well, we've had quite a lot of snow here recently. We had several inches over Christmas, and just last week we got tons and tons of snow, but it wasn't that cold so it was only a few inches deep on the roads, and we have a yellow weather warning because it's apparently going to get cold over the next couple of days and we are due more snow... so yeah, not really :p Probably won't get the covering they're on about there though! Sounds like they're going to get a hell of a lot!
    It would be great to have snowy winters and dry summers like they do in canada, But thanks to the jet stream that aint going to happen. They say that we are in for snow. But that remains to be seen. I expect the forecasts to be wrong. Man i love snow. Would love to have a load fall in this country
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We live on the Cornish Riviera. We'll need something akin to December 2010 to see any of it here. But at least half the country could see some of the white stuff at least.

Ah le cote de Cornouaille

oo la la !
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I don't want a storm, with snow several feet deep but having had only the very lightest of dustings so far this winter, a proper covering of snow would be nice.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you OP I'd love a proper blizzard. As for not being able to go to work - I think I might just be able to cope with that :eek: