The Ratings Thread (Part 50)

Comments

• Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coast replacing first 20 minutes of Wimbledon on BBC2 which now starts at 5:50pm.

I think that was wrong scheduling in the first place. They don't usually do overlaps at this stage (see tomorrow's listings) as there is only one proper match ongoing. So it was strange to see a 20 min overlap scheduled today.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Virgina Wade's Wimbledon victory get big crowds in 1977?

Not as many as it would have been had it been on the Saturday. It was played on the Friday and I was at school-can still remember asking around if anyone knew before getting on the bus. It was in the days before some bright spark decided it would be much more appropriate to have the finals over the weekend.

She did well, she won two other Grand Slams in her career-remarkable given the state of the womens game here. Ann Jones also won three and was in 6 other finals-all in the sixties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_finalists_at_Grand_Slam_tennis_tournaments
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    I think Channel 4 need to reduce MPD episode order per year...

When it's off for awhile it gets fantastic ratings....but its overkill at this stage..

They should have another series this year paired with Homeland when its back, it'll give them a very solid night... and then leave it off until next summer.
    I can't remember the last time it brought in what I consider to be "fantastic" ratings for C4. It certainly hasn't for any of its outings this year, so it's debatable whether or not the break has really helped. It won't be the cheapest show to make either.

I think they need to improve the quality of the questions to make it more worthwhile. At the moment it's very much style over substance, which is fine if that's what you want from a gameshow, but it restricts the audience.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,141
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Corrie got 10.34m and 222k on +1 January 21st at 8:30pm for the Ty/Kirsty wedding fallout.
    It also got 10.27m for the pub fire and 286k on +1 March 18th at 8:30pm. 10.12m is it's 3rd highest overnight this year.

I've added in EastEnders which got 9.09m on NYD. It has rated over 8m over 20 times this year, don't now how you missed it completely.

Emmerdale's highest this year is 7.8m (just misses out) for 10th January at 7pm and 18th January at 7pm. I expect it to top them in October.

I was sure I added that, hmm. I've changed Corrie to the higher rating which you mentioned. This time last year, I think most of that top 10 would be above 9 million. So:

1 – 10.56m (48.9%) / 11.12m (51.4%) – BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (08/06) – ITV
    2 – 10.34m (37.7%) / 10.56m (38.5%) – CORONATION STREET (21/01) – ITV
    3 – 9.87m (40.6%) – COMIC RELIEF: FUNNY FOR MONEY (15/03) – BBC1
    4 – 9.68m (47.1%) – WIMBLEDON 2013 (05/07) – BBC1
    5 – 9.15m (31.3%) – CALL THE MIDWIFE (03/03) – BBC1

6 – 9.09m (32.6%) – EASTENDERS (01/01)- BBC1
    7 – 9.07m (35.3%) – UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (05/03) - ITV
    8 – 9.04m (32.5%) – MIRANDA (01/01) - BBC1
    9 – 8.73m (33.5%) (inc +1) – BROADCHURCH (22/04) – ITV
    10 – 8.10m (29.8%) – MRS BROWN'S BOYS (01/01) – BBC1
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,141
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time it brought in what I consider to be "fantastic" ratings for C4. It certainly hasn't for any of its outings this year, so it's debatable whether or not the break has really helped. It won't be the cheapest show to make either.

I think they need to improve the quality of the questions to make it more worthwhile. At the moment it's very much style over substance, which is fine if that's what you want from a gameshow, but it restricts the audience.

It was it's first few series when it was pulling in 2m every other episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

2012:

February episodes were getting above 2 million, lots of 1.9's...as high as 2.3 million

Summer episodes were getting 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 million viewers...

Great numbers for Fri/Sat night shows.

It was the "Celebrity Games" that really hurt it.

They have a few fantastically rated shows (25hrs in A&E, One Born Every Minute etc) ..

Homeland is sure to bring in great numbers once it returns...

They should make a play for another US show this year for the main channel, Low Winter Sun, or The Bridge would be a great fit.
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    Can't have been 1994, as the TV listing, provided by The Observer says otherwise.

EDIT: Doing some more digging, it's 1995. Coverage started on BBC1 at 1.30pm and was scheduled to end at 5.20pm, with Masterchef after.

