Thinking of getting a cat...

JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
Forum Member
Its like this, see. I've always liked cats, I think they're fantastic creatures and I think they're nice to have around the house. My missus is a fan and wants one.

The thing is, we bought and renovated our house over the past two years. Everything is brand new and I am very house proud.

To all you cat owners, how are they in respecting your home? Our carpet is pristine and would hate to see bits that have worn away because a cat has been clawing at it.

I expect we'll get a cat at some point in the future and it would be nice to have one now, but if I'm overly concerned about maintaining quality for my flooring and furniture for a couple more years, do you think we should postpone?

Comments

• FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's other peoples homes, and in particular their gardens that they struggle to 'respect'. Do me a favour, wherever it is in this mortal land that you live, start a trend and keep the moggy in the house all day every day and let it do it's thing in a cat litter tray that you empty yourself and dispose of yourself, which will allow all the non cat owning neighbours around your way to not find any suprises in their own gardens.

Thanks in advance from all non cat owners of Britain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    i have 4 and have pristine home my secret is to have plenty of scratching post and a cat tree to keep mine happy plenty of toys and if you have access to out doors and you get him/her chip get a cat flap what reads their chip so only him/her can get in so others dont so him/her will not feel they have to mark by scratching carpets
    Forum Member
    Function wrote: »
    It's other peoples homes, and in particular their gardens that they struggle to 'respect'. Do me a favour, where ever it is in the mortal land that you live, start a trend and keep the moggy in the house all day every day and let it do it's thing in a cat litter tray that you empty yourself and dispose of yourslef, which will allow all the non cat owning neighbours around your way to not find any suprises in their own gardens.

And how about letting others in you life it looks like you just trolling these forums and making a sarkey comments how about you don't go out and stay in all day everyday. Not all cats go out to do their busness my 4 come back to use their litter trays so dont assume that all cats do this sould try owning a cat or reserch before making comments like this :D
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jair_Sharp wrote: »
    Not all cats go out to do their busness my 4 come back to use their litter trays

Firstly I'm no troll and secondly, your above statement, I do not believe.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two cats. One ALWAYS uses the litter tray at home, even when she's just been out.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It's other peoples homes, and in particular their gardens that they struggle to 'respect'. Do me a favour, wherever it is in this mortal land that you live, start a trend and keep the moggy in the house all day every day and let it do it's thing in a cat litter tray that you empty yourself and dispose of yourself, which will allow all the non cat owning neighbours around your way to not find any suprises in their own gardens.

Cats have every right to go outside. Well brought up cats use their own lavatorial arrangements.
    Forum Member
    i would like to add also they do poop yes and if they did they bury it secondly it fertilizes the garden so its all good it means you don't add to the landfeild by chucking loads of cat litter away :cool:
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone else has stated. Get a couple of scratching posts and climbing tree things to keep them busy, also get a water spray to use as a deterrent for any possible scratching issues (they use it to mark their scent on their paws) if they go to claw something spray them, they get the message that it isn't allowed (and is less cruel than shouting at them)

basically they do less damage than children and messy humans. (do you make your guests take off their shoes and put on clean slippers when they walk on your carpet?) :D

Also to people who want cats to be kept indoors. If you have children, please keep them indoors all the time. The traffic jams because of all the parents ferrying them to school, the screaming at the bus stops and the hanging around my shops are really annoying..plus all the bullying I have to break up on public transport is really beginning to get on my nerves. thanks from all the non children owners in Great Britain)
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Its like this, see. I've always liked cats, I think they're fantastic creatures and I think they're nice to have around the house. My missus is a fan and wants one.

The thing is, we bought and renovated our house over the past two years. Everything is brand new and I am very house proud.

To all you cat owners, how are they in respecting your home? Our carpet is pristine and would hate to see bits that have worn away because a cat has been clawing at it.

I expect we'll get a cat at some point in the future and it would be nice to have one now, but if I'm overly concerned about maintaining quality for my flooring and furniture for a couple more years, do you think we should postpone?

Yes I do think you should postpone , however careful you are you're not going to stop them clawing the carpet or throwing up sometimes.

Infact if you want a perfect house, don't bother with a pet at all , !
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Yes I do think you should postpone , however careful you are you're not going to stop them clawing the carpet or throwing up sometimes.

or kids.

or friends round...

The OP could always cover everything in plastic so nothing gets ruined? :D (am joking...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly I'm no troll and secondly, your above statement, I do not believe.

