Tai Chi advice anyone?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Someone on another thread has highlighted the obvious to me, that you can get Tai Chi DVDs to do in the comfort of your own home.

I suffer with very bad anxiety and depression. At the moment the anxiety is out of control and its free floating.

For years I have been meaning to get into something that will help me focus my mind and calm it down, I do the odd yoga session on the floor to some DVDs but just dont fancy this at the moment.

I meant to join a tai chi class last year but didnt take the plunge so having heard that you can get tai chi DVDs (I mean why did it not occur to me), I have been looking at these.

Ive found some ones on Amazon that have good reviews but notice that there are some words being used by reviewers that I dont understand. One of them is that 'this DVD is 'short yang'.... Another one says its focuses on qui gong.... Now what does this mean?

Basically I need something that is good for anxiety. I have always had a really busy mind and very unbusy body, completely out of balance. I am very flexible but very unfit.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,463
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    I meant to join a tai chi class last year but didnt take the plunge so having heard that you can get tai chi DVDs (I mean why did it not occur to me), I have been looking at these.

I would suggest you go to classes, DVD's aren't really very good for learning something like this.

While Tai Chi isn't really a martial art, and looks very slow, gentle and 'easy' - it's surprisingly 'tough' on your body.

I was involved with a friend in a mixed martial arts day we did, I taught Ju Jitsu and he taught Karate, and a third person came in and taught Tai Chi - so it was basically a class full of his Karate students, of varying ages and abilities.

Anyway, over the week afterwards we received reports that the students were complaining that doing Ju Jitsu had 'hurt' them, and they were stiff and aching - quite reasonable you might think, except I was also stiff and aching - it was the Tai Chi that caused it :D. Doing the slow and gentle movements uses your muscles in ways you don't normally, and I was shocked at how it affected us all.

Obviously once you've got used to doing it, you will lose the effect - but don't be surprised if the first few weeks have a profound effect on you :D
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest you go to classes, DVD's aren't really very good for learning something like this.

While Tai Chi isn't really a martial art, and looks very slow, gentle and 'easy' - it's surprisingly 'tough' on your body.

I was involved with a friend in a mixed martial arts day we did, I taught Ju Jitsu and he taught Karate, and a third person came in and taught Tai Chi - so it was basically a class full of his Karate students, of varying ages and abilities.

Anyway, over the week afterwards we received reports that the students were complaining that doing Ju Jitsu had 'hurt' them, and they were stiff and aching - quite reasonable you might think, except I was also stiff and aching - it was the Tai Chi that caused it :D. Doing the slow and gentle movements uses your muscles in ways you don't normally, and I was shocked at how it affected us all.

Obviously once you've got used to doing it, you will lose the effect - but don't be surprised if the first few weeks have a profound effect on you :D

I know I should go to classes but I know I just wont. The friend I was going to go with can be unreliable anyway and she does suffer from bad health problems which prevent her doing things consistently so between the 2 of us it just never happened and I will just keep procrastinating if I dont get the DVDs.

Im not really after fitness as such although that would be nice. I am prepared for a bit of aching thats fine, but its more the anxiety reducing effects I would like it for.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the DVD I've had and would recommend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tai-Chi-The-Forms-DVD/dp/B00021Y85A/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1410197877&sr=8-20&keywords=tai+chi

I've also taken classes.

I find it very difficult to take my mind off things. I'm now trying to use a mind machine which does help a little.

There are two forms of Tai chi, long and short.

IMO Tai Chi is very 'Wax on, Wax off'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tai-Chi-The-Forms-DVD/dp/B00021Y85A/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1410197877&sr=8-20&keywords=tai+chi

I've also taken classes.

I find it very difficult to take my mind off things. I'm now trying to use a mind machine which does help a little.

That looks very good, although Im not sure it would suit an absolute unfit beginner like me. I have tried meditation myself but my mind seems to have a mind of its own and does what it seems to like at the time. I have been able to feel calmer when doing yoga but dont always feel like doing something thats on the floor.
  • julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a class by myself , everybody is too busy doing the class to notice you , most are on their own anyway . I took a friend a few times too
    I loved the class and got lost in the music and slow exercises , I did a few little sessions I found on u tube before I went
    have fun and enjoy yourself however you do it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've also taken classes.

What does wax on, wax off mean? So what is qi gong?
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've also taken classes.

I have that DVD it is great :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a class by myself , everybody is too busy doing the class to notice you , most are on their own anyway . I took a friend a few times too
    I loved the class and got lost in the music and slow exercises , I did a few little sessions I found on u tube before I went
    have fun and enjoy yourself however you do it

I wouldnt worry about being there on my own, I just know Im not motivated enough to go, so we were planning to motivate each other but it didnt work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    It's a lot harder than it looks! I nearly tripped myself up trying a DVD at home. My one and only attempt, I'm just not coordinated enough. I could do the arm bit or the leg bit but not both together...pathetic, right? lol
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I have that DVD it is great :)

Yes I found it very helpful, but I have difficulty remembering all the moves at once.

I can't learn dance moves either.

It's like I start learning 1 - 10 moves, but then when I get to 11, I forget how to do the first moves. :)

It is only a short sequence in all but I just find it so difficult to remember all in one go.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I found it very helpful, but I have difficulty remembering all the moves at once.

I can't learn dance moves either.

It's like I start learning 1 - 10 moves, but then when I get to 11, I forget how to do the first moves. :)

It is only a short sequence in all but I just find it so difficult to remember all in one go.

I still get confused as well but I learnt at home so i know I will make mistakes
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Nigel, you need to go to a class. There are some great training dvds out there but they should really only supplement face to face training.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,463
    Forum Member
    It's a lot harder than it looks! I nearly tripped myself up trying a DVD at home. My one and only attempt, I'm just not coordinated enough. I could do the arm bit or the leg bit but not both together...pathetic, right? lol

Not at all - I was Black Belt in Ju Jitsu (2nd Dan at the time I think?), and a Green or Blue? belt in Karate - it was far more difficult (and painful) than I imagined :D

But one attempt isn't enough - you need to keep trying, give it a chance - practice would improve your coordination.