LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well I'd prefer the 'same screen' Optimus 4X with a removable battery and a microSD slot.
    http://www.itproportal.com/2012/11/20/a-rival-to-the-nexus-4-lg-optimus-4x-p880-down-to-285/
    " possibly the most underrated handset"

Obviously, there are compromises with everything.

To me the Nexus phones arent all about spec though. There are faster units out there with better cameras/batteries/wifi/connectivity .....

but there are none out there that get the latest version of the (unbloated) software.

The Optimus would be a GREAT phone (with SD slot etc) if only it ran raw Android :(
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    The same posters also slated the iPhone for not have a memory card slot :D:D:D

memory card slot is an odd one .... Ive had a Gnex for over a year and, whilst id love 500gb I seem to have managed well with 16gb.

both sides have painted themselves into corners in the past, the iPhone brigade have equally done it with the 4s "perfect sized screen" and "widescreen is rubbish" etc.

Its a good time to be a tech lover at the mo tho with so much choice ...... really is something for everybody.

This is a good thing !

Wouldnt life be dull if we all had the same phone with all the same features and there was no competition or variety .....
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea if i want an SD card slot in my next phone.

I currently have an S3 and a 64GB card in it, but i only put media on it and its hardly used.

I use my personal cloud too much since i'm on the One Plan and BT infinity, i can use it as much as i like.

When it comes to upgrading i have no idea what the market will be like.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    ....but there are none out there that get the latest version of the (unbloated) software.
    The Optimus would be a GREAT phone (with SD slot etc) if only it ran raw Android :(

You can't go far wrong with Tegra 3 for software compatibility.
    Bloat is over emphasised, and there's nearly always modded ROMs out there.

It does have a bit of a feel of a 'Its not an iPhone' type phrase.
    Forum Member
    You can't go far wrong with Tegra 3 for software compatibility.
    Bloat is over emphasised, and there's nearly always modded ROMs out there.

as a ROM flasher I do appreciate there are raw ROMs out there .... but with a Nexus there is a little less porting required and things tend to run a little smoother with regards to custom ROM creation.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memory card slot is an odd one .... Ive had a Gnex for over a year and, whilst id love 500gb I seem to have managed well with 16gb.

both sides have painted themselves into corners in the past, the iPhone brigade have equally done it with the 4s "perfect sized screen" and "widescreen is rubbish" etc.

Its a good time to be a tech lover at the mo tho with so much choice ...... really is something for everybody.

This is a good thing !

Wouldnt life be dull if we all had the same phone with all the same features and there was no competition or variety .....

I've been alright with 16gb as well, I got an SD card on my desire HD, but never filled it. 32gb onboard would be the sweet spot I think for MOST people.
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    I've been alright with 16gb as well, I got an SD card on my desire HD, but never filled it. 32gb onboard would be the sweet spot I think for MOST people.

I agree. 32gb would be perfect.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only use wifi in shopping areas where it's free and on holiday to avoid roaming charges. Has anyone with a nexus on here tried it out in hotels or hotspots please?
    I have one week left of my 14 days to return if not happy and phone has been kept at home safe, as a result. Yes, cheaper than an iPhone or S3 but still £280 is a lot if it's going to be tricky to use the wifi when I need to. (Obviously don't need to at home).

Camera seems reasonable but none of the phone cameras are as good as a basic point and shoot camera IMO.

Did you get the fully unlocked one from Google? If you decide to return it, I bet there will be a bunch of people willing to take it off your hands!
  • BRGBRG Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you get the fully unlocked one from Google? If you decide to return it, I bet there will be a bunch of people willing to take it off your hands!

I've pm'd the poster saying just that ;)
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Nope, no win8 phone, I do have a slight technology addiction,

I own a PS3 a Wii U and a xbox360 but prefer the Xbox, hate the PS3 and Wii U is well, new..

The N4 was cheap as chips, I would of paid £389 for it though.

But aside from Xbox etc why get an n4 when I assume you had already owned the s3 and had already decided Android was poor and i5 was the best phone out there seems very very odd.

Yet this technology addiction doesn't prompt you to try w8 just buy another phone with an os you had already decided was rubbish hmmmm.

Sounds very familiar.....
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    For those on about storage, you can get 50GB FREE from Box if you sign up via the play store app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the iPhone 5, I would say IMO, its the best of a current bad bunch of phones, others disagree.I have an iPhone 5 an I'm more than happy to post pictures,I buy the things I can afford, with an iPhone you have the confidence of high resale, the N4 was under £300 so why not?
    Not a fan, what then?

The 4S goes for about £270(minus the £40 or so ebay/paypal fees = £230) second hand and the more common personal buy, a contract would have cost £720 to £900.

Maybe the 5 will also be worth £230 if it lasts 2 years. Though being reputably more robust, 2nd hand supply should also be better.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan, what then?

The 4S goes for about £270(minus the £40 or so ebay/paypal fees = £230) second hand and the more common personal buy, a contract would have cost £720 to £900.

Maybe the 5 will also be worth £230 if it lasts 2 years. Though being reputably more robust, 2nd hand supply should also be better.

Surely a contract (for any phone) includes the inclusive service that you receive?

So for example, if a contract (with phone) is £36 x 24months = £864, and the service sim only was £15x24 = £360, then the phone has only cost £504?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRG wrote: »
    I've pm'd the poster saying just that ;)

Damn! Beat me to it! :D
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan, what then?

A working and used iPhone 4S will go for £330+ on eBay.
    Forum Member

thats quite scary .... people would pay that for a used phone ????

a fool and their money etc etc :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some people paid £399 for a nexus 4 which is available for £270 if you're patient lol,
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're also desirable amongst recyclers.

O2 Recycle are offering £238.50 cash for a 4S today, compared to £129.75 for a Galaxy Nexus.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is still sold by Apple for £449 so it's not surprising that you can get £330 for it second hand.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    deleted...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If so it must mean there ain't a lot of brains when it comes to Apple phones.

Recycling stores currently sell Grade A ones sell for £280 c/w a 60 day warranty.
    The similar looking 4 is another £100 less.
    Forum Member
    Some people paid £399 for a nexus 4 which is available for £270 if you're patient lol,

oh id say the same about those who paid £399 for a N4 too :p

(Sorry Stiggles !)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    oh id say the same about those who paid £399 for a N4 too :p

(Sorry Stiggles !)

Haha! I only paid £369 :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Haha! I only paid £369 :p:D

Wow £369 for a phone on sale brandnew for £279 lol. Fanboys and their money eh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If so it must mean there ain't a lot of brains when it comes to Apple phones.

Recycling stores currently sell Grade A ones sell for £280 c/w a 60 day warranty.
    The similar looking 4 is another £100 less.

Recycling stores sell iPhone 4S for minimum £350. The 4 is £280