Aussie soaps of the past

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
now we all know of Neighbours and Home And Away I watched both of them from when I was a few months old up to when H and A left ITV I have such fond memories of Aussie soaps having been born during their peek in the late 80s when they were all over the BBC and ITV
what are your favourite long-gone Australian soaps
mine are
Richmond Hill-anyone else remember that
A Country Practice
The Young Doctors-I watched that one on Sky One but I don't think TYD was ever broadcast on my local ITV station Scottish does anyone know if it was
The Sullivans-the one set during World War Two
Sons And Daughters
and who could forget the mother of all Australian soaps Prisoner Cell Block H what a cracking show to see Joan The Flea being sent to prison herself in the final episode was a great send-off for the show

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    The Flying Doctors
    Chances
    Return to Eden
    E Street
    Paradise Beach
    Pacific Drive
    Echo Point
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An old programme called Certain Women has entered my furry brain
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    number 96
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young Ramsay with John Hargreaves and Serge Lazareff
    Heartbreak High
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    used to watch most of them in the OP :D

gawd the acting was terrible though, except for the sullivans which was passable
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    used to watch most of them in the OP :D

gawd the acting was terrible though, except for the sullivans which was passable

A country practice:D
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoner: Cell Block H.

Although in Australia it was known only as "Prisoner" ... the "Cell Block H" bit was added only for us lot
    over here, partly to avoid confusion with 1960's weirdness "The Prisoner", and to illustrate the fact that
    it concentrated mainly on the inmates in the "H Block" section of the Wentworth Detention Centre.

(As far as I can remember anyway . . . )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    The Sullivans I remember from the very early 1980s, when I was on the dole It was the highlight of my day!:eek:
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Flying Doctors!
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I would stay up late to watch prisoner of cell block H and can remember when I was off school sick that sons and daughter was always on and have only just now found myself singing the theme tune in my head
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved A Country Practice so much I even went to 'Wandin Valley' when I was in Australia to see where they filmed.

Very odd to see the young dishy character from there as the not so young and harder to love one in Home and Away right now.

Took me a while to recognise him!
  • kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved A Country Practice so much I even went to 'Wandin Valley' when I was in Australia to see where they filmed.

I loved a Country Practice

also Flying Doctors.
    Visited Flying Doctors HQ when I was in Alice Springs

( sad to admit butI have also been to Ramsay St)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    retroguy wrote: »
    now we all know of Neighbours and Home And Away I watched both of them from when I was a few months old up to when H and A left ITV I have such fond memories of Aussie soaps having been born during their peek in the late 80s when they were all over the BBC and ITV
    what are your favourite long-gone Australian soaps
    mine are
    Richmond Hill-anyone else remember that <snip>

Okay, I'll rise to it: how could you have watched Richmond Hill and remembered it? You were only 2 months old when it started and it was only on for a year or so (and has never been repeated afaik). :rolleyes:

But, yes, I loved Richmond Hill, S&D, Prisoner, Return To Eden and Pacific Drive. :)
  • BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Henderson Kids
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh_Matron wrote: »
    Okay, I'll rise to it: how could you have watched Richmond Hill and remembered it? You were only 2 months old when it started and it was only on for a year or so (and has never been repeated afaik). :rolleyes:

But, yes, I loved Richmond Hill, S&D, Prisoner, Return To Eden and Pacific Drive. :)
    I remember Richmond Hill as one of the very first shows I watched on ITV Daytime around Jan/Feb 1989