Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    The episode where Phoebe meets her real father really annoyed me, because from then on he was never referred to or seen again.

Possibly because the actor who played him was utterly atrocious. I know it was only a sitcom but come on!!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to analyse the later episodes by his weight gain/loss. He managed to look perfectly healthy at the very back end of the series but there was one (seven I think) where you could see he wasn't well. Way too thin. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that's where the writers came up with the Tulsa storyline. He was getting treatment.

I remember it was noticeable because a season premiere was set on the same night/immediately after the end of the previous season and his dramatic weight loss wrecked the continuity and stuck out like a sore thumb.

The Tulsa storyline came about in season 9 though when he had already gotten back to a healthy weight and he was still in the show as much as ever. Don't think that had anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I remember it was noticeable because a season premiere was set on the same night/immediately after the end of the previous season and his dramatic weight loss wrecked the continuity and stuck out like a sore thumb.

The Tulsa storyline came about in season 9 though when he had already gotten back to a healthy weight and he was still in the show as much as ever. Don't think that had anything to do with it.

I'm probably wrong about it, it's years since I saw it - when E4 lost the rights and everyone went 'Thank God for that' and then two days later went 'Oh crap, Friends isn't on!'
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    What was the point of the Tulsa storyline anyway, the kick Chandler needed to finally quit his job? ... It was all a bit random
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt read all thread so this has prob been mentioned .....
    but Chandler and Joey's apartment number was 4, and Monica and Rach was 5 , then they switched numbers at some numbers at some point, not exactly sure when

also monica had a throwover and her stereo were exact same as ones i had
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    didnt read all thread so this has prob been mentioned .....
    but Chandler and Joey's apartment number was 4, and Monica and Rach was 5 , then they switched numbers at some numbers at some point, not exactly sure when

also monica had a throwover and her stereo were exact same as ones i had

They changed them as they felt the numbers were too low for the position of their apartments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it was changed a couple of episodes into season 1 because the view out of the window depicted the apartment on a higher floor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was there something strange about them being on the top floor and then there was an episode where the guy living upstairs was noisy, or were they just lucky having a nice balcony where they were and they were never on the top floor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were never on the top floor, the view through the window and the fact they had a balcony just meant they weren't at the bottom. Which 4/5 indicated they were, so the number's changed.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that this is the biggest inconsistency

Pilot episode - Monica introduces Rachel to everyone.
    TOW Rachel finds out - Chandler references Ross falling in love with Carol at college (the assumption that Rachel, Ross, Carol, Chandler and Monica were at college together)
    TOW The Flashback - Rachel comes to NY with her bridesmaids and she meets and fantasizes about making out with Chandler.
    TOW The Thanksgiving Flashbacks - he meets Rachel (and her big nose) for the first time.

that last one also contradicts Chandler's surprise at Rachel's old nose in TWO The Prom Video

Granted I'm being a bit sad pointing this out, but it is the most glaring of the Friends continuity issues

:D

Never thought of that. In the pilot Rachel didn't know anyone apart from Monica and Ross yet in later episodes in flashbacks she is shown with chandler
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Ross had his spray tan mishap, why didn't he just turn around when he was getting over sprayed in the face?
  • Options
    leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    When Ross had his spray tan mishap, why didn't he just turn around when he was getting over sprayed in the face?

Lol when I see that episode even now I just want to scream at the TV

Just turn around, TURN AROUND, don't stand there for 5 seconds
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Harris_07 wrote: »
    I came on to post this! :D

I thought that they could put in a reference in there or something. Anyway, it's nice to know someone else realised it.

Didn't Richard have a Magnum, P.I DVD (or video) in his collection when Joey and Chandler were in his apartment?
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this thread! My main gripe was always that Monica was this fancy chef...but all she ever made was frickin lasagne!

Also, I hate phoebe, totally agree with the comments on here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Rachel was telling Phoebe and Monica about her first kiss with Ross, Monica seemed a little bit too excited about it, almost turned on :s.

