Plastic bag smell of fish?

Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Probably a really mundane question but does anyone know of a reason why a new plastic bag would smell really strongly of fish?

It's a orindary plastic carrier bag, biodegradable I think? (Writing in polish so I'm not sure). I know it sounds really stupid but I have OCD and with it a contamination theme/phobia. I already drank something that was in the bag and so my minds now gone into overdrive about it.

Comments

• TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    Probably a really mundane question but does anyone know of a reason why a new plastic bag would smell really strongly of fish?

It's a orindary plastic carrier bag, biodegradable I think? (Writing in polish so I'm not sure). I know it sounds really stupid but I have OCD and with it a contamination theme/phobia. I already drank something that was in the bag and so my minds now gone into overdrive about it.

Did you swallow the goldfish?

A bloke got into serious trouble for that recently.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chihiro94 wrote: »

If the text on the bag said: NIE PIJ TEGO, then make an appointment at your G.P. for a check-up.
    I seriously doubt that it did say that, but you need to be sure.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a fillet of smoked haddock into it and it will suddenly fall into context.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s maybe been stored somewhere smelly, carrier bags pick up the damp stench of my flat overnight. try not to worry, you won`t have made yourself physically ill.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    If the text on the bag said: NIE PIJ TEGO, then make an appointment at your G.P. for a check-up.
    I seriously doubt that it did say that, but you need to be sure.

When was the last time you bought a carrier bag full of liquid sloshing around freely inside it!? The OP obviously drank from a can or carton that had previously been carried around in the bag. I assume you're trying to be funny, which perhaps is not the kindest thing to do to someone who has OCD. OP, don't translate the above - ignore this.

OP, I have a very sensitive sense of smell and sometimes plastic bags do have a strange fishy smell to me, especially when they've been in the sun or somewhere warm. Don't worry about it at all.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    When was the last time you bought a carrier bag full of liquid sloshing around freely inside it!? The OP obviously drank from a can or carton that had previously been carried around in the bag. I assume you're trying to be funny, which perhaps is not the kindest thing to do to someone who has OCD. OP, don't translate the above - ignore this.

OP, I have a very sensitive sense of smell and sometimes plastic bags do have a strange fishy smell to me, especially when they've been in the sun or somewhere warm. Don't worry about it at all.

I won't say what it means, but I asked a Polish girl where I work, what it meant.
    I think that the guy who posted, see your GP, was saying it tongue in cheek, but the bag may have contained a bottle or can, but hardly loose liquid.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some handbags made of man made material can also smell fishy. I remember reading that a bag from one of the chains kept getting returned for the reason that it stunk of fish. I really liked a bag in TK Maxx once. Had to reject it because of the fishy smell! Must be the way it is treated (or smoked!)