Betting on every outcome of a match

stuart60677stuart60677 Posts: 193
Forum Member
Is there anything to stop someone betting for every outcome (home win, draw, away win) of a match, using 3 different betting websites? You would in most cases always make a profit. I'm wondering why no-one seems to do it?

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would in most cases always make a profit.

Eh? You'd lose overall, and quite handsomely.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might just make a marginal profit if you could find three varied prices but it would scarcely be worth the effort.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good example tonight why you couldn't make a profit

Scotland 9/1
    Draw 4/1
    Spain 4/11

A pound on each outcome means that you would lose around £1.67 with the now likely Spain win

There used to be the theory that if you backed every game in the WC or Euro finals to be a draw you would come out ahead but I have never check stats to see if that is true
  • stuart60677stuart60677 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Cheers. I was just thinking that, in theory, if you were to bet on a mid-table League Two encounter it might be worth it.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you wouldnt need three different websites, just make three different bets on the same one.

Can you make a profit? It depends, if the unfancied team wins, you can make slightly more than the total you put on, but unfancied teams dont win often, and if the favourite does what is expected and wins, you will definitely make a loss. and even if the unfancied team does win, you'll never get rich on what you make.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are better betting on a team at say 4/1 with a goal of a start which would probably mean 5/4 on them winning or drawing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Good example tonight why you couldn't make a profit

Scotland 9/1
    Draw 4/1
    Spain 4/11

A pound on each outcome means that you would lose around £1.67 with the now likely Spain win

There used to be the theory that if you backed every game in the WC or Euro finals to be a draw you would come out ahead but I have never check stats to see if that is true

It's better to look at winning a set amount rather than fixing the stake.

If we aimed to win £30 (because the maths is easy) we would place £22 on Spain, £6 on the draw and £3 on Scotland. So it would cost us £31 to win £30.

If another bookie was offering 1/2 on Spain we could guarantee a profit - stake is now 20+6+3=29, so we win £1 whatever happens.

Woohoo. Just got find that bookie.

OP, have a look at football-data. Has all the historical odds including the best possible odds. You'll struggle to find many under-rounds though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny thread...

it does happen ALOT and its called sports arbitrage.

However, its incredibly hard work and if you havent got the software the professionals use, then you have a low chance of ever finding one before the websites adjust their odds.

It can be done but you will have to do it almost on a full time basis to make good money from it.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    Betting is a mugs game. You might win once but you'll lose nine times out of ten. Complete waste of money.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Betting is a mugs game. You might win once but you'll lose nine times out of ten. Complete waste of money.

That will, of course, depend on what you bet on.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arbitrage is very risky too. If you put one bet on you might find by the time you get across the odds have changed and your calculation is screwed.

I would use Betfair and take advantage of in play odds if you want to lock profit in.

Bookies will also soon suss you out when the inevitable bet of £27.83 is placed. They will lock your account pretty quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google "over-round" or "book percentage" and it will explain how bookies set their prices to ensure this doesn't happen.

Ok, so with different places with different odds you MIGHT manage to get 1-2%, it's a lot of work for little reward.

Best place to try this is betfair as it automatically calculates book % for you if you are setting up bets, you are relying on price fluctuations to get your bets matched however
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    That will, of course, depend on what you bet on.

Very few people manage to make money from betting.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on why you are betting.

If you're betting to win money, then yes, it is a mugs game.

However, I like to put a pound on a football coupon on a Saturday, knowing likely I won't win, it just makes the results coming in a little more interesting, a bit like playing the lottery, but on a smaller scale,

Some people do bet for the excitement.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little flutter to add spice to proceedings is a good thing.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say a lot of people did.

DDRickyDD said that 90% bets are losing bets and I said that'll depend on what you bet on.

Football wise people get greedy with their acca's, always adding that one more team to make the odds that bit higher and they bump it up until 1 team doesn't get the required result.

If they'd taken a treble of Chelsea/Celtic/Rangers every week then the odds will not be as great but this season they'd have won 6 times out of 7 so 85.7% of the time instead of 10% of the time.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I reality though, very few people bet to actually make money, they do it for fun in and of itself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything to stop someone betting for every outcome (home win, draw, away win) of a match, using 3 different betting websites? You would in most cases always make a profit. I'm wondering why no-one seems to do it?

type you odds in to this http://www.oddschecker.com/betting-tools/dutching-calculator.html

and see how much you would make, im sure you will soon be a rich man ;).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A sweeping statement to say the least

98% of gamblers lose money yes.
    but there are still plenty who make money out of it especially since the betting exchanges came along.

Like everything else you have to know what your doing and it takes time to learn.
    you need to at least understand odds for a start.

it doesn't matter if you lose 9 times out of 10 as in your example, the odds your taking are what is important.