UK's Magic Digital 1 mono/105.4 FM stereo (London and the South East only)

Comments

• Sandy Heath 103Sandy Heath 103 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    He's a great signing for Magic.

Just sit him down in the studio for an afternoon with a load of scripts and let him rattle off enough voicetracks to cover four or five Sunday afternoon shows.

Easy.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a great signing for Magic.

Just sit him down in the studio for an afternoon with a load of scripts and let him rattle off enough voicetracks to cover four or five Sunday afternoon shows.

Easy.

Very true. Saturdays from 3pm
    Forum Member
    Saturdays from 1pm to 3pm from next weekend until Christmas.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Michael Buble is to present a show every saturday afternoon upto christmas on Magic

The very same Michael Buble who has just released a Christmas album which will undoubtedly be on heavy rotation on Magic in the run up to Christmas.

That's a good coup for them:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has Magic gone down behind Capital and Heart? What else can the station do apart from opening up the mic slightly or moving presenters around?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What else can the station do apart from opening up the mic slightly

Surely they should be keeping it closed more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenter seems to sign off at 5 too the hour then play another peice of music.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    Surely they should be keeping it closed more!

indeed. too much yapping at the minute although Magic Mystery Voices always gives them a RAJAR boost - its a bit pricey though as promos go.

The advantage of Buble's pre-recorded show is that they are actually live for Saturday drive for once and doing traffic updates which are noticably absent from Gary Vincents pre-recorded show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    indeed. too much yapping at the minute although Magic Mystery Voices always gives them a RAJAR boost - its a bit pricey though as promos go.

The advantage of Buble's pre-recorded show is that they are actually live for Saturday drive for once and doing traffic updates which are noticably absent from Gary Vincents pre-recorded show

Is it important for Magic to have live traffic updates? It's seem that they fit it in when they want, but do the listeners notice apart from some on here?
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's important for Magic to have travel updates, as London being a capital city- people there will always want to know which roads are gridlocked, which tube lines have delays etc... and opening up the mic a bit more would be good, they hardly ever speak now as it is! All the dj's must feel like robots, only speaking for a few seconds 3 times an hour!
  • they_do_listenthey_do_listen Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Very true. Saturdays from 3pm

I think the reason Sandy Heath 103 just wrote Sundays instead of Saturdays, is because he was thinking of The Saturdays so it made him get in a muddle.

I bet Michael Buble on this show will make a lot of verbal errors that connect with the words in Haven't Met You Yet, Home, Hollywood etc. I won't bother listening though as I'm not too keen on magic 105.4 or Michael Buble personally.
    Forum Member
    What else can the station do apart from opening up the mic slightly or moving presenters around?

Here's three things I'd do:

Get back to tight format "more music, less talk". Magic's become way too chatty.

Remove the weak songs that have been added to Selector in the past 18 months.

Cut the promo clutter right back.
  • ozbritozbrit Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Michael Buble is to present a show every saturday afternoon upto christmas on Magic

How naff - a young bloke singing songs like as if this were the 1940's. If it were Jazz FM he was joining I could understand it. I used to like Magic but Buble's the last straw as far as I'm concerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So naff that he's sold more than 35 million albums worldwide.
  • MrSevernSoundFmMrSevernSoundFm Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I Do Think Magic 105 .4 Should
    Broadcast The DLT Show On Saturdays And Sundays Live From Ten Am Till One Pm Just
    Liked The Other Magic Stations Do That Would Be Good
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Do Think Magic 105 .4 Should
    Broadcast The DLT Show On Saturdays And Sundays Live From Ten Am Till One Pm Just
    Liked The Other Magic Stations Do That Would Be Good

It'd sound off-target for a station which doesn't share the same playlist as the Magic AM network.

Emap experimented with networking the FM format on AM around about 10 years ago and it bombed.
    Forum Member
    ink171 wrote: »
    So naff that he's sold more than 35 million albums worldwide.

That only proves he's popular with his particular audience and reminds me of what a work colleague said when Boney M became the biggest selling act for a while in the 1970's.

"The population of the country is 50 million, 250,000 sales will put a record top of the singles charts. So one in two hundred of the public purchased the record, that doesn't convince me the public necessarily likes them".

With 35m sales he's found his niche audience and thats great for him. Whether a latter day Dean Martin crooner can lift magics profile and ratings that remains to be seen.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Do Think Magic 105 .4 Should Broadcast The DLT Show On Saturdays And Sundays Live From Ten Am Till One Pm

I've tried to this of a worse programming idea for Magic105.4 and its hard to come up with one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heart are promoting Michael B, and Magic have him prestenting a show, wouldn't it be best if Heart got him to present a show on the station? They could have in place if Jason Donovan whilst he was on Strictly.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd sound off-target for a station which doesn't share the same playlist as the Magic AM network.

Emap experimented with networking the FM format on AM around about 10 years ago and it bombed.
    Is that because Magic AM in the north (and DLT's show) is mostly a Gold type format (Gold is mostly in the South) and the London Magic station is more of a contemporary easy listen station (and Michael Buble fit's in well)
    Maybe Bauer and Global could work together and put DLT's show on Gold for the south, where DLT will feel more at home, but doubt it! at least it is on the internet for those who want to listen.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with SH103 - Magic was a winner when it didn't have any clutter. I do think the brand has been diluted since Richard Park left. But it's still a cracking station.
  • MrSevernSoundFmMrSevernSoundFm Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I Do Hope Bauer And Global
    Will Do A Merger Wright Now And ReName All The Gold Stations To This Name
    Magic Wright Now And Get Rid Of Gold That Would Be Better Now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foxy breakfast came Live from the new BBC media centre in Manchester today. He was invited to look around.
    Forum Member
    Michael Buble simply defines what Magic's brand values.

He is the perfect artist for Magic - and has been for five or six years now!
    Forum Member
    Michael Buble simply defines what Magic's brand values.

He is the perfect artist for Magic - and has been for five or six years now!

Perhaps thats partly the reason I started getting bored with Magic and their seemingly repetitively small playlist. Nowadays we find we're listening to Smooth as our station of choice.

A pity really when one considers we were listening to Magic back in 2003 when they hardly rated, well before they rose to the top of the listening charts (in London anyway), now they seem to be falling quicker than a meteorite and I'm not overly surprised.

Yes I know that Smooth play a fair amount of Buble, but they also seem to have a huge playlist.