Options

O2 UK Results

Comments

• Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is defined as a smart phone? Or more importantly do they all use the same definition?

Also will the o2 figures include Tesco Mobile in that data?

O2 struggles on 3g in many city centres with congestion , you can just tell at lunch times how much it grinds to a hault.
  • Options
    bookey_ukbookey_uk Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    What is defined as a smart phone? Or more importantly do they all use the same definition?

O2 struggles on 3g in many city centres with congestion , you can just tell at lunch times how much it grinds to a hault.

The figures should not includeTesco Mobile or any MVNO, smartphone figures, not surprised based on the lack of 3G coverage outside city centres.
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 UK results for the quarter ending June 2015 (2015 Apr-Jun). Comparatives are with
    the previous quarter (2015 Jan-Mar) and the same quarter a year ago (2014 Apr-Jun).

Mobile Customers (Total): 22.582m (2014 Dec: 22.416m)
    Mobile Customers (Prepay): 10.793m (2014 Dec: 10.766m, 2014 Jun: 10.549m)
    Mobile Customers (Contract): 11.789m (2014 Dec: 11.650m)

Smartphone penetration: 49.9% (2015 Mar: 49.3%, 2014 Jun: 50%)

I've struggled a bit to do these figures as you may notice from the missing data, the reason being O2 have decided to remove O2 UK from the main results as they intend on selling them to Three. Hopefully Three's results tomorrow will be easier to process, and japaul may be able to do any corrections once he comes back from holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well looking at those they are showing some very slow growth.

Will be interesting to know if they are cutting back the network upgrade investment now? If so, and the Three deal happens (big IF) then what will it inherit? Doesnt bode that well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they are making growth though, EE and Vodafone aren't. Revenue and profit is up but I decided not to include those as I could not find out just mobile service revenue.
  • Options
    interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well looking at those they are showing some very slow growth.

Will be interesting to know if they are cutting back the network upgrade investment now? If so, and the Three deal happens (big IF) then what will it inherit? Doesnt bode that well.

There is no slowdown in the network modernisation programme. 559 towns now have 4G and the footprint reaches 73% outdoor pop coverage. 2G and 3G are being replaced/upgraded at the same time. They are obliged to hit 98% indoor pop coverage by end of 2017.

0.9% contract churn - YTD churn 11.6%
    139k new post pay customers (ex M2M)
    27k new pre pay customers
    Q2 revenue +1.6% YoY
    Q2 OIBDA Profit growth +14% YoY

I know that O2 regularly gets a kicking in these forums but as the only network showing net customer addictions this quarter (so far - Three release tomorrow) they must be doing SOMETHING right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is the problem as the market is saturated really now, so growth will only come through discounting to obtain customers.

Great for the consumer, not so good for the networks. The 4g factor was planned to add value, but that failed in many cases. EE probably are having limited success with getting some premium from it.

This is why the three / o2 should not be allowed as it will just kill competition and drive up prices.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    LTE Subscribers in the UK

O2: 5.77m
    Vo: 4.70m
    EE: 10.90m
    Th: 4m+

~25m total
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are obliged to hit 98% indoor pop coverage by end of 2017.
    Are they not obliged to hit 90% geographical voice coverage by 2017?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    LTE Subscribers in the UK

O2: 5.77m
    Vo: 4.70m
    EE: 10.90m
    Th: 4m+

~25m total
    Nice to see all operators 4G numbers growing, albeit Three being a little slow but they are the smallest network with the largest percentage of smartphones and any 4G additions have to come from new phones/customers rather than changing someone's tariff.
    That's assuming the Three 4G number is the Q2 number and not Q1 number, my post will look rather silly if that isn't the case :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Denco1 wrote: »
    Nice to see all operators 4G numbers growing, albeit Three being a little slow but they are the smallest network with the largest percentage of smartphones and any 4G additions have to come from new phones/customers rather than changing someone's tariff.
    That's assuming the Three 4G number is the Q2 number and not Q1 number, my post will look rather silly if that isn't the case :)

I don't know where Three is at the moment but I know it's over 4 million.

