Options

Does anyone else hate London?

Lucy_ReissLucy_Reiss Posts: 63
Forum Member
I literally cannot stand it. It's great when you visit it recurrently, but when you're living there for a prolonged period of time, it really does make you think differently,

The majority of the people I've encountered are extremely rude and selfish, it's far too overcrowded, the cost of living is ridiculously expensive (even in parts of London which are not as nice and have high crime rates). The crime rate is very high, and I'm always walking around feeling the risk of getting stabbed.

Other UK cities such as Bristol, Cardiff and Bath are FAR nicer, in my opinion

What's your opinions of London?

Comments

• Options
    london79london79 Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I don't know any different as I was born and have never moved from London.

I live in east London which is very deprived - I see frequent crimes, and open drug dealing on a daily basis.

On the plus side we have 24 hour buses, cheap travel, 24 hour shops on every street corner :D
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    My opinions are low but ive not lived there just near there. The only good thing about living in london i reckon is the access to music\shows. If i was filthy rich i might consider living there because you can insulate yourself from the worst aspects and it would probably be ok
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate is a bit strong, but I'm not fond of it. I'm not a city person though.
  • Options
    Lucy_ReissLucy_Reiss Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Hate is a bit strong, but I'm not fond of it. I'm not a city person though.

Ah fair enough :) I'm definitely a city person, but not a "big city" person, if that makes sense
  • Options
    rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I don't like what parts of it have become. Overall though I'd say it's 50% dump, 40% average and 10% impressive.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born and raised in London, I moved away at 20 and came back at 27.

I love this city, and the nonsense about Londoners being rude and having no community is just that, nonsense, things have changed, sure, but friendliness and community exist here still.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    As an infrequent visitor, I love Central London. So many iconic sights and "touristy" things to do.

However most of the outlaying areas of London that I've been to are shitholes, I'd hate to live there.
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some parts of London are great. The history, the tradition, the buzzing 'world city' vibe.

However, it is a very cosmopolitan place and hence with so many different cultures and being such a melting pot can make it a little colder and more impersonal.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in London for a few years back in the 90s and I loved it, but now I've moved further out I find I like it a little less each time I visit. It seems to have got even more crowded in the last few years, making it a bit uncomfortable, too hectic and difficult to travel around at times.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    As an infrequent visitor, I love Central London. So many iconic sights and "touristy" things to do.

However most of the outlaying areas of London that I've been to are shitholes, I'd hate to live there.

I've been to London twice on holidays, and found it a wonderful and charming
    city (but not as nice as Paris, New York, or Barcelona).

However, my sister had to live in East London for a year while she did her teaching
    course, and she absolutely HATED it. She lived in a dodgy area full of vandalism
    and litter.
  • Options
    Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live just outside the M25 and avoid London like the plague. I even turn new clients down these days if the job requires me to travel there.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,651
    Forum Member
    OP - you hate all of London?

You've been to all 33 boroughs, explored every neighbourhood and interacted with all of the 8 million-ish people who live there, or are you just making an unfounded generalisation?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love London for the photography opportunities. Now if you could get rid of everyone that frequents the city and gets in the way of my photos, I'd be even happier.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    OP - you hate all of London?

You've been to all 33 boroughs, explored every neighbourhood and interacted with all of the 8 million-ish people who live there, or are you just making an unfounded generalisation?

I was just about to say that you can't say you hate London, as there are so many different areas. There are certain areas I would avoid like the plague unless I really had to go there, and others that I love.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »

I don't like the idea of calling someones neighbourhood a 'shithole', but otherwise I would basically agree with this. I love visiting London, but I wouldn't feel safe or happy in somewhere like Peckham, Newham, Wembley etc.

I think Manchester is a much more 'liveable' city, and there are some fairly nice residental areas within short bike ride or a long-ish walk of the centre.

If I was moving somewhere bigger (I'm not) I would probably choose Manchester...
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate it, but having lived there for over a year it certainly isn't my favourite city.
  • Options
    HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not my favourite city, it's also absolutely nothing like the Monopoly Board, so I feel I was lied to as a child.
  • Options
    Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been a fan of London or Londoners, the accent does my head in and the attitude of the people really grates on me. I hate the way the media and the Government think it's the be all and end all of everything in the UK. I could say more but will no doubt get in trouble for it. I would only travel thee if there was a funeral to attend to otherwise you couldn't pay me enough to go there.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just go up to London when I have to now which is just for social things.
    When I was younger the place had an appeal to me and I did go there a fair bit with my Mother who shopped a lot in London.
    Now I am older I do not like crowds at all so stay clear of busy places like that.
    I know friends of mine who live abroad love the place though.
  • Options
    davewooddavewood Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Lucy_Reiss wrote: »
    I literally cannot stand it.
    What? The whole city? There are fantastic areas in London. You can't compare London to any other city in the UK. It's like a country of it's own with various towns (boroughs) within it. London is a fantastic place, full of character, great buildings and some actual nice people! There are parts of London that are like villages as well as the hustle and bustle of the West End. Yes, parts of London are like s**tholes as well as postcode gang stabbings, but that also applies in other s**tholes in the UK.

Liverpool's best, though ;-)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

I love this city, and the nonsense about Londoners being rude and having no community is just that, nonsense, things have changed, sure, but friendliness and community exist here still.

I have to confess that my one visit to London was my last because of the attitude and rudeness of Londoners. I have visited many many cities in the UK and London was the worst.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy_Reiss wrote: »
    I literally cannot stand it. It's great when you visit it recurrently, but when you're living there for a prolonged period of time, it really does make you think differently,

The majority of the people I've encountered are extremely rude and selfish, it's far too overcrowded, the cost of living is ridiculously expensive (even in parts of London which are not as nice and have high crime rates). The crime rate is very high, and I'm always walking around feeling the risk of getting stabbed.

Other UK cities such as Bristol, Cardiff and Bath are FAR nicer, in my opinion

What's your opinions of London?

Fairly low. As you say, an awful lot of people there, are breathtakingly arrogant, nasty and up themselves. I commuted to work there for 7 years, so I know what it's like.

I now work in the town I live in, which is only 32 miles from the centre of London. But it might as well be another planet, such is the difference.
  • Options
    davewooddavewood Posts: 182
    Forum Member

Got my vote :)
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate is a very strong word.

For example, I truly loved Los Angeles of the era 1960-1990, aka Columbo's Los Angeles.

I have no interest in the place now with its often classless celebrity culture and squawky paparazzi. The only place I'd want to go would be the Tar Pits.

I guess the same applies to London. I think it's more the people that make the place, and when people change, the 'feel' changes.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best. City. In. The. World

I love london especially my part of town always something to do ... Always somewhere to go

London born and london bred and when I die I'll be london dead