Options

Catholic church condemns IVF pioneer.

Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A Vatican official has said the awarding of the Nobel Prize for Medicine to British IVF pioneer Robert Edwards is "completely out of order".

Source.

Now speaking as someone who has first hand knowlegde of the joy that IVF can bring I respectly suggets the church shuts up on this. Surely every life is sacred however it occurs ?

Yet again the church seems to step in with an opinon on how everyone else should conduct there business. Shame they not always so understanding of other people holding views they might not agree with.

Comments

• Options
    CandlelightsCandlelights Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Source.

Now speaking as someone who has first hand knowlegde of the joy that IVF can bring I respectly suggets the church shuts up on this. Surely every life is sacred however it occurs ?

Yet again the church seems to step in with an opinon on how everyone else should conduct there business. Shame they not always so understanding of other people holding views they might not agree with.

Everybody does that.

Now, everybody knows where the church stands on these issues.
    Why does it come as shock? It is their beliefs why not let them get on with it, and those in need IVF treatment just go ahead and get on with.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They weren't keen on Copernicus either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    Old news.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    IVF is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let him have his silly opinion. It won't change anything.

I don't like Eastenders, but I don't suppose the BBC will pull it just coz I said so :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody does that.

Most people have diffeent views, however most people accept that people having different views is not a bad thing.

Most people that is...
    "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Most people dont like to suggest those who do have differening views as Nazis as the boss of Christianty Inc seems be saying.. However the point is surely all children are special so the fact that science can assist in creation should be a good thing should it now ? After all, if you believe in such things, God created man in his own image...so we create life (kind of) and thats wrong ?

So why is IVF so wrong if all life is sacred ? To deny IVF would be to deny life ?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as no one is pinning this Vatican spokesman down and forcing him to have IVF against his will, I don't see it's any of his bloody business.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iannai wrote: »
    Let him have his silly opinion. It won't change anything.

I don't like Eastenders, but I don't suppose the BBC will pull it just coz I said so :D

He is completely entitled to hold and express his opinion just as others have the right to oppose it. I've no problems with that. It's when such people expect/are granted exemptions from laws or actually impose their beliefs on others that I do have a problem.
  • Options
    bluebroombluebroom Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the church have no business condeming this when they wont allow condoms when people are in danger of dying from aids....whatever
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuff the RC church...

Let them live in the dark ages if they choose, others however do not, and wish to live in the 21st century.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't condemn it when the IVF couple McCann met his Holiness did they. Fekking hypocrites.
  • Options
    qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are against anything that is "unnatural" then surely they should be against all of medical science. I doubt any of them would refuse treatment on that basis. I know everyone is hypocritical to an extent, but they are something else.
  • Options
    bluebroombluebroom Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't condemn it when the IVF couple McCann met his Holiness did they. Fekking hypocrites.
    didnt condone it either,what the fk is going on with that case? i have left it 3 years later couldnt be arsed anymore with those fkwits
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    IVF is a wonderful thing.

Oh really? I don't support the catholic church, but if a couple (for whatever reason) are unable to naturally conceive, then aren't we asking for trouble in the long run by allowing otherwise infertile people to have babies?

It seems to me that the more medical intervention there is, the less viable humans as a species are becoming. I'm not joking when I say that the only members of the human race allowed to reproduce should be those who could have done so anyway without any medical intervention during their entire childhood. That would rule me out. It would rule a lot of other people out too.

I consider IVF the start of a slippery slope that could ultimately lead to the extinction of the human species, as we become increasingly dependent on artificial conception, to the point where the lack of natural selection (removal of the worst) results in the human-race becoming weaker and weaker genetically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluebroom wrote: »
    didnt condone it either,what the fk is going on with that case? i have left it 3 years later couldnt be arsed anymore with those fkwits

Doubt we're allowed to talk about it...
    But in respect of your comment they did meet the Pope so that must be condoning it surely?
    In other respects, they are suing the Portuguese cop for libel (yes, libel for telling what the investigation files said), herself has just been back to the scene of the crime to 'pray' (I read it as prey). They've employed new investigators from the fund (our donations) money (which bizarrely still stands at about £500k). Two directors have resigned from the fund, including Brother McCann who gave up his job with a drugs company to 'hunt for Maddie'.
    New photofit due to be released soon.
    In other news, flat where it happened still unsold. G MCN still a tosser.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz - to take your argument further, should we stop intervening medically with people who are ill, and just let them die?

I hope the answer is no. The human race will always strive to break new ground medically, and if that ultimately leads to the downfall of the race (I doubt it will - we are a resourceful bunch, by and large) well, that is how it shall be.
  • Options
    XioXio Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Oh really? I don't support the catholic church, but if a couple (for whatever reason) are unable to naturally conceive, then aren't we asking for trouble in the long run by allowing otherwise infertile people to have babies?

It seems to me that the more medical intervention there is, the less viable humans as a species are becoming. I'm not joking when I say that the only members of the human race allowed to reproduce should be those who could have done so anyway without any medical intervention during their entire childhood. That would rule me out. It would rule a lot of other people out too.

I consider IVF the start of a slippery slope that could ultimately lead to the extinction of the human species, as we become increasingly dependent on artificial conception, to the point where the lack of natural selection (removal of the worst) results in the human-race becoming weaker and weaker genetically.

It would be a long time before that would have any real consequences though, and it might not be that terribly significant at all. I'm more worried about overpopulation.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Do you have any evidence to back any of that up? Has the human race got genetically weaker since we started growing crops, living in cities or watching Eastenders?

By the time (tens if not hundreds of generations if at all) this would have any effect we'd have probably worked out how to fix any problems anyway. We are a terribly bright species after all. Well some of us are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence to back any of that up? Has the human race got genetically weaker since we started growing crops, living in cities or watching Eastenders?

By the time (tens if not hundreds of generations if at all) this would have any effect we'd have probably worked out how to fix any problems anyway. We are a terribly bright species after all. Well some of us are.

I don't have any definitive evidence, but I believe watching Eastenders has probably had a negative effect on the brain of those unfortunate enough to have been subjected to it.

Seriously though, tampering with who can or cannot conceive is naturally is not just something we should consider a triumph over nature. It is already known that in some cases for males, it is because genetic defects cause their sperm to underperform. Bypassing this problem by flying them straight into an egg is not a good idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't help being a knob. Probably came from higher up though, that funny guy who visited our shores recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I assume then that were you or anyone you care about got seriously ill you would do the decent thing and 'take one for the race' and allow them to die without medical intervention ? You start down this road, however well intentioned, and it leads to all sorts of dark places.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lives created by doctors aren't special. Only lives created by god are special.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the problem of IVF, indeed most fetility treatment, is that to get the sperm the man has to masterbate, which is a sin on it's own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Lives created by doctors aren't special. Only lives created by god are special.

If you believe in God then he created all things including science so therefore any lives created by Doctors are, by extension, created by God. So not sure where the distinction is to be made ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are as entitled to their opinion about IVF as much as people on here are who are saying it is wonderful.

If they think this dude should not have won the award fine, they are entitled to think and say that just as much as others are entitled to argue.

You do not have to agree with them but some folks will, as is their right.