Options

New Yorkers Suffer Less Crime than Londoners Until they are Murdered!

IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
Forum Member
Interesting comparison here:

http://www.londonandnyc.com/2010/12/crime-rate-summary-in-london-and-new.html
London
Figures for 12 months to October 2010
  • Murder - 119
  • Rape - 3,159
  • Robbery - 34,259
  • Assault - 172,940
  • Burglary - 89,385
  • Motor vehicle crime - 99,842
New York City

Figures for the year to date upto 21st November 2010
  • Murder - 476
  • Rape - 1,249
  • Robbery - 17,263
  • Assault - 15,208
  • Burglary - 16,549
  • Grand Larceny - 33,377
  • Grand Larceny Auto - 9,315
(Sources: NYPD statistics and Metropolitan Police statistics)
New York has a fraction of our rape and robbery stats but exactly 4 times the murder rate. If they banned more weapons it would be a far safer city all round.

We have near triple the rate of rape and 10 times the robberies and car crime. In summary, New York is much safer until you get murdered.

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then do they suffer more crime, in the afterlife? :p
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you reckon though that the assaults are down because people are worried that you may be packing a gun?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Do you reckon though that the assaults are down because people are worried that you may be packing a gun?

More likely the policy started by Giuliani in the late 90s of having a police car at pretty much every intersection, coupled with a crackdown on petty crime.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    New York is much safer until you get murdered.

:confused:

So it isn't safer then :p
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting comparison here:

http://www.londonandnyc.com/2010/12/crime-rate-summary-in-london-and-new.html
    New York has a fraction of our rape and robbery stats but exactly 4 times the murder rate. If they banned more weapons it would be a far safer city all round.

We have near triple the rate of rape and 10 times the robberies and car crime. In summary, New York is much safer until you get murdered.

Can we get a population comparison please? Isn't the population of NYC 8,008,278 and London 7,421,209 which makes the higher chance of being raped quite frightening but I also wonder if more crimes in NYC go unreported. :(
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

No, I reckon there is little point in comparing anything except the murder figures because a dead body is a dead body.

However the statistics for other crimes are compiled in different ways and people can be incentivsed to report differently because of differences in things such as insurance coverage and accessing help for the victims of crime.

After all in Sweden apparently having a condom burst on you can lead to a rape charge but is that true in New York or London?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NYPD >>> Metropolitan Police
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More likely the policy started by Giuliani in the late 90s of having a police car at pretty much every intersection, coupled with a crackdown on petty crime.

That's indeed the main reason. I do generally feel way safer in NY than in London.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you can get a better quality of life all round until it's your turn to be murdered?

Sounds great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    :confused:

So it isn't safer then :p

Yes it is, so long as you're still alive, which is when it counts. :p

I think the rate of gun ownership AND the higher police profile are the answers but there's only one of those I'd like to see replicated here.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NYPD >>> Metropolitan Police
    Don't talk bollocks, the NYPD has quite a poor reputation. :p
    That's indeed the main reason. I do generally feel way safer in NY than in London.

I felt safe the whole time I was in NYC, even on the subway at three in the morning. Nothing would drag me back however as it just wasn't a city I liked that much. New York State was lovely however, Albany is beautiful :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it is, so long as you're still alive, which is when it counts. :p

I think the rate of gun ownership AND the higher police profile are the answers but there's only one of those I'd like to see replicated here.

No, seriously now. If you are 4 times more likely to be killed, then it can never be described as "safer".

"Safer, until you are killed"sic, that's hillarious :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, seriously now. If you are 4 times more likely to be killed, then it can never be described as "safer".

"Safer, until you are killed"sic, that's hillarious :D
    But once you've been murdered you have little concern for personal safety. We can therefore discard the murder rates and focus on the offences which impact on live people. All of those are far lower for New Yorkers, ergo, people living in New York are far safer. :cool:
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this cover all of London and NY's five boroughs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But once you've been murdered you have little concern for personal safety. We can therefore discard the murder rates and focus on the offences which impact on live people. All of those are far lower for New Yorkers, ergo, people living in New York are far safer. :cool:

No, you can't just "discard" the most dangerous crime to suit your view I'm afraid :D

What if murder was a million times higher in New York? Heck, there's only 2 people who have survived, but neither of them have been mugged or raped yet :D:D
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you can't just "discard" the most dangerous crime to suit your view I'm afraid :D

What if murder was a million times higher in New York? Heck, there's only 2 people who have survived, but neither of them have been mugged or raped yet :D:D

Post 7 demonstrated someone discarding all sorts to suit their perspective. I reckon the post you quoted was in reaction to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If either of them were mugged or raped there could only possibly be one suspect. Sounds like the safest community ever. A recipe for zero crime against the person. The higher the murder rate the less the likelihood of other crime. You rest my case. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If either of them were mugged or raped there could only possibly be one suspect. Sounds like the safest community ever. A recipe for zero crime against the person. The higher the murder rate the less the likelihood of other crime. You rest my case. ;)

Well at least now I know you are joking :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well at least now I know you are joking :p
    I was being totally serious! :D
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nifty ;)

I would be interested to know the circumstances in which those murders took place.
    I mean, if 50% of those murdered were drug dealers taking out the opposition for instance, then the average law-abiding New Yorker is going to be less affected, unless they get caught in the crossfire of course.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't take this comparison as definitively set in stone, a search on google for 'NYPD statistics' returns quite a few reports on suspected manipulation of the crime figures in NY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nifty ;)

I would be interested to know the circumstances in which those murders took place.
    I mean, if 50% of those murdered were drug dealers taking out the opposition for instance, then the average law-abiding New Yorker is going to be less affected, unless they get caught in the crossfire of course.
    The majority of murder victims will know their murderer on either side of the pond. In a high proportion of cases there will be a criminal relationship, usually connected with drugs.

Most of the lesser crimes impact on law abiding citizens far more than the criminal element. Criminals are far more affected by murder then the rest of us, proportionally speaking. Another good reason why the murder rate is irrelevant for most of us and can be ignored in any comparison. I've been in London for 7 years and I haven't been murdered yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    I wouldn't take this comparison as definitively set in stone, a search on google for 'NYPD statistics' returns quite a few reports on suspected manipulation of the crime figures in NY.
    Accepted but our own police aren't above political interference and under-reporting of crime.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/4312170/Metropolitan-Police-amongst-18-forces-to-have-under-reported-violent-crime-for-10-years.html
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of the assaults led to man slaughter?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming of course the murder victims weren't also victims of rape, robberies or car crime.