Options

50 Years of Fandom

CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
Forum Member
✭✭
Post 8000 and 8001 were wasted elsewhere. 8002 shall be the profound one.
But the other reason that Doctor Who is still with us, the big reason is every single viewer who switched on to this show, at any age, at any time in its history and took it into their heart. Doctor Who belongs to all of us. Everyone makes Doctor Who.

- Peter Capaldi

Over a year ago now, I attempted to celebrate the fans of Doctor Who. More specifically, those of us here willing to express and share our views. Following a rather turbulent time when even the positivity of these here boards on DigitalSpy is being called in to question (as the most hostile place in the whole of DS), I feel it is worth revisiting what we're all here for and how much it affects us. We all have our differing opinions on all varying aspects of the show, it's cast, crew, production, storylines, advertising and even whether or not 2013 is actually the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. We have even debated what counts as 'Doctor Who.' Is it just a television show or is the power of the brand underrated?

We have taken seperate stances on the BBC's abilities to promote an upcoming broadcast. We have long speculated over the identity of the 12th Doctor together. We have long speculated over the identity of the Hurt Doctor together. We all watch Doctor Who in different ways. We look out for different things. We appreciate different things. We all have different interpretations of it. We all have different investments in the show and it's cultural status. There has been both mocking and defending of the year's 50th memorabilia - presenting arguments for it's usefulness and it's uselessness.

Countless threads started over favourite showrunners, favourite Doctors and favourite companions - often misleading titled as 'best' showrunner, 'best' Doctor and 'best' companion, often without any presenting any criteria over how the 'best' of any category would be determined. Countless threads started over whether or not the BBC respects or values Doctor Who and whether the 50th anniversary has recieved the treatment we expected it to - to varying degrees depending on how Moffat's famous "taking over TV" statement has been taken over the course of the year. After all - he didn't quite say when - but we'll have a definitive answer in the next few weeks!

All the while, completely unrelated threads and discussions have been taken over by the above topics just because of a passing remark which narrowly touched on the subject. Forum users have been labelled as preaching entitlement while others have been called easily pleased. While there have been times when lines have been crossed, insults exchanged and acts of sexual misconduct implied - the appropriate users have been removed from discussions and those that remain are able to do so because it's simply a conflict of opinions. At least in the cases where misguided facts aren't thrown about which can't be backed up. ("everyone I know on my street didn't like the episode, therefore nobody on Earth liked it")

While the most heated of discussions may have appeared overwhelming at times, we're always guaranteed to have an alternate outlet. What makes us happy about Doctor Who? How should the Eleventh Doctor regenerate? Trips through Doctor Who history. The scope of this show means that we as Doctor Who fans and discussion board users are never lacking in things to talk about, speculate about, enjoy together and debate together. No matter how uncomfortable some of these discussions may become - it's still all just nonsense, really. I wouldn't condemn saladfingers just because we disagree on when a trailer should be shown. I wouldn't condemn Granny just because we appreciate Doctor Who in different ways. I absolutely wouldn't block out other users over these matters. I have only ever had one user on my ignore list and he has been banned - twice - can you tell who it is, yet?

I've said it before and so have many others, it should absolutely never stop. The discussions, the debates, the speculation, the difference of opinions... because it just feels a part of the Doctor Who experience now. Gone are the days when I just sit and watch the show - not caring over whatever anybody else thinks about it, or taking any notice of wild speculation. I'm all for it and will happily jump on in before and after every episode. When we all stop talking about it or when we all start agreeing on every possible thing connected to it - it would just all be quite boring. Where would the fun be in that?

The show has been both praised and critized for almost 50 years now. Long may it, and the series, continue. Maybe I'll be happy for much of the 50th banter to die down going in to next month. Or maybe I'll secretly long for it to stick with it. Extensive sarcasm and failed wit aside - I still heart you all, really. :)

Comments

• Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hear hear!
    Superb post CD93.
    Well worth reading for it's lashings of common sense and goodwill to all - two things that are sometimes lacking round these parts.

Here's to your next 8002 posts!
    Cheers!
    Richard
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit 'forumed-out' after being stuck indoors for a couple of days, so will have a break for a few days, but.....

What a lovely post, CD93. Back at you! :)
  • Options
    Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    *Staggers out of the Inn, drink in hand*

Well said

*Starts to applaud, spills drink*

expletive deleted

*Staggers back to the Inn*
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD, you're a sweetheart, and I love you. :)

(Remind me I said this next time we're arguing;))

Disclaimer: This does not mean I want to have an affair with CD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG! Granny and CD are having an affair!:p;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God, that original thread was over a year ago?! :eek:

But awesome thread CD93; despite all the debates/arguments, we're still all here for Doctor Who :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! Granny and CD are having an affair!:p;):D

Wrong! We're both having affairs with Moffat! :p

(Apologies, Moff, if you're reading this.:o Only joking)
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome post, exactly what this forum needs! Some happiness! :)
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome post, exactly what this forum needs! Some happiness! :)

Indeed, along with some sanity and tolerance!

:D

(sanity being a relative term of course. I can't vouch for mine :o )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    Indeed, along with some sanity and tolerance!

(sanity being a relative term of course. I can't vouch for mine :o )

Considering we are all figments of your imagination.
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering we are all figments of your imagination.

Fevered imagination at that!

**Transmats to Inn to perpare extra large vats of mulled Cyber**
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Far too sensible. :mad:

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's that bloody trailer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still. In all seriousness I salute you CD93 for a lovely post. I agree with every word. And its the perfect tonic after a fraught few days.

I know myself I am no doubt highly annoying and belligerent at times. And sometimes things get a bit dramatic and heated. But why not? I think most of us know where the line is and even when crossed a bit we can pull it back and all remain civil and good natured. However argumentative things get we have a shared love of something and that conquers all. And its easy to tell most of the time when the wind up merchants and t**** are on the loose. They burn brightly and loudly and then get mercifully silenced. Fact is even among those I disagree with most vehemently on here I would gladly share a drink with every one of them.

Your post stands as good testament to this place and we should all hold it in our thoughts as the forum will no doubt get a little crazy for the next few weeks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know myself I am no doubt highly annoying and belligerent at times!

No! Surely not!!:eek:

(Only kidding - I love you too. ;):D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! Surely not!!:eek:

(Only kidding - I love you too. ;):D)

*throws Granny out of the clique*

*locks clubhouse*

*puts up a sign*

'No Granny McSmiths allowed'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely, lovely post.

And I'm not just saying that because you linked a thread I started; well, only a bit..:p

Another couple of points:

1) I've noticed that threads here have a very high View count, compared to most fora I use. That means there are hundreds of lurkers for every poster.

I was a lurker for at least two years before I registered.

So if lurkers just see everyone here throwing sausage rolls at each other (or worse) then I think the forum is doing them a dis-service. It's not just fellow posters we should remember, but the folks up in the circle seats.

2) The concept of fan and fandom bothers me a bit; it's quite rigid, as a concept. The reality is, I suspect, that people phase-in and phase-out of being fans, as time and tastes change. They may also change within certain contexts.

I'm known as a mahoosive Who fan at work, for example, but I am well aware that 'my' kind of fandom is just the tip of the ice-berg, and that it may (or may not) vary over time & space.

Anyway, great thread!
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huzzah!

CD93, thank you for a post which I can only describe as magisterial (but not in a bad Devil's End sort of way, obviously).
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must be an American at heart - he is so reasonable! :D
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember, as a sperm, swimming into my dad's eye and watching the earliest DW episodes. About ten years later I decided to make a break-out attempt and found my mother's womb. It was quite an adventure but fun. It led to me being born and seeing DW with my own eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    I remember, as a sperm, swimming into my dad's eye and watching the earliest DW episodes. About ten years later I decided to make a break-out attempt and found my mother's womb. It was quite an adventure but fun. It led to me being born and seeing DW with my own eyes.

Ah, the Medusa Cascade.