Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2010 Season: The Verdict (Merged) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    davepuseydavepusey Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    Maldonado at Williams for next year. No more Hulk then it seems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9247885.stm
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    thats shocking when he got that pole in brazil

I hope he finds a drive
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "F1 on BBC" page has updated to reflect next year being 2011: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm

Opening paragraph has been updated slightly, even though it says 19 races. None of the main body as far as I can tell has changed, the paragraph about F1 not in HD is still there - so I suspect the main body will be changed separately whenever 2011 coverage details are announced in the New Year.

And finally, Happy Birthday Lee McKenzie! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Holt got the other half last week.
    http://twitpic.com/39rgg4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For those of you stuck in the snow like me, JA is doing a season review on Talksport today at 1445

basically he was just on to plug his book :D
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those of you stuck in the snow like me, JA is doing a season review on Talksport today at 1445

For those of you with a thirst for this sort of thing later in the month, ITV4 is having a bit of a motorsport afternoon on December 27th, with a BSB season review, followed by highlights of the Goodwood Revival.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that'll be nice, as I think we probably all prefered it when the F1 review was at christmas time
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Someone's uploaded JA's Coco-pops advert :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhQY7J2d8WY
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    For those of you with a thirst for this sort of thing later in the month, ITV4 is having a bit of a motorsport afternoon on December 27th, with a BSB season review, followed by highlights of the Goodwood Revival.

Yay....chuck in a few Motorsport UK's and that's a great present, cheers :p
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    that'll be nice, as I think we probably all prefered it when the F1 review was at christmas time

Indeed....

My Christmas week is usually spent sky+ing whatever random season review I can find (usually on Motors...) and catching up with the stuff I missed over the year.

Annoyingly though Motors TV seems to think season review time should be done in November and December should be spent worshipping at the Andros Trophy teat....
    Seriously guys, no-one outside of France cares! They can only go about 2mph in the snow and Prost or Muller usually wins...grate...

Still, might be some ARCA or something...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on Autosport Forums last night claiming Legard has gone: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=122933&view=findpost&p=4745433

Before dismissing him as a WUM (which I did last night), please read this post from Ross Stonefield: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=122933&view=findpost&p=4745955

Make of it what you will...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan and Jake have both started following Charlie Sale on Twitter. ;)
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What on Earth is "WUM"?
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    wind up merchant aka troll
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    What on Earth is "WUM"?

davepusey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several pretty reliable sources indicating on Twitter that the BBC have indeed dropped Jonathan Legard as lead commentator for 2011.

http://twitter.com/neilmonnery - looks pretty reliable to me. JonPollak notes similar on Autosport Forums about a 'source'.

My gut feeling is he's gone. Obviously I can't confirm. If he has gone (and I still think that is an if), then I don't think we'll get an announcement until BBC have hired a replacement.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Several pretty reliable sources indicating on Twitter that the BBC have indeed dropped Jonathan Legard as lead commentator for 2011.

http://twitter.com/neilmonnery - looks pretty reliable to me. JonPollak notes similar on Autosport Forums about a 'source'.

My gut feeling is he's gone.

What the hell does JonPollak know anyway:D
    Jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Constandurous tweeting again: http://twitter.com/#!/BenConsty
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Ben Constanduros tweeting again:

Isn't he always?
    Just not always about motorsport

I've learnt all about his cats, his cookery skills, and that he wanted Katie to stay in X Factor for another week...
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wind up merchant aka troll

Ahhh thank you! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Isn't he always?
    Just not always about motorsport

I've learnt all about his cats, his cookery skills, and that he wanted Katie to stay in X Factor for another week...

:D

Must learn how to spell his name properly though. Sorry Ben. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autosport magazine is reporting that the WRC is close to a terrestrial TV return with FIVE taking up the rights, which is good news. The WRC would be shown in a regular slot, probably on a Monday evening, with rally magazine shows filling the weeks when there are no event previews or reviews.

2011 is a transitional year, but hopefully this'll stand the WRC in good stead for 2012 and the future. I'm interested to know though (from Arius ;) ) what money we're talking about here. Are FIVE even paying for these rights?

While I'm on the subject of WRC rights in this country, I was surprised to see that the WRC has been on Dave for 3 years. It hasn't felt that long to me. Anyway, can anyone remember the channels the WRC gone through over the last 10 years and in what years it was broadcast where? I seem to remember it's been on:

BBC (via Top Gear)
    Channel 4 (prime time showings then early morning slots in latter years, I see to remember?)
    ITV 1?
    ITV 4 (2007?)
    Dave

And those are in addition to Eurosport and Motors...! The almighty ups and downs (and downs, and downs...) of WRC coverage in the UK!
  • Options
    Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O/T but a pretty good "exclusive" from Andrew Benson here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    funny sort of exclusive when thats been all over the f1 websites for the last few month
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Autosport magazine is reporting that the WRC is close to a terrestrial TV return with FIVE taking up the rights, which is good news. The WRC would be shown in a regular slot, probably on a Monday evening, with rally magazine shows filling the weeks when there are no event previews or reviews.

2011 is a transitional year, but hopefully this'll stand the WRC in good stead for 2012 and the future. I'm interested to know though (from Arius ;) ) what money we're talking about here. Are FIVE even paying for these rights?

While I'm on the subject of WRC rights in this country, I was surprised to see that the WRC has been on Dave for 3 years. It hasn't felt that long to me. Anyway, can anyone remember the channels the WRC gone through over the last 10 years and in what years it was broadcast where? I seem to remember it's been on:

BBC (via Top Gear)
    Channel 4 (prime time showings then early morning slots in latter years, I see to remember?)
    ITV 1?
    ITV 4 (2007?)
    Dave

And those are in addition to Eurosport and Motors...! The almighty ups and downs (and downs, and downs...) of WRC coverage in the UK!

I remember as a kid, you used to get a 30 minute review on Grandstand the saturday after a rally, except for GB where you had a programme each night. Voiceover was usually done by Mark James.

Then in '02 (I think, it may have been '01) it went to C4, who had half an hour on a friday and saturday, then a review on a sunday. For me, this was the peak of WRC coverage in the UK. Jon Desborough, Robbie Head and Penny Mallory presented.

For 2004 it went to ITV, who had an hour on a sunday afternoon, down a lot on what C4 had, and I remember there being far too much talking, and not enough action. Same team as on C4, but Angus Scott replaced Mallory. They kept this up for a year or two, then just took the plain world feed highlights, which were eventually dumped to ITV4.

Then Dave started in 2008, and as you say it really doesn't feel like they've shown it for 3 years, and that made ITV's programme look full of action. Now they are gone, and I presume Five will just use the world feed highlights for an hour, which are usually solid.

I miss the days of Channel 4, and getting a solid 30 minutes a night on Eurosport, when it wasn't dumped to a stupid time because the womens tennis overran. The Motors TV show was boring to be frank. The whole situation sums up WRC, no interest from manufacturers, Loeb's Schumacher like dominance, a lack of british interest-10 years ago everyone knew Burns and McRae-so I am surprised Channel 5 are interested in showing the WRC at the moment.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, can anyone remember the channels the WRC gone through over the last 10 years and in what years it was broadcast where? I seem to remember it's been on:

BBC (via Top Gear)
    ITV 1?
    ITV 4 (2007?)
    Dave

And a bonus point if you can tell me the year the BBC first covered every round of the WRC.
This discussion has been closed.