Puppy doesn't like lead - advice please!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi!
Our puppy has no problem wearing a collar but hates the lead - just sits down and refuses to move :confused:

Can anyone offer any advice - do we drag him along, encourage with treats or not? We keep praising him and he occasionally walks a few steps but only to get in his basket or sit on the stairs (one of his favourite places :) )

He will be able to go outside from next week - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, I wouldn't even put him ON the lead until he's ready to go outside cos you don't want it to become associated with anything other than going for walks.

I don't think I've ever met a dog which didn't want to go outside, exploring.

I'd suggest you start off by picking the dog up and carrying him outside.
    Put the lead on while you're carrying him and then, when he sees something he's curious about, put him down and let him have a sniff around.

He'll soon figure out that the lead means "time to go exploring".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    TBH, I wouldn't even put him ON the lead until he's ready to go outside cos you don't want it to become associated with anything other than going for walks.

I don't think I've ever met a dog which didn't want to go outside, exploring.

I'd suggest you start off by picking the dog up and carrying him outside.
    Put the lead on while you're carrying him and then, when he sees something he's curious about, put him down and let him have a sniff around.

He'll soon figure out that the lead means "time to go exploring".

Thank you - that sounds like a good idea :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    People spend a lot of time carrying their puppies.

You shouldn't pull a puppy. Just wait until he follows.

Small walks at first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Definitely don't drag him around in it. Yeah, I'd carry the puppy outside first, put on his lead, maybe give him a little treat when you put it on, then just let go of the lead so he can drag it around, let him get used to it. There wouldn't be an issue with occasionally using a treat either. Make it fun, have a play with him, get out a toy or a ball he loves which will take his mind off of the lead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you everyone :D
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine hated it at first. We just took it in steps and started it off in the garden. Once he got used to being in the garden he seemed to want to explore more anyway so it was all good.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    thank you everyone :D

Give it six months and he'll probably be dragging you along by the lead, and you'll be back to ask how to stop him pulling. :p
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have always put the lead on a few times before going out and just let the pup wander round with it on around the house, once used to the lead following them then start to pick it up and get them used to it properly.

Harness instead of collars though as I am not keen on collars on delicate necks.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I always use a training line in the house and let them play normally wearing it whilst walking around etc and then start by teaching the puppy to walk to heel following you with treats in the house then in the garden then in the park and he will end up lead walking without really noticing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    I always use a training line in the house and let them play normally wearing it whilst walking around etc and then start by teaching the puppy to walk to heel following you with treats in the house then in the garden then in the park and he will end up lead walking without really noticing

I was going to suggest the same. I did pretty much the same when mine was a puppy and she got used to it really quickly. Plus as they get a little older they want to explore so you can use this curiosity to your advantage. Encourage with treats too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Alfie went out for his first walk on Monday. He woundnt go off the drive at all. A bit later I took both Alfie and max out together. Apart from getting him over the step and I carried him across the road he was fine. If he stopped max went upto him and made him follow. There walking fine now. Alfie met quiet a few dogs and woofed at every one of them. Max just stood there and let him. Once he gets used too it he will be fine
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    We have always put the lead on a few times before going out and just let the pup wander round with it on around the house, once used to the lead following them then start to pick it up and get them used to it properly.

Harness instead of collars though as I am not keen on collars on delicate necks.

I was going to say the same things. My pup doesn't like the lead being attached to a collar, but when it's on a harness she's fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone!
    He's not too bad in the house with the lead - but as soon as he gets outside he just sits down, shivers and refuses to move no matter what we try :confused:
    It may be that he is cold but he has a jacket - is it just a matter of perseverance?