Options

My Partner the Spendaholic

2»

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the thing is I could understand someone getting into debt if they were on a low salary/income what with the cost of living but this is not the case. In fact he does have a lot of disposable income which is why I find it so differcult to understand!

If he does have a lot of disposable income then i am guessing that he does not think £11k is an issue. Stupid way to borrow money using a CC but his choice.

Anyway, have you spoken to him about it yet ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    If he does have a lot of disposable income then i am guessing that he does not think £11k is an issue. Stupid way to borrow money using a CC but his choice.

Anyway, have you spoken to him about it yet ?

Don't think she has a plan to, judging by this post buried at the bottom of p1.

It's not an approach I personally would be able to take!!
    Thanks all for the input. I do wonder how it has built to this much. He has bought a new car for which he paid £1000 deposit (the rest on a finance scheme with the garage) and lots of ornament type things - for example he spend £375 on a bass sculpture last weekend. Incidently we have no were to put it and it is under the bed!

He is very well paid which in a way makes it worse.

Anyway I have decided just to leave it, everything else in our relationship is fine and I love my house so buying a home together was always more his idea. If he gets into debt so be it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would tell him that you accidentally opened his statement but that what you've seen really worries you.

It sounds as though he doesn't share your future plans and aspirations which is a worry in a long term relationship.

Unless he is very well paid that's a lot of credit card debt.

You need to talk to him about it - expect him to be defensive though because he will probably revert to a parent/child sort of conversation. However he is an adult and you should be sharing information about your finances if you are living together.

Excellent post. Honesty is vital in any relationship and honesty about money is part of that. There is no way he has the money for stamp duty if he is £11k in debt. That is a LOT!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muffin789 wrote: »
    Don't think she has a plan to, judging by this post buried at the bottom of p1.

It's not an approach I personally would be able to take!!

I just saw that, that is something my parents would do, just sweep it under the carpet.

BTW, I think she is a he.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topp wrote: »
    What a ridiculous thing to say.

talk about shallow and materialistic. Is that all you look for in a relationship? Someone who spends very little?

Wouldn't you be a joy to have has a partner.

You have no idea what he has spent the money on and your offering advice to end a 10 year relationship. Pathetic.

I've been happily married for 37 years.

And you are?