£7 per month for HD.

Comments

• Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Haven't asked you to prove it, just found it strange another customer (cbcdesign ) couldn't get a deal done today when others have.

fair enough, just me being me I guess. If you try to access Vm's site now it's been pulled for some improvements. http://shop.virginmedia.com/ can you access it?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    might get shut of my 50mg BB and downgrade it to 20mg just to save some cash to pay for these bloody channels... but its a shame there wasnt some kinds of petition to sign online in refusal to bow down to skys ways to control what VM do with the channels,

I'd rather keep my 50mb there's bugger all on most of the channels anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    fair enough, just me being me I guess. If you try to access Vm's site now it's been pulled for some improvements. http://shop.virginmedia.com/ can you access it?

yep, that confirms that it's not free for anyone who didn't believe it before,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsontom wrote: »
    yep, that confirms that it's not free for anyone who didn't believe it before,

How it says the site has been taken down for improvements?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Agreed for a communications company they are very poor, they did not announce that 5 HD would be available last week!

To be fair I have regular communication with Twitter team now as Ive had loads of probs with my service and CS are crap. Twitter team told me to deal with them direct and they usually get back to me in a couple of hours or within a day.

They emailed me on morning of the launch of 5HD to tell me and I recieved a press release as well and they said the deal was only confirmed the evening before.

I dont think the deal was or is yet confirmed for Sky HD premium channels but is on the verge of so some VM staff are opening there mouths and telling customers info which isnt 100 percent confirmed. From the guy told me announcement was imminent and they are trying to get the other 3 channels in HD that we would be missing on sky Sports which I guess is the reason why they are stalling on the annoucement. Probably also trying to confirm the Sky basic HD channels as well as a sweetner maybe to shut up some of us (including me) that are moaning about this proposed 7 quid fee for Sky HD premium channels in light of Ofcom ruling on Sky Sports prices.

I'm gonna wait til I see it in a press release/official announcement... it is definately coming but finer details will be revealed shortly but probably is what's being discussed as looks like cat is already been let out of the bag.
  • gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big one i think nobody has asked when taking the hd variants off sports and movies does it tie you into a new 12 month contract?.
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    gagde wrote: »
    The big one i think nobody has asked when taking the hd variants off sports and movies does it tie you into a new 12 month contract?.
    No it doesn't. It will be 30 days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    nick.king wrote: »
    How it says the site has been taken down for improvements?

well yes obviously they're changing it to put the £7 hd option in.

If it was free they wouldn't need to change anything. duh
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member

Shop.virginmedia.com isn't a current customer site - anything that appears there is under test only. http://allyours.virginmedia.com is the current customer site and is still up
  • Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Shop.virginmedia.com isn't a current customer site - anything that appears there is under test only. http://allyours.virginmedia.com is the current customer site and is still up

Thanks... my wife showed me that link it's her fault.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We deffo won't be getting SS3 & 4. Why would Sky have spent all that money advertising that Sky is the only place to get all the channels?
    Also they've moved all European golf to SS3, just to make sue that Sky will be the only place to watch the Ryder cup in HD.
    As golf is one of my favourites I won't be spending another £7 bringing my bill up to £100.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Agreed for a communications company they are very poor, they did not announce that 5 HD would be available last week!

To be fair it's FAR better not to announce it, rather than announce a date and then it doesn't happen. I suspect it all came together far more suddenly than anyone expected?.
  • darthlinuxdarthlinux Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am happy with the upscaled SD sports channels, what happens if you only want the sports? you till have to pay £7 jokers
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darthlinux wrote: »
    I am happy with the upscaled SD sports channels, what happens if you only want the sports? you till have to pay £7 jokers

Yes i tend to agree i do not take the movies not that interested in watching the films,sports i do take and even if i were considering upgrading to HD sports £7 for two channels is not what i would be thinking of paying,its too much,only if you got HD sky sports 3 and 4 as well would i be thinking of subbing at that price.

