Options

Freesat newbie. Help and why are some channels non officially on EPG?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
Forum Member
Hello everybody, I just bought a mini dish and a dreambox 500s and I'm ready for FREESAT! :)

But I was wondering... why some channels are free to air on satellite but haven't got a freesat epg?

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get sky or virgin and you will get many more channels
  • Options
    slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a bizarre answer to the question. never mind, they aren't on the epg because they haven't paid for it is the simple answer. as freesat grows more popular hopefully more will see the benefits outweighing the costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would NEVER pay for watching tv with advers... ;)

Freeview and Freesat are MY option and they will be for the future!
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get more on channels on your Freesat box than either sky or virgin offer. A well known fact.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pheron wrote: »
    Hello everybody, I just bought a mini dish and a dreambox 500s and I'm ready for FREESAT! :)

But I was wondering... why some channels are free to air on satellite but haven't got a freesat epg?

Don't know about your specific box but you could use non-freesat mode to pickup all the FTA channels if you want.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the OP question ..
    Freesat is really ONLY an EPG .... it owns no channels no uplinks no playout .
    Its main aim was to provide a non subscription service for PSBs ..

So it gets its money from charging channels £30k pa to be on their EPG
    and spend it with Siemens to provide the EPG, Arqiva etc for a home transponder and on marketing ..

So if you are a FTA channel and you want viewers to find it easily .. you need an EPG to point to it .. take your choice in the UK ..... Sky or Freesat .
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not many free to air channels from 28.2/28.5E that are not on the epg worth watching anyway. :D
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not many free to air channels from 28.2/28.5E that are not on the epg worth watching anyway. :D

That is true!

I did find when I first got Freesat that Scuzz wasn't on the Freesat EPG, so Ior me that was frustrating, but it is now! :D
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only real advantage of an EPG is that you are able to see more than just now & next for a channel's programme listings. But then you can always go online and look at one of the many listings sites if you want to plan your viewing.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

$ky News is about the only one as long as it stays FTA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well, I'll take Freesat to watch all bbc regional channels, all =1 freeview channels, euronews, cnbc, music channels...etch... ;)

I will never pay to watch adverts... never! ;)
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I only dip in every now and then to catch the odd few minutes of Sky News or CCTV (China) or Press TV (Iran) - the latter usually just to be entertained by George Galloway. :)

A year ago I used to watch the odd thing from the now defunct Film 24 and would have watched it more had it been on the EPG, i.e., would have recorded and watched. But the upcoming Electric Sofa channels are essentially a superset of Film 24 so they should keep me amused.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    You can get more on channels on your Freesat box than either sky or virgin offer. A well known fact.

Is there a limit to the number of channels that you can add, in the same way that there is for Sky boxes?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a limit to the number of channels that you can add, in the same way that there is for Sky boxes?

It will vary with the amount of NVRAM installed. For the Foxsat-hdr it's probably around a 1000 channels (it's not in the spec). There's no problem with loading all the channels from the Astra group at 28.2E and EB1 at 28.5E. If you select all (including encrypted) you get the lot although of course you can only watch the free to air stuff (816 channels as of today)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Hi All
    The OP has got a non freesat box. A Dreambox 500. So he will have all free channels listed in his Non Freesat EPG. I wonder why we are talking about Humax etc.

All channels will appear on non fresat box. Same as Non Freesat mode. This has nothing to do with Companies paying for freesat entry or not!

Let us keep the discussion to the question asked

Kirit
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Kirit but I wonder why we are talking about it at all - it should be on the 'Non-platform specific satellite TV' forum :D