Interestingly, the Ladies' Final was broadcast on BBC1 in 1991

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/UK$20TV$20Charts$201991/rec.arts.tv.uk/sawKqCHP7Q4/AulWi35UlV4J
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    As if today's Wimbledon ratings weren't already going to look flat after yesterday and Wednesday, the Women's final just now was one of the most uncompetitive Grand Slam finals you're ever likely to see, and Bartoli had match points in little over an hour. They now have to fill BBC One until 6pm, and Two until 8pm, with doubles matches. Won't be pleasant reading for the Beeb in the morning.
    That's the BBC's own fault though for not treating the doubles tournament with the respect it deserves - it seems to get so little coverage now compared to what it used to get.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Trouble with test match cricket is it's a massive commitment for any broadcaster and apart from the final Ashes test, interest is minimal and ratings are low. I very much doubt the BBC would be interested in taking on this contract again, even if it had the money, as it also interferes with Wimbledon and the Open.
    The BBC wouldn't want every test game, but they'd want The Ashes and if the ECB put the Ashes out their as their own contract they'd certainly see more than Sky (the only bidders last time) bidding for the rights. If they split them right I'm sure they could match the money they're getting from Sky at the moment.

Personally I would split the live coverage of tests as follows:

A: The Ashes
    B: Summer Tests + Spring test in Ashes year (3+1 series)
    C: Spring tests in non-Ashes years (3 series)

That I think would encourage a terrestrial Ashes bidder to top up their live coverage with the Spring tests in other years, which would be more appealing than the summer tests - certainly in the BBC's case who have the Olympics etc. to think about.
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    I think Channel 4 need to reduce MPD episode order per year...

When it's off for awhile it gets fantastic ratings....but its overkill at this stage..
    It's been off for the best part of nine months though before this series and the break didn't seem to do it any good at all. Something like 10 series in little over two years is what did the damage - probably didn't help them generally being 5-6 week series too. You'd get away with three eight week series more than you do with four six week series.

I thought it was brilliant when it started and though still a good watch it's served it's purpose. C4 don't really need it on Saturdays when they can just stick a film at 9pm instead and it'll usually guarantee 1.5-2m viewers, while as we've been saying for years they really need to focus on making Friday nights the night of the week for C4 and really stick with it - not just stick new shows on for six weeks and then go back to general blandness!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moloko wrote: »

Can I just advise anyone who looks at that link not to look at the chart comment below:

"There appears to be some "ratings fixing" going on w.r.t. Sunday Grandstand. The programme was about 7 hours long and included two Wimbledon finals. However, the Men's Final has been singled out as a *separate* programme, which it clearly wasn't, and the rest of Sunday Grandstand has been split into two. So ONE programme gets THREE positions in the original teletext chart - the first time I've ever seen this happen ! Of course, the whole - very devious - reason for this is to boost the ratings of the Men's Final. I have reluctantly kept the Men's Final separate, but have averaged the other two parts of Sunday Grandstand."

:eek: :D

See, this isn't a 2013 thing ;)
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Can't have been 1994, as the TV listing, provided by The Observer says otherwise.

Thanks. Welcome to Sunday 3 July 1994:

BBC1
    18:00 - FILM: The Boy Who Could Fly (1986) ("well-meaning drama" according to Observer)
    19:45 - Last of the Summer Wine (repeat from 1977)
    20:15 - Love on a Branch Line (last of a new four-part drama series)
    21:05 - News
    21:20 - World Cup Grandstand (live from USA: Romania v Argentina)
    23:30 - FILM: Last Summer (1969)

ITV
    17:30 - World Cup 94 (live: Saudi Arabia v Sweden)
    20:00 - You've Been Framed (repeat)
    20:30 - FILM: Men Don't Leave (1990)
    22:35 - News
    22:50 - FILM: The Lady from Yesterday (1985)

On BBC2, there was a Monty Python repeat at 21:50 and 40 minutes of French Grand Prix highlights followed. Today at Wimbledon was at 22:00.

Channel 4 offered up an eclectic, generally upmarket mix: Tour de France, The Cosby Show, a JFK doc, a profile of an opera singer and a John Malkovich film (trailed the previous Sunday here ).
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best compromise for the Ashes would be for the final test to be shown on terrestrial. Dancc will surely agree with me on this one, but as Channel 5 do a good job with the highlights, giving them the final Ashes test would be a huge boost to them.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

Thanks for the link.

There are a load of Top 10 ratings from 1991 and 92 on this site, so thanks. :)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.tv.uk/UK$20TV$20charts
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't keep up with this thread today lol all tennis and soaps wow nothing new:)
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Page 33 already
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link.

