Why are there mostly only white presenters on sky news during day and peak hours?

2»

Comments

• Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samantha Simmonds is on a fair bit, I think she has middle eastern heritage.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are there mostly only white presenters on sky news during day and peak hours?

Has anyone else noticed this? I find it very strange surely in 2015 people of different races should be on during day and peak times and not just at night which seems to be the case.

Is there a reason for this or is it just the way the staffing has worked out?

Running short of PC Brownie points??

I'd also bet that you're white yourself. Meanwhile black people just get on with their lives without looking for things to make themselves appear ultra 'diverse'.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When exactly is "peak time" on a news channel anyway? Surely Sunrise is more prestigious than a mid-morning slot?

If anything I suspect Asian presenters/reporters in particular are overrepresented relative to the population.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not fishing for a reaction I genuinely wonder why there are so few black presenters particularly and wondered if racism was still a factor in the viewing audience.

I can only think of two black presenters being on the channel Lukwesa and a man both on at night. Can't believe Lukwesa is now gone too she was a great asset to the channel.

That man is Gamal Farnbullah (sp), who was briefly had a spell at Good Morning Britain on ITV.

Also Marverine Cole, had a spell presenting on Sky News (on the graveyard shift as well).
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    When exactly is "peak time" on a news channel anyway? Surely Sunrise is more prestigious than a mid-morning slot?

Yes, Sunrise tops the Sky News BARB figures so mornings are very much peak time for a news channel.

Speaking of Sunrise, I saw a bit of it this morning and it was being presented by this lady: https://twitter.com/skygillian Does she tick the "non-white presenter at a peak time" box?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Here's two more questions (perhaps not quite so serious)

Why does the female presenter on BBC Breakfast on Sundays always read the news on the Andrew Marr Show (even when the male presenter is more senior) ?

Why is the 90-second update on BBC1 at 8 pm on weekdays always read by a young woman and never a man ?

Is this some sort of reverse discrimination ?

BBC Scotland features male newsreaders at 20.00 hrs, a fifty-fifty split I would say.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Scotland features male newsreaders at 20.00 hrs, a fifty-fifty split I would say.

A lot of the regions do, in London it's almost always a male presenter, but the first network 45 seconds always seem to be a youngish female.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Sunrise tops the Sky News BARB figures so mornings are very much peak time for a news channel.

Speaking of Sunrise, I saw a bit of it this morning and it was being presented by this lady: https://twitter.com/skygillian Does she tick the "non-white presenter at a peak time" box?

Gillian has been with Sky News for 10 years now, and used to have an high profile evening slot of her own, until the 2007 changes. I think she was taken on purely for abilities.

Sunrise, however features an obese (Eamonn), Iranian descent (Naz), ginger (Isabel Weather), brunette (Isabel headlines) , a black person (Gillian), and quite possibly a gay. So, quite varied I think.:D
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some sad people out there who notice something like this.

Now i know why the UK is buggered with such pillocks around.

Surly its just who is in the work place. We arnt yet in a world where every time slot needs people picked because they tick someone's quota box
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »

Surly its just who is in the work place.

I don't like surly people in the workplace.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it bother you OP, I mean does it really bother you or are you just seeking approval from like minded half-wits or maybe you're one of them that becomes offended on behalf of others?
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Here's two more questions (perhaps not quite so serious)

Why does the female presenter on BBC Breakfast on Sundays always read the news on the Andrew Marr Show (even when the male presenter is more senior)?

The male presenter is "more senior"? How do you make that out? Surely they're two co-presenters, fairly equal in "rank" :confused: