Options

Apple's Beats 1 Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Is Beats1 Radio going to be entirely music based?

Howard Stern’s SiriusXM contract only has 6 months remaining, and he would be a major signing for them. Plus he’s said he’s been in discussions with Apple before... and has recently said he has some very interesting offers available should he not re-new his SiriusXM contract.
    Like I said, he would be a major singing for them, but not if it’s all about the music. And not if they are censoring content, unlike SiriusXM.

What bit of Apple's portfolio of products would he be flogging on air?
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Zane Lowe's 5-7pm UK time show is repeated at another timeslot?

It seems all shows are repeated twelve hours after they first air. (Except for St. Vincent's show, which is on now, only 11 hours after.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a schedule for B1 available?
    This is the closest we have to a schedule:
    http://applemusic.tumblr.com/beats1
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    What bit of Apple's portfolio of products would he be flogging on air?

None of them. And if Howard Stern was to move from SiriusXM to Apple it’s probably a safe assumption he’d want complete freedom to do what he wants and say what he wants. And based on Apple’s censorship of songs that might be something they wouldn’t be willing to offer him. So maybe it’s an unlikely pairing...
    Right now pretty much, music 24/7.

I thought as much, again making Howard Stern and Apple and unlikely paring for now I guess.

But I certainly wouldn’t rule it out for sometime in the future. Howard Stern is the biggest name in radio and would be a major signing for Apple. Plus with his SiriusXM contract expiring and rumours of previous discussions with Apple in the past, it could happen...
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting article here from The Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/1/8876285/apple-beats-1-radio-replay-repeat-not-live

Is Beats 1 really a live 24hr music radio station?

I also read another article which covered Day 1 of Beats 1 which said the following:
    The launch of Beats 1, the radio station presented by former BBC Radio 1 presenter Zane Lowe, didn't go to plan.

Beats 1 started broadcasting by playing over 30 minutes of Lowe talking to his sound engineer. It's not clear whether he realised he was online.

When the station finally launched for real, it was plagued by streaming glitches. And it finished the day with over 30 minutes of downtime. That's not good for a radio station with the tagline "Worldwide. Always on."
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get Beats 1 to even load, I was halfway through the Eminem interview and it went down. All other radio stations load.
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been up and down since about 3pm.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Jobs will be turning in his iGrave.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Working flawlessly for me since launch and all day today. Eminem interview was really good. I recommend catching it on on demand or repeat if you missed it.

Beats 1 is killer. The amount of incredible music i have discovered already is insane.
  • Options
    JordanPJordanP Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    It's unlistenable for me right now. Lasts for 5 minutes and then it stops completely and it doesn't return till about 5 minutes later. It's not my connection, I get 36mbps down. Also the same issue on my iPad, Mac and windows decides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Working flawlessly for me since launch and all day today. Eminem interview was really good. I recommend catching it on on demand or repeat if you missed it.

Do you have info. for catching it on demand and repeat? I don't think Beats 1 has a demand service do they or am i mistaken?
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Do you have info. for catching it on demand and repeat? I don't think Beats 1 has a demand service do they or am i mistaken?

Yep they do on iPhone and iPad. Tap to Radio and then the banner that advertises Beats 1 Radio with the "Listen Now" link - tap anywhere above Listen Now and you'll be taken to the On Demand section for Zane's show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems all shows are repeated twelve hours after they first air.

Well that's a pain in the ass. If what you're saying is correct then the repeat of Zane's show is at 5-7am. I'm still asleep in bed then and by the time i'm up for work the show's over.

Tbh i'm not too keen on Zane's 5-7pm slot, i'd prefer if it was later at 8-10pm or 9-11pm. That would suit me better, but there's nothing i can do about that really.

Did anyone listen to his show tonight? Anything interesting said/happen apart from the Eminem interview? What was the World Record?
    Yep they do on iPhone and iPad. Tap to Radio and then the banner that advertises Beats 1 Radio with the "Listen Now" link - tap anywhere above Listen Now and you'll be taken to the On Demand section for Zane's show.

I see. Well that's me out then since i don't own an Apple product. No worries, i'm happy to listen to it streaming via my Android tablet.

Now that an Android stream for Beats 1 has been made available i do wonder if Apple will put a stop to it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    This link works on Android and Safari.

http://irumble.com/beats1/

Not worked out a direct URL for media players/WiFi radio yet though. Apparently they've encrypted it to only work on iTunes/Safari/QuickTime.

FM_Bandit - this stream has stopped working on my Android tablet. Can you double check that it still works? When i load the page and i click play nothing happens. Please tell me it hasn't been taken down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beats 1 started broadcasting by playing over 30 minutes of Lowe talking to his sound engineer. It's not clear whether he realised he was online.

That article completely missed the point of the pre-launch, haha.
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit - this stream has stopped working on my Android tablet. Can you double check that it still works? When i load the page and i click play nothing happens. Please tell me it hasn't been taken down?

Stream has stopped working.

From the website:
    UPDATE 11:00 PM JULY 1 2015 Pacific time
    Apple appears to have taken down all unencrypted streams. The only way to listen now is in iTunes, or on Apple Music app on iOS.
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »

That's me out then. I tried installing Chrome extension user agent switchers and (God forbid) even downloaded Quicktime player - all to no avail.

Never mind, plenty more choice online. Enjoying Google Play's radio streams at the moment. Free to use on whatever platform I desire. :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stream now rock solid using the iTunes app on my MacBook. Music-wise, enjoyed Julie Adenuga's show more than the Zane Lowe launch show.

Now listening to Becca D and wondering whether saying "Shout out to the Eskimos!" is a good idea when you work for a notoriously hypersensitive outfit like Apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »

Bloody Apple! Well that's me out too then :(
  • Options
    peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sticking to Spotify then, at least this works on multiple formats
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member

No I can't get this to work either. If I click it I get taken to the schedule.
  • Options
    JordanPJordanP Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I have preferred Julie over Zane so far. Zane's been quite robotic, certainly was on launch day. He said Beats 1, always on, far too often. Julie certainly oozes personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    You then tap on the show in question, then to the show in question.

I find they're only Apple Music playlists, not the actual show, though.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Looks like you have to have the latest Apple software updates.
    Updated itunes on the Windows PC and beats1 now works under "Radio" with all song titles playing, after logging in.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Its not on TuneInRadio but Apple sent me an email today offering a 3 month free trial. No way am I paying.