When is Doctor Who returning for the new series?

sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if there is a thread on this but do you have any idea when Doctor Who will return? Apparently it is September 2014. That would be a shame if it's true :(

Series 7 started in late August 2012 and ended in May 2013. Cannot believe we would wait for another year if it's back in September 2014.

Comments

• sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a long wait, I can't wait that long but you probably knew that already.:D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filming starts in January - how fast do you think they can work? :D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A discussion involving this has arisen on the "Why did the BBC destroy Doctor Who's schedule" thread, if you're interested.

Basically Doctor Who will be returning no earlier than August 2014, but September is more likely. So yes, a very long wait, but it's supposed to be an unbroken run of at least 12 episodes so at least no split (hopefully).

There are rumours of an Easter special, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote:
    January, that is a surprise:D, maybe February might be less cold.:D
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

In my opinion fast enough to make an Easter special!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A discussion involving this has arisen on the "Why did the BBC destroy Doctor Who's schedule" thread, if you're interested.

Basically Doctor Who will be returning no earlier than August 2014, but September is more likely. So yes, a very long wait, but it's supposed to be an unbroken run of at least 12 episodes so at least no split (hopefully).

There are rumours of an Easter special, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one.

TBH I can see the mods combining the two threads very soon!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well that's good news to hear.
    The Autumn will be a wonderful time to broadcast it as well.

If it's being aired at that time of year it could get monster ratings.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    January, that is a surprise:D, maybe February might be less cold.:D

They crashed in the TARDIS and they can't get out! It is all studio work then. :D
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    In my opinion fast enough to make an Easter special!

Good point actually. Planet Of The Dead was made in Wales and Dubai during January/February 2009 and was shown on Easter Saturday in April. It can be done.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    as i have said on another thread, if there isn't an easter special it could well ruin capaldi's entrance before it's even happened. september is long enough that casual viewers may not even remember seeing him at the end of the regeneration seeing it was only one short clip nine months previous and be a bit like 'who the hell is that guy,im lost' which could result in people switching off before he's even had a chance
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as i have said on another thread, if there isn't an easter special it could well ruin capaldi's entrance before it's even happened. september is long enough that casual viewers may not even remember seeing him at the end of the regeneration seeing it was only one short clip nine months previous and be a bit like 'who the hell is that guy,im lost' which could result in people switching off before he's even had a chance

I can't see a one off story helping the public get familiar with a new Doctor either.
    The Christmas Invasion got away with it because the full series followed just a few months later. But the gap between Easter and (probably) September is too long.
    PC has a far better chance of becoming well established with a full series in the autumn. And the production team will have plenty of time to (hopefully) get it right by then, rather than rushing into a one off at Easter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if there is a thread on this but do you have any idea when Doctor Who will return? Apparently it is September 2014. That would be a shame if it's true :(

Series 7 started in late August 2012 and ended in May 2013. Cannot believe we would wait for another year if it's back in September 2014.

Actually, it started on Christmas 2011. I agree it is shame. But unfortunalelly, we will have to wait until september. I hope I am wrong.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    I can't see it being September because that goes almost right upto Christmas month. Surely it will be August if there are 12 episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member

Well we had how long between the end of Season 1 and the Christmas Invasion? Casual viewers are far more likely to just tune in at Christmas, how confused must they have been to see a new guy as the Doctor? Clearly he must have been a terribly unpopular incarnation in the end then...
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gap between Tom Baker's final episode and Peter Davison's first was about 9 months - And Peter D had arguably the hardest job since Patrick Troughton when it came to replacing the preceding Doctor! And fortunately he turned out fine, producing the most successful era of JNT's reign.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Spence1115 wrote: »
    Well we had how long between the end of Season 1 and the Christmas Invasion? Casual viewers are far more likely to just tune in at Christmas, how confused must they have been to see a new guy as the Doctor? Clearly he must have been a terribly unpopular incarnation in the end then...
    that was definitely less than the proposed nine months were expecting to wait now and I don't think you can assume casual viewer translates as only watches at christmas. there are some shows I miss episodes off but I've certainly never ignored a show all year around then watched it every christmas
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to have the break. A new series starting in September suits me fine. I've been a bit who'd out by everything that happened in 2013. Not that there is an easter special but it would be a massive mistake if there was one. A new doctor needs and deserves to have the narrative of a continuing series. Specials are only ok for established doctors IMO.