There are a load of Top 10 ratings from 1991 and 92 on this site, so thanks. :)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.tv.uk/UK$20TV$20charts

No problem, discovered it earlier this year. Became strangely addictive trawling through them all.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    See, this isn't a 2013 thing ;)

:D The whinging in there is truly DS-worthy!
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    No problem, discovered it earlier this year. Became strangely addictive trawling through them all.

It is really interesting. I've seen 1996-1998 figures off Free Library but never seen the 1991/92 figures before.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm for most of the year tennis barely figures in our conversations. Mind you the soaps do as they are on every week of the year and a fall or rise in ratings will always generate comments.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may watch more Tennis this year, But it won't be enough to discuss the ratings on this thread :)
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much :)

I was close with 1994 - wouldn't have suspected the F1 to be on BBC1, except for the odd race. It would be the other way round nowadays.
    No problemo. The women's final was shown on BBC1 in 1994, but it seems both finals were simultaneously shown on the same network the year after.
    Coast replacing first 20 minutes of Wimbledon on BBC2 which now starts at 5:50pm.
    Quelle surprise! :p
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Thanks. Welcome to Sunday 3 July 1994:

BBC1
    18:00 - FILM: The Boy Who Could Fly (1986) ("well-meaning drama" according to Observer)
    19:45 - Last of the Summer Wine (repeat from 1977)
    20:15 - Love on a Branch Line (last of a new four-part drama series)
    21:05 - News
    21:20 - World Cup Grandstand (live from USA: Romania v Argentina)
    23:30 - FILM: Last Summer (1969)

ITV
    17:30 - World Cup 94 (live: Saudi Arabia v Sweden)
    20:00 - You've Been Framed (repeat)
    20:30 - FILM: Men Don't Leave (1990)
    22:35 - News
    22:50 - FILM: The Lady from Yesterday (1985)

On BBC2, there was a Monty Python repeat at 21:50 and 40 minutes of French Grand Prix highlights followed. Today at Wimbledon was at 22:00.

Channel 4 offered up an eclectic, generally upmarket mix: Tour de France, The Cosby Show, a JFK doc, a profile of an opera singer and a John Malkovich film (trailed the previous Sunday here ).
    Ah, 1994. The year of no England at the football World Cup. How ironic would it be if "the boys" failed to qualify 20 years later for a tournament hosted in the Americas.

You've Been Framed repeat, nothing ever changes. :rolleyes:
    It was; cricket at Trent Bridge (a third test between England and West Indies I believe -- but the listing doesn't explicitly say) was shown on BBC1 and later moved to BBC2.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Page 33 already

Wow, a thread dedicated to ratings discussion talking about the programme with the biggest ratings of the day. Who'd have thunk it?
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Million Pound Drop is a decent show and it's a shame to see it get low ratings. I'm convinced it would be rating a lot higher if the rest of the C4 schedule was a lot stronger, as it's a good quality gameshow. I think because the whole of C4 is rating weakly at the moment, nobody is actually watching the channel so people won't be aware of what's coming up soon and what's actually being shown on what night of the week etc. And if people can't be bothered with Channel 4, then they're not going to look at what's on the channel in the TV guide either.

It's ridiculous the amount of series they have produced of this already though and the daft thing was Davina going on about how 'this is the final show of the series', then in the next sentence stating 'we'll be returning next Saturday at 9pm" ... so it's not really the end of the series then is it :D
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ending with 4 seem to be bad for England in tournaments:

1954 - WC Quarter finals
    1964 - DNQ for Euro 64
    1974 - DNQ for WC 74
    1984 - DNQ for Euro 84
    1994 - DNQ for WC 94
    2004 - Euro 04 quarters
    2014 - DNQ for WC 14???
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Not a bad number for EE in the circumstances, when only BBC controllers and us lot actually knew it was on!

Hahahahahaha. :D
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    bbc1 has been so stale and poor since it over did screening of shows in january and used all good stuff up too soon!!!
    people say itv goes to sleep in summer till september with repeats etc but this year at least its still screening new stuff, even the oap fave bbc1 showing primetime repeats and falling to sleep this summer! its expensive bore the white queen also a flop in ratings!

shame the only time bbc1 alive since january and popular outside oap's again is when its screening coverage of wimbledon, shame the bbc has lost rights to so many sports events as its clear its the one of very few things the bbc still does well.
    instead of wasting cash on contracts from formats to shows like the voice etc why not secure like wimbledon long not short term sports rights.
This discussion has been closed.