Monica and Chandler taking the twins home practically as soon as they were born. Surely being slightly premature they'd have to stay in hospital anyway, but coupled with the adoption issue I'd have thought they wouldn't be allowed to them straight away. Not sure how the US adoption process works.
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monica is high maintanence and Rachel is a pushover :D

She's not a vegan. She is a veggie who ate meat when she was pregnant, which is understandable.

I never got the reaction from Monica over the whole mugging incident. She actually told her it was 'awful'. You know what else is awful? A child living on the streets of NY. I don't know what reaction Monica wanted from Pheebs, but she shouldn't have been made to feel bad for something she did to survive when she was a child. She didn't hurt anyone. She just scared the crap out of a young geeky Ross :D

Also, the cop stabbed her first :p

It is? That was about as understandable as the episode where she wore the fur coat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Rachel was telling Phoebe and Monica about her first kiss with Ross, Monica seemed a little bit too excited about it, almost turned on :s.

Monica and Chandler taking the twins home practically as soon as they were born. Surely being slightly premature they'd have to stay in hospital anyway, but coupled with the adoption issue I'd have thought they wouldn't be allowed to them straight away. Not sure how the US adoption process works.

Also, the fact that dippy Erica didn't know she was having twins...erm, don't they do pregnancy scans in America??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on the Doc's notes she was having twins. But when they told her "both' heartbeats were healthy she thought they meant hers and the baby. Still tho she surely would have been told she was having twins and shown them on the scan monitor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Erica being too stupid to understand that the doctors telling her there were two babies in there I can almost understand, especially as she didn't know how pregnancy occurs in the first place (shovelleeeee joeeeee) but the fact that Monica and Chandler were just allowed to take them home no problem was a bit ... Suspension of disbelify just for the sake of rounding off the story quickly.
  • Options
    TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Simone17 wrote: »
    It is? That was about as understandable as the episode where she wore the fur coat.

As a vegetarian, I think it's very understandable. Being pregnant can be uncomfortable enough without craving something you can't have. The poor woman was carrying triplets. I don't begrudge her meat, especially since Joey promised to lay off it for a while (although whether he stuck to that outside of London is anyone's guess).

The fur coat storyline was ridiculous and I don't excuse that at all, but it was a moment of madness from Phoebe. She did realise how much of a hypocrite she was being and stopped wearing it within the episode. Again, I don't excuse it, but nobody's perfect :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kitchen in Ross' apartment looked too big for the space its in, looks like half of it should be in the hall way outide the apartment.

Also when in Barbados when they're listening to Ross through the wall it looks more like the other side of the wall is actually the corridor.

Didn't they also often refer to Erica as a surrogate? Which she technically wasn't as she wasn't carrying their babies but her own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebe's birth scene with the triplets was rather annoying because a) it was Phoebe centred and b) she just squeezed out triplets in a few little pushes, the whole thing was very unconvincing. Rachel's birth scene was much more realistic!
  • Options
    LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure that one of joeys girlfriends shows up in a later episode as a completely different character. As the girlfriend, she's the one who is quite short, long wavy hair...who keeps punching joey really hard although she doesn't realise it.

I know she appears again later on...as someone else...but I can't remember the episode or scene....can anyone else...otherwise I might just have to start watching again!
  • Options
    TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I am pretty sure that one of joeys girlfriends shows up in a later episode as a completely different character. As the girlfriend, she's the one who is quite short, long wavy hair...who keeps punching joey really hard although she doesn't realise it.

I know she appears again later on...as someone else...but I can't remember the episode or scene....can anyone else...otherwise I might just have to start watching again!

Soleil Moon Frye only appeared in one episode. Maybe she looks a bit like another actress who appeared on the show in a later series.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah she's only been in one episode. Are you maybe thinking of where Joey has a girlfriend called Kate Miller and then in Barbados Rachel chooses a nametag with Kate Miller on it?