Options

Tivo on Xbox One Benefits?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently got an Xbox One and so far am very impressed with it as a games console. However, I know there is a bit more to the Xbox One than that. In particular, I am interested in the HDMI input and how using it can benefit my normal everyday TV viewing.

I would love to know peoples general thoughts on the functionality of the X Box Ones TV integration. However, as I have a Virgin Media Tivo box, I am particularly interested to know if anyone else on here runs their Tivo through their Xbox One and specifically what benefits it brings to using the Tivo?

Initially to me, there seems to be a lot of overlap between what the Xbox One and Tivo bring as the Tivo has it’s own set of apps and catchup TV, decent TV guide etc, is there anything worthwhile the Xbox One can add to Tivo?

All advice gratefully received. :)

Comments

• Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    Initially to me, there seems to be a lot of overlap between what the Xbox One and Tivo bring as the Tivo has it’s own set of apps and catchup TV, decent TV guide etc, is there anything worthwhile the Xbox One can add to Tivo?

In short: Not really. XB1 has no control over stuff like recording channels, creating series links etc. At best, you can change channel using your voice (if you have Kinect), but chances are it won't hear you properly the 1st time and its actually quicker changing channels the usual way - via your TiVo remote.

XB1 does have some apps not on TiVo (like Plex) but then you need to think about the extra electric you're using having XB1 + TiVo on just to watch telly/Netflix. I'm actually considering buying an Amazon Fire TV Stick because it and the likes of Google Chromecast are more energy efficient for streaming video compared to a games console.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    one thing I do know is the xbox one can upscale any audio signal be it. 2.0 PCM / 2.1 DD / 5.1 DD to 5.1/7.1 DTS.

A worthwhile shot in my opinion.

that and the added bonus of watching tv as you play is a great feature.

Why don't more smart boxes like amazon fire tv, now tv and roku do it? The ill fated google tv on the sony box did it and it was great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    In short: Not really. XB1 has no control over stuff like recording channels, creating series links etc. At best, you can change channel using your voice (if you have Kinect), but chances are it won't hear you properly the 1st time and its actually quicker changing channels the usual way - via your TiVo remote.

XB1 does have some apps not on TiVo (like Plex) but then you need to think about the extra electric you're using having XB1 + TiVo on just to watch telly/Netflix. I'm actually considering buying an Amazon Fire TV Stick because it and the likes of Google Chromecast are more energy efficient for streaming video compared to a games console.

I rarely use my chromecast because it has one fundamental flaw with it.

I watch TiVo, then want to cast something, I have to flip to HDMI3 to see it then once casted, need to flip back to HDMI1.

the static wallpaper doesn't do it for me.

now if google made the chromecast operate as an on the fly device between my TiVo and the tv, then a cast could override the tv but when finished go back to streaming the TV.

also the fact that you can't do anything on the cast stick unless you stream to it is very pointless.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely use my chromecast because it has one fundamental flaw with it.

I watch TiVo, then want to cast something, I have to flip to HDMI3 to see it then once casted, need to flip back to HDMI1.

the static wallpaper doesn't do it for me.

now if google made the chromecast operate as an on the fly device between my TiVo and the tv, then a cast could override the tv but when finished go back to streaming the TV.

also the fact that you can't do anything on the cast stick unless you stream to it is very pointless.

If i start casting something the TV turns over automatically, granted i then have to select the correct source to change back though.

You can select your own photos that are on either google+ or google Drive to show instead of the current wallpapers
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    one thing I do know is the xbox one can upscale any audio signal be it. 2.0 PCM / 2.1 DD / 5.1 DD to 5.1/7.1 DTS.

A worthwhile shot in my opinion.

Bear in mind that at present, it doesn't produce 5.1 via amps when watching 5.1 TV broadcasts, at least not for me and all the other preview members exhausted by reporting this issue to MS for 6+ months (and some of those member are TiVo users). 5.1 is downgraded to stereo, even when the 5.1 option is selected in the Settings/Audio menu. I've given up hope that this bug will be fixed, the usual response is 'we're looking into it', and has been since Day 1.

XB1 is good for switching between games and apps, but the high energy usage and the nonsense with surround sound means I don't use it much for watching TV. Ideally XB1 should just be a pass-through for watching TV but its actually downgrading the sound quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that at present, it doesn't produce 5.1 via amps when watching 5.1 TV broadcasts, at least not for me and all the other preview members exhausted by reporting this issue to MS for 6+ months (and some of those member are TiVo users). 5.1 is downgraded to stereo, even when the 5.1 option is selected in the Settings/Audio menu. I've given up hope that this bug will be fixed, the usual response is 'we're looking into it', and has been since Day 1.

XB1 is good for switching between games and apps, but the high energy usage and the nonsense with surround sound means I don't use it much for watching TV. Ideally XB1 should just be a pass-through for watching TV but its actually downgrading the sound quality.

Ahh thanks for that! Shame really MS could be onto a winner there.

HDMI is so flawed in lots of ways. I have to use a CEC disrupter for my sat box because if I don't HDMI switching/link then dies. That's probably why I've not seen the chromecast switch!
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, the Beta is no use either? Bum.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/live-tv/digital-sound-not-working
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    I recently got an Xbox One and so far am very impressed with it as a games console. However, I know there is a bit more to the Xbox One than that. In particular, I am interested in the HDMI input and how using it can benefit my normal everyday TV viewing.

I would love to know peoples general thoughts on the functionality of the X Box Ones TV integration. However, as I have a Virgin Media Tivo box, I am particularly interested to know if anyone else on here runs their Tivo through their Xbox One and specifically what benefits it brings to using the Tivo?

All advice gratefully received. :)

I tried my Tivo through theXB1. I think it is a bit of a gimmick to be honest and the picture quality definitely deteriorates when using the XB1. The lack of surround sound when watching TV is also not good.