Options

Terminator Genisys new trailer

Comments

• Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swishbaby wrote: »
    With the 'something different to the same old Marvel comic book movie' effect currently being experienced by Jurassic World, I'm thinking this could open very big indeed and do some big numbers:

$220M Domestic
    $600M International

The Jurassic Park franchise has always been popular 'family' films (plus it stars Chris Pratt who is the 'hot thing' in Hollywood right now), not something Terminator has ever been or should be......although they seem to be aiming for that with these latter efforts.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The embargo has been lifted, not getting a lot of love it seems.

It's 126mins long, so another 2hr blockbuster (Jurassic World/Mad Max both the same), lets hope it keeps me entertained as well as those two did.

The US gets to see it first on 1st July, we get it on the 2nd.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    A smattering of reviews out there (currently 40% on RT) seem to indicate it's something of a dud.

'Franchise Fred' of Nerd Report liked it though. Make of this what you will.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Cameron loved it.

Whether he really did or he was paid nicely to say that... who knows?
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    It's 126mins long, so another 2hr blockbuster (Jurassic World/Mad Max both the same), lets hope it keeps me entertained as well as those two did..

That's about the optimum time for a Terminator sequel. Although it had far bigger issues, I felt T3 was slightly short at the time.

Paddy C wrote: »
    James Cameron loved it.

I can't see money being any kind of an influence on billionaire Cameron, although you never know considering how many times he's been divorced :D.

Judging from the trailer it links to T1 and T2 in a huge way and it has an intriguing scenario(s). I think that's why he's so fond of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is really getting panned left, right and centre. I had a feeling it might be bad, but not this bad.

DS gave it 1/5. Empire gave it 2/5 calling it part remake, part remix, part sequel.

Personally, i don't think it's going to be as bad as everyone is making out but i'm certainly not expecting it to be T1/T2 level of greatness.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to crash and burn.

James Cameron must have been offered the franchise back early.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it last night (it's out where I am). It was ok. Nothing amazing.

I thought it was better than T3 and Salvation though. Madly confusing at times though and kind of just all about action than anything else.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night (it's out where I am). It was ok. Nothing amazing.

I thought it was better than T3 and Salvation though. Madly confusing at times though and kind of just all about action than anything else.

I'm going to take my nine year old to see it tomorrow. He loves the others, and I imagine he will like this one. I'm going with an open mind... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I'm going to take my nine year old to see it tomorrow. He loves the others, and I imagine he will like this one. I'm going with an open mind... :D

You let a 9 year old watch Terminator? :o
    At a push I'd maybe let them watch Terminator 2 but not one, it's a pretty violent and scary 18.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    You let a 9 year old watch Terminator? :o
    At a push I'd maybe let them watch Terminator 2 but not one, it's a pretty violent and scary 18.

I watched The Terminator at 7. Absolutely loved it. Never found it scary.
    But it's not been the same since that first outing. It changed from sci-fi horror to sci-fi action.
    I really liked T2 and it was an enjoyable sequel. But, personally, I feel this is where the rot set in. If it weren't for the amount of swearing in it, I'm pretty sure it would be classed as the lamented 12A these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched The Terminator at 7. Absolutely loved it. Never found it scary.
    But it's not been the same since that first outing. It changed from sci-fi horror to sci-fi action.
    I really liked T2 and it was an enjoyable sequel. But, personally, I feel this is where the rot set in. If it weren't for the amount of swearing in it, I'm pretty sure it would be classed as the lamented 12A these days.

To be fair I probably wasn't that far off it myself when I saw it but the big difference being it would have been a watered down for 80's TV version. They used to butcher movies before broadcasting on TV back then, much better now.

Beverly Hills Cop is the one that always springs to mind with this, Eddie Murphy is basically dubbed in the TV version.

I agree on T2 being the beginning of the end for Terminator as a horror franchise. Definitely had a Saturday matinee feel to it.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Full-blooded 18 rated VHS. Remember being in the video shop (yes kids, I'm old) and handing Terminator & Commando to my mam and saying I want these two. In full view of guy behind counter. (those were the days).
    Same when I went to get Robocop & Predator.
    After that I would take the membership card and the guy would let me rent videos by myself.

RE: BHC. If memory serves, it's something near the beginning that always gets chopped on TV.
  • Options
    Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Currently doing 26% at Rotten Tomatoes. :o

I was going to see this on Monday, but I think I might pass and wait for the Blu-ray rips to turn up around October.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I heard Arnie was going to be in it, I thought it would be bad. He's just too old for an action type role now.

I loved T1 and T2. The Sarah Conner Chronicles were good, and Salvation was OK. I wasn't keen on T3 as I felt that the lead actor wasn't right for that role.

I agree with other people's comments that it should go back to being sci fi horror rather than sci-fi action.

As for watching the latest one, I think I'll wait for blu-ray after reading this thread.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

I think he will. There's nothing too scary in it; no blood and guts or full frontal nudity. Some funny moments too (the people watching on the theatre I was in thought it was a lot funnier than I did).
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to see it tonight. Expectations have been lowered for this, especially after seeing T1 last week at the cinema and thinking there's no way they're going to top this. I just get the impression it's going to be a typical Hollywood cash-in job, with none of the grittyness that made the original so special. I'll keep an open mind though, and hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    James Cameron loved it.

Could be the nod toward Ripley in the sewer scene
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Looks rubbish. Another watered down generic 12a action movie. These movies are getting so boring now, all exactly the same. No interesting story twists or any real threat or danger, just predictable characters and set pieces. The trouble is the majority of cinema goers are easily pleased and will hand over their money in droves to see this garbage. There is a place for a good action movie (Mad Max nailed it), but they are taking over cinema and better films are being ignored.
  • Options
    Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    better films are being ignored.

Better films aren't being made, at least not in the action genre. Kingsman showed that an R rated action film can make money at the US box office, but not enough for any major studio to plough $80-100m in to making an R rated actioner.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    Looks rubbish. Another watered down generic 12a action movie. These movies are getting so boring now, all exactly the same.

You got that right. Look at this comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wU5VUa3sJM

The original is brutal, felt authentic and uneasy. The Genysis knock-off is some tepid, off-brand, comedy recreation in comparison. The Genysis guy in place of 84's Bill Paxton character looks ridiculous as well.

I'm a huge fan of T1 and T2 - classic sci-fi horror and classic sci-fi action respectively (I don't count T3 and T: Salvation as legitimate Terminator films). I'm not going to insult myself by paying to watch T:Genysis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen it, it's certainly not terrible but i wouldn't say it's great either. For me, it's the best Terminator film since T1/T2. Better than T3: Rise of the Machines and miles better than Terminator: Salvation. I enjoyed it and whilst i can understand the kicking it's being given by the critics i feel it's a tad unfair as i honestly don't feel it's the worst Terminator movie ever.

I don't watch Game of Thrones so i don't know how good Emilia Clark is, but i really liked her in this and there is genuine chemistry between her and Arnie. Arnie was great but he's getting too old for this now and it shows - literally. As usual he provides some good comedy moments similar to T2. Whoever's trying to make Jai Courtney happen in Hollywood needs to stop. Now. There's just nothing to him. He's basically another Sam Worthington but worse. Remember him, no i didn't think so. Jason Clarke was fine but his arc in the film was ruined by the spoilers that were revealed in the trailer (stupid marketing!), so it didn't come as a surprise when the truth came out. Matt Smith is barely in it, 5mins at most and Oscar winner JK Simmons adds some light relief.

There's nothing new in it, it's basically the same story but rehashed in a different way. The film really only kicks into gear once it gets to Sarah Connor and Arnie. It does take some iconic scenes from T1/T2 and puts a new spin on them, that was interesting and the young Arnie Terminator render is pretty damn good. Action and special effects was your usual bog-standard. Nothing can compete with what they accomplished in T2. Ever.

The best thing i can say about it is that it's an okay-ish summer blockbuster movie which does a decent job of rebooting the franchise. Overall it was a fine 2hrs to pass by, but i wouldn't watch it again. Don't leave when the credits start rolling, there is a mid-credits scene.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Having seen it...

Was the scene where Arnie 'smiles' as cringeworthy as it looks in the trailers? Please don't tell me the cinema crowd laughed - I hate that angle that T3 introduced to the Terminator films. T2 had some lighter scenes (John teaching Arnie to say 'Hasta La Vista' etc), but that wasn't camp comedy. The horrible Macho Man scene in T3 , this 'smile' scene and an apparent Arnie nob gag(?) - horrible, misplaced crap that shouldn't be in proper Terminator films - they're supposed to be bleak and violent and any light-hearted scenes should at least add to the story instead of being jammed in to get a cheap laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Was the scene where Arnie 'smiles' as cringeworthy as it looks in the trailers? Please don't tell me the cinema crowd laughed - I hate that angle that T3 introduced to the Terminator films. T2 had some lighter scenes (John teaching Arnie to say 'Hasta La Vista' etc), but that wasn't camp comedy. The horrible Macho Man scene in T3 , this 'smile' scene and an apparent Arnie nob gag(?) - horrible, misplaced crap that shouldn't be in proper Terminator films - they're supposed to be bleak and violent and any light-hearted scenes should at least add to the story instead of being jammed in to get a cheap laugh.

In the context of that whole scene it isn't that bad. Not for me anyway. Yes, there was laughter.

Bleak, violent, dark and gritty it's not. Don't be expecting T1/T2, it never reaches those heights.

One thing i forgot to mention is that Lee Byung-hun as a T-1000 was very reminiscent of Robert Patrick from T2. He was good.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night and left feeling pretty underwhelmed. It's Ok, nothing great, certainly not compared to T1. As other's have mentioned it's got none of the grit and grime of the original, it's all very shiny. Jai Courtney was terrible in this, no charisma, no real chemistry between him and Emelia Clarke. I actually found her a bit annoying in this too, or maybe it was the character. She just didn't seem to have the authority, or the balls, for want of a better word, that you'd expect the mother of a great resistance fighter to have. Some of the scenes seemed a bit tacked on in an effort to make a homage to the T12 and T2 and didn't really add anything to the story. Speaking of which, the story was all over the place. It wasn't in any way complicated, there were just things in there that appeared to have no reason to be there, or explanations for. As for Arnie, he was just in comedy mode, so it gave the whole thing an air of parody. I agree with others, Termiantor is not, and should never be a comedy vehicle. it undermines the whole thing. I don't want a totally serious po-faced movie, there's comedy in real life and characters can see and exploit the funny side of things, but it should never be forced in a movie about killer psycho robots. Having said all that, for a couple of hours, it's a passable piece of escapism, but I don't think it's worthy of the Terminator name.