Mine comes in too. She didn't use to tbh, but she does now. If she's out when I come home the first thing she does when I let her in is run to the litter tray.
  • regbobsalregbobsal Posts: 357
    Forum Member

Kittens will cause a bit of mess now & again, but you will never have unwanted small animals running around your house & they love killing spiders & fly's etc. They quickly settle down & are very clean animals, who don't need a lot of looking after.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    As someone else has stated. Get a couple of scratching posts and climbing tree things to keep them busy, also get a water spray to use as a deterrent for any possible scratching issues (they use it to mark their scent on their paws) if they go to claw something spray them, they get the message that it isn't allowed (and is less cruel than shouting at them)

basically they do less damage than children and messy humans. (do you make your guests take off their shoes and put on clean slippers when they walk on your carpet?) :D

Also to people who want cats to be kept indoors. If you have children, please keep them indoors all the time. The traffic jams because of all the parents ferrying them to school, the screaming at the bus stops and the hanging around my shops are really annoying..plus all the bullying I have to break up on public transport is really beginning to get on my nerves. thanks from all the non children owners in Great Britain)

I agree with this post. I wish people could keep their kids indoors too - the screaming, the kicking footballs against houses, the hanging around etc. If kids are allowed to 'roam' and annoy neighbours then the parents of those kids can't really complain about a few roaming cats who spend about 18 hours a day sleeping anyway.

As for keeping a house pristine with cats, I'm afraid it's just not possible unless you are really lucky with the cat you acquire. My sofas are ripped, I've had to replace my lovely living room rug, the stair carpet is a frequent target for scratching despite having scratching posts in every room. I spent a lot of money last year recarpeting all the upstairs bedrooms and I'm now wondering why I bothered. Having said that, I wouldn't be without my cats and when my Tabitha died 2 years ago. leaving me with just one cat at that time, I actually missed all the extra housework, the hoovering of cat hair and cleaning floors of muddy paws etc.

It's definitely better in the summer when the cats spend more time outdoors. I like to keep my house clean and tidy but I just have to accept that it can never be perfect while I'm a cat owner.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no two cats are the same,I've had cats who were very clean in their habits and didn't seem to shed much fur then I've had cats who come inside to go and poo in the bath or pee in the shower.if you don't mind a little extra cleaning and using disinfectant then you will have no problem.the pleasure of having a cat in your life outweighs the hygeine issues.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member

ITA. All cats are different, I've had cats all my life, all with outdoor access, good tall scratch posts, catnip spray, toys etc. One was fantastic - no damage at all. Another scratched and ripped carpets if she encountered a closed door, one preferred the leather couch for sharpening claws, another the wallpaper on a particular corner.

Indoor cats tend to be more destructive simply because they're releasing energy by climbing and playing indoors rather than outside. Teenage cats are particularly loopy and it's not unknown for them to run up the curtains! Personally I'd advise anyone who values a pristine house not to get cats. They will barf, they will shed hair and possibly scratch furniture/carpets. Think carefully - if you did have your couch scratched up or your carpets barfed on regularly could you live with it or would you end up rehoming the cat? It would be unfair to take on a cat then later rehome it for doing what cats do.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    ITA. All cats are different, I've had cats all my life, all with outdoor access, good tall scratch posts, catnip spray, toys etc. One was fantastic - no damage at all. Another scratched and ripped carpets if she encountered a closed door, one preferred the leather couch for sharpening claws, another the wallpaper on a particular corner.

Indoor cats tend to be more destructive simply because they're releasing energy by climbing and playing indoors rather than outside. Teenage cats are particularly loopy and it's not unknown for them to run up the curtains! Personally I'd advise anyone who values a pristine house not to get cats. They will barf, they will shed hair and possibly scratch furniture/carpets. Think carefully - if you did have your couch scratched up or your carpets barfed on regularly could you live with it or would you end up rehoming the cat? It would be unfair to take on a cat then later rehome it for doing what cats do.

I would never re home a cat, I know that even if it wasn't as respectful to our house as I would like, I'd still enjoy having the little fella around.

I think its too early really. We can always get cats in the future and it will be even better if we do it when we have kids - it'd be fun, inspirational and probably a bit education for kids to have cats around.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never re home a cat, I know that even if it wasn't as respectful to our house as I would like, I'd still enjoy having the little fella around.

