Why do students have to pay dental and prescription fees?

Comments

• zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why should some pensioners have to pay as well???????
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    I did but they said I don't qualify :confused: My parents don't even earn that much at all, so I'm not really sure why.

Oh that's why. Their income isn't yours so don't put them down.
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sophloz wrote: »
    Why can't students get prescriptions free and NHS treatment for dentistry? When I was a student I had £4000 to live on for the year, and had to pay rent, bills, food, books, transport etc. It was a real struggle so why can't students have free prescriptions. People on income support and jobseekers do so why can't students?

There is not enough money, and students are allowed to work for extra money, and most of them do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    Did you send a HC1 form in to Newcastle? I'd have thought you would qualify as a student. Are you sure you filled your form in correctly? Around £60 pw and you should definitely qualify.

I don't get free now. Used to but our income with wife working was just £5 pw over the qualifying income cut off. :mad:

I got given one by my dentist last summer and I filled it in and sent it off, can't remember where I sent it to though. I was a bit shocked that they said that I had to spend more than £240 at one time before they would help me, because I'm sure the maximum fee you pay at one time is £204 :confused: Plus the lady who worked at the dentist seemed pretty sure I would get some help or possibly get treatment for free. The problem is I have a stomach condition and mild acne as well, so I have to pay for prescriptions for medicine for them regularly as well and it all adds up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More students thinking the world owes them a living! Just pay it like the rest of us have to :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    There is not enough money, and students are allowed to work for extra money, and most of them do.

Yeah but even when you work unless you are working all the hours under the sun the average student will probably only earn around £3000 because they have to fit it in around their course, so in total they have around £7000-£8000 to live on a year. That is nothing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got given one by my dentist last summer and I filled it in and sent it off, can't remember where I sent it to though. I was a bit shocked that they said that I had to spend more than £240 at one time before they would help me, because I'm sure the maximum fee you pay at one time is £204 :confused: Plus the lady who worked at the dentist seemed pretty sure I would get some help or possibly get treatment for free. The problem is I have a stomach condition and mild acne as well, so I have to pay for prescriptions for medicine for them regularly as well and it all adds up.

You should get free prescriptions and dental treatment on your income. Send another form.
    Forum Member
    AJXX wrote: »
    More students thinking the world owes them a living! Just pay it like the rest of us have to :rolleyes:

I would if I had the bloody money! :rolleyes: That's what this whole thread is about, I can't afford to pay! Other non students who are on low incomes get help so why shouldn't students? It's not like I'm rolling in cash and going out on the lash every night :rolleyes: And you'll probably find the students who are doing that have their parents giving them money every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJXX wrote: »

They can't afford to! Laura's already said she doesn't spend much on drinks. Not all students do!
    Forum Member
    You should get free prescriptions and dental treatment on your income. Send another form.

Okies, I'll send another one off and hope for the best! Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okies, I'll send another one off and hope for the best! Thanks :)

Leave off parents income though as that's not your income!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 21 and I've worked ever since I was 16, last year I went on a full time placement in an NHS lab so I had to quit my job and since then I haven't been able to find another one. Plus I'm in my final year and my course is very intense.

I'm sick of all the crap students get on here and generally in every day life tbh. I'm paying money and studying so I can better myself and do a job that helps people, I volunteer in the holidays and have done work for charities in the holidays, I barely go out because I can't afford to. Pretty much all my money goes on train fair to get me to uni. I don't need people coming on here giving me stick for being a student. I asked a simple question, why is it that other people on low incomes get help with dental and prescription fees and students don't? I don't expect a barrage of questions about how I spent my money.

No one who is on income support or benefits of any other kind would be expected to prove how they spend their yearly income of £3000 and I bet most people on here would be saying it's a travesty if they didn't get any help with these fees. Just because I am a student I don't see why I shouldn't get any help. I can't afford these fees.

Oh boo hoo.

I was a student years ago and had to pay for dental and medical prescriptions. it's nothing new.

And what, a check up and scrape and polish is £12 every 6 months, if you need a filling that's £30 for as many as you need.
    it's not that expensive, just get an NHS dentist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point I am trying to make is many people are in the same boat, I have been made redundant and had to take a 4k a year pay drop. I am on my backside to be honest why should I not get help, or the man next door?

You do if you're on a low income. Anyone can fill in a HC1 form, from your dental surgery, and apply. Yes even working people. It depends on your income. You can get full help or partial help if you qualify. I'm on Incapacity but now have to pay for all my prescriptions and dental treatment as my wife started work. The guy in Newcastle said "if your wife earned £10 a week less you'd qualify for them free" :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do if you're on a low income. Anyone can fill in a HC1 form, from your dental surgery, and apply. Yes even working people. It depends on your income.

Not students. Don't give her false hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »

Yes even students. It all depends on your income. It's not just people on benefits. People working but on a low income can get help too.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »

You can ( or could ) if you were a mature student at the start of your course, with no other income coming in.

Unfortunately I think that if you were under 21 when you started your course, then parents income does have a bearance in a claim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can ( or could ) if you were a mature student at the start of your course, with no other income coming in.

Unfortunately I think that if you were under 21 when you started your course, then parents income does have a bearance in a claim.

Oh does it? Sorry, didn't know that. Don't want to mislead anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely when you are over 18 you stop being your parents responsibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I thought that so why put their income down too? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes even students. It all depends on your income. It's not just people on benefits. People working but on a low income can get help too.
    No.

Even if you are 'mature' student you'll have a hell of a job. I never managed it even with £30 of prescriptions every month. That's why I had a job.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    A good toothbrush, dental floss, a good toothpaste

no drinking coffee, red wine, no smoking, no sugary sweets

that should get you through until you can afford to go

or do as I have to, save up and only go once a year
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Parents can still claim tax credits and child benefit up until the age of 19 if they are still in full time education, but I don't think that applies if they start university.

Before they changed their fee structure, my parents were liable for around half of my sister's uni fees.

They weren't for mine because I was 21 when I started my course, even though I still lived at home.

I don't know how it works now, with students 'borrowing' to pay their own fees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Well if no one made the "choice to poor" there wouldn't be any doctors, nurses, lawyers and scientists etc to help people like you and them would there? Then where would society be?

Society would be importing doctors and nurses from abroad, which we do already anyway. The fact is, most students are not going to become doctors, nurses and lawyers so it doesn't make sense to give them all free dentistry when only 10 - 15% are going to go on to do something genuinely useful for our society.
  • himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost any sympathy for this argument at the thought of offering free treatment to law students. I fear we have far too many lawyers already.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't the Government just give students an endless supply of money to piss up against the wall ?