Good on virgin though for getting them,probably sky are more to blame for the price though.
  • womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

..... And without wishing to promote a slanging match here, (and with all respect to Coulsontom) this one comment sums up most of the other comments on this thread.

Everything is rumour until confirmed!. We have some posters here who say they have managed to presign for the HD channels, and some who say they have not managed it. Some say the price is £7, whilst nothing official has come from Virgin.

I am still awaiting the post that says they are dumping Virgin and going to sky !, or what about the post that says they will be calling retentions. Why not just wait until the channels and pricing are announced ?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread as I dont subscribe to the sports or movies as I'm a tight git, but if Virgin are charged for the HD versions, it seems to me to be only fair Virgin pass on the cost. As one poster said, you are under no liberty to have them if you dont want them.

I think we all have to be honest here and say that Virgin have come on in leaps and bounds since taking over. Some bits are still flaky, but the introduction of N3 to protect revenue, plus the new Tivo boxes will only enhance our viewing pleasure.

If they absorbed the cost of the channels, how would they possibly progress as a company ?

Let's just sit and wait for the announcement and not try to rush to be the first to sign up for the inevitable willy waving bragging rights !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Sky Movies and Sports HD channels have appeared in the EPG over night, and a message saying to go to www.virginmedia.com/skyhd for info on how to subscribe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah duh..... http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=1

You could always go there, still working fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi virgin have adverts in the national press today i got a national paper and the london metro both carried adverts for the new sky sports HD channels on virgin media,and stated the cost as £7 for sports HD 1 and HD 2.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    yoda234 wrote: »
    Sky Movies and Sports HD channels have appeared in the EPG over night, and a message saying to go to www.virginmedia.com/skyhd for info on how to subscribe.

Actually www.virginmedia.com/sportsHD according to the newspaper ad although doesn't seem to be up to speed either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    We deffo won't be getting SS3 & 4. Why would Sky have spent all that money advertising that Sky is the only place to get all the channels?
    Also they've moved all European golf to SS3, just to make sue that Sky will be the only place to watch the Ryder cup in HD.
    As golf is one of my favourites I won't be spending another £7 bringing my bill up to £100.

I love my golf and it would be the only reason for me in upgrading to HD versions. However if most of that coverage is now on SS3/4 then I'm not sure I'd be a long term subscriber.

Lots of HD football on Eurosport, ESPN, some on BBC HD so not bothered with more Premiership in Sky HD. :yawn:

After saying all that, I bet I have a taste of this during August, especially if we're only talking about 30 day contracts. :D
  • womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi virgin have adverts in the national press today i got a national paper and the london metro both carried adverts for the new sky sports HD channels on virgin media,and stated the cost as £7 for sports HD 1 and HD 2.

The ad in the Metro is on page 44, and does say the cost of HD is £7 a month.

Throught they could have placed the ad on a more prominent page !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that Virgin aren't doing the channels free for a weekend or so in the run up to the new football season. In my case, I've never seen Sky Sports HD on my TV so I don't know how much better the picture will be than the SD versions, a free promo weekend where I can watch one or two games or a test match might entice me to pay the £7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wombler wrote: »
    The ad in the Metro is on page 44, and does say the cost of HD is £7 a month.

Throught they could have placed the ad on a more prominent page !

Hi Wombler check the very small print at the bottom of the page, the main headlines in the ad do not mention a price however in the small print at the bottom where they compare it to skys HD charges there is a price for comparison which states £7.

I agree with you about the prominence of the ad and the fact you have to look in the small print to find out the price!:)
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think VM are re thinking the pricing, maybe they wanted customers to think its £7 per box to see if customers would subscribe, lets wait and see what the announce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoda234 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Virgin aren't doing the channels free for a weekend or so in the run up to the new football season. In my case, I've never seen Sky Sports HD on my TV so I don't know how much better the picture will be than the SD versions, a free promo weekend where I can watch one or two games or a test match might entice me to pay the £7.

yoda 234 if you have TVXL check out the HD picture on ESPNS football coverage sky produce the broadcast for ESPN so i should imamgine skys own HD sports channels will look very similar in quality.:)