I think its too early really. We can always get cats in the future and it will be even better if we do it when we have kids - it'd be fun, inspirational and probably a bit education for kids to have cats around.

its educational for them when your cat has kittens.all kids should experience that once.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    its educational for them when your cat has kittens.all kids should experience that once.

Nooooooooooooo! There are already far too many unwanted cats. Spay or neuter please!
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a rescue in January - she does claw the carpet, but its old anyway so I'm not bothered. She has a clawing post but she just uses that for extra practice;)
    I hadn't anticipated how much dirt she can track in from the garden, and once she cut her foot and trailed blood around. So if you have light carpets you may want to think again or get an indoor only cat (There are some that can't go outside and they need homes too:))
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I bought a new sofa, I had a water pistol to hand. In the end, all I had to do was to pick it up and she would be off. She does shed fur though. I do groom, but even then, black fur shows up on a beige carpet and my bedding is in a furry state. Because I love having a cuddly mate at night, I am not so bothered about my bed (it is just her and me), but on the spare beds, I always make sure that there is a bedspread over the bedding and I put a clean fur free one on before I have guests. Another problem can be other cats. If you have an indoor/outdoor one, others can get in and spray which is a horrible smell. I find Johnson's Odour and stain remover for pets is brilliant for spray and also for when there is unexpected vomit (thankfully not often and mostly undigested dry food so easier to clean up).
    I discovered early on that mine would not use a scratching post. I have scratching boxes on the floor which she prefers and if she isn't using those, there is always my leg (ouch!).
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I bought a new sofa, I had a water pistol to hand. In the end, all I had to do was to pick it up and she would be off. She does shed fur though. I do groom, but even then, black fur shows up on a beige carpet and my bedding is in a furry state. Because I love having a cuddly mate at night, I am not so bothered about my bed (it is just her and me), but on the spare beds, I always make sure that there is a bedspread over the bedding and I put a clean fur free one on before I have guests. Another problem can be other cats. If you have an indoor/outdoor one, others can get in and spray which is a horrible smell. I find Johnson's Odour and stain remover for pets is brilliant for spray and also for when there is unexpected vomit (thankfully not often and mostly undigested dry food so easier to clean up).
    I discovered early on that mine would not use a scratching post. I have scratching boxes on the floor which she prefers and if she isn't using those, there is always my leg (ouch!).

I had this problem until I purchased a cat flap that my cats microchips are programmed into so that only they can access the house. It is one of the best things I have ever bought. Obviosly more expensive than a regular flap but worth every penny.
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japara wrote: »
    I had this problem until I purchased a cat flap that my cats microchips are programmed into so that only they can access the house. It is one of the best things I have ever bought. Obviosly more expensive than a regular flap but worth every penny.

Unfortunately mine decided to move in just after I had two outside rear doors changed to all clear glass. Didn't have a cat, didn't want a cat, now love cats and would never be without one. It is the small bathroom window open all day for me!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    workhorse wrote: »

No they should not. It is wanton.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

I agree mine occasionally pees in the house too as she is a territorial bitch ass, normally on the bathroom rug thankfully as that is easy to clean:D
  • buxbbuxb Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    It probably depends on the cat but personally I am sick to the back teeth of the mess and destruction that my cats make. I have 3 rescue cats, none of which werre planned and despite providing several scratching posts and 5 very comfortable cat beds, none of them seem inclined to use any of them. I have tried the water pistol and catnip to no avail. I cannot place a pile of clean washing or even a single piece of clothing down without finding them covered in cat hair when I go back to them. I try to remember not to put them anywhere where the cats can sit on them but 24/7 that's easier said than done, especially when you also have kids who leave their clothes anywhere. I have a really expensive settee which is ruined and between the cat sick and the blood from dead mice and birds my carpets are also wrecked. My carpets have to be cleaned so frequently that they have become faded iin just a few years. I have tried locking the cats out of certain rooms to preserve the furniture and carpets but their response is to try to dig their way in to those rooms meaning that I now have ripped carpet around most of the internal doors. I have tried locking the cats in the kitchen where the catflap is located but this means that the kitchen worktops and floor need constant cleaning, especially in the winter with all the muddy footprints. When I get home at night if it's been raining the kitchen litterally changes colour entirely from cream to dirty brown.

I know that I'm moaning and believe it or not I do love my cats, but from one house proud owner to another this is my experience. I would never get rid of my cats now that I have taken them in but with hindsight I can honestly say that I would not have got them in the first place if I had known.