We should see another 7.5 million+ subscriptions added in the second half of the year as a minimum.
  • Options
    ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I don't know where Three is at the moment but I know it's over 4 million.

We should see another 7.5 million+ subscriptions added in the second half of the year as a minimum.

Where will all these new 7.5 million+ subscriptions come from, immigrants from the chunnel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zebb wrote: »
    Where will all these new 7.5 million+ subscriptions come from, immigrants from the chunnel?

I mean total LTE subscribers.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If O2 and Vodafone's smart phone figures start to rise and reach simular levels to those of EE and three, does anyone have an idea how there network will cope with the extra demand?
    I'm wondering this as due to the general low levels of investments in 3g over the years and the fact that they use a lower frequency for 2g and are doing largely for 4g meaning they tend to have fewer masts covering larger areas?
    I know Vodafone have 2600mhz but if they don't have enough masts in the area to spread the load surely the higher numbers will start to cause problems soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    If O2 and Vodafone's smart phone figures start to rise and reach simular levels to those of EE and three, does anyone have an idea how there network will cope with the extra demand?
    I'm wondering this as due to the general low levels of investments in 3g over the years and the fact that they use a lower frequency for 2g and are doing largely for 4g meaning they tend to have fewer masts covering larger areas?
    I know Vodafone have 2600mhz but if they don't have enough masts in the area to spread the load surely the higher numbers will start to cause problems soon?

Exactly and I think this is the case now in the city centres as its all grinding to a hault at busy times.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this is the problem as the market is saturated really now, so growth will only come through discounting to obtain customers.

Great for the consumer, not so good for the networks. The 4g factor was planned to add value, but that failed in many cases. EE probably are having limited success with getting some premium from it.

This is why the three / o2 should not be allowed as it will just kill competition and drive up prices.

The fixed / mobile convergence and internet of things market is growing massively though, with business now really starting to work out new ways of using data. Every street light, traffic light, Taxi and parcel van will likely have a 4G connection over the next decade.

To me 4G was never about much over the DC-HSPA networks that Three and EE already had, it didn't really enable 1 single thing to happen that the consumer couldn't do before, but it does have a lot of carrier and capacity benefits.

I'm still waiting for the outcry of people desperate to get 50Mb/s mobile speeds outside the audience of limited forum websites or tech nerds, (that isn't meant as an insult as it probably includes me).
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The fixed / mobile convergence and internet of things market is growing massively though, with business now really starting to work out new ways of using data. Every street light, traffic light, Taxi and parcel van will likely have a 4G connection over the next decade.

To me 4G was never about much over the DC-HSPA networks that Three and EE already had, it didn't really enable 1 single thing to happen that the consumer couldn't do before, but it does have a lot of carrier and capacity benefits.

I'm still waiting for the outcry of people desperate to get 50Mb/s mobile speeds outside the audience of limited forum websites or tech nerds, (that isn't meant as an insult as it probably includes me).

It does have the ability to do WC to VoLTE (and vise versa) handoff and of course will do VoLTE AMR WB pretty soon. Power will increase and then the true advantage over 3G will be seen.
    Not insulted, I'm one too. I STILL have 1.7Mbps fixed and 15Mbps cellular.
    Gotta get better soon....
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Whilst i'm interested in high speeds for the new opportunities they create, its the increase in capacity (ie, getting rid of the 3G 'stalls' in apps) that is the best thing about LTE (4G) for me.

So everyone can have a smartphone (e.g. Three's 98% number) and the network can cope.

This is where the £40 4G capable handsets that Vodafone and EE are offering are amazing.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giffgaff is still growing.

Customer numbers for 2014 (we only get them once a year) show that their customer base at 31/12/2014 was 1.593m, an increase of 394,000 compared with the end of 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well isnt it o2 back haul that is behind GG? Surly this should have got better with all these new masts and the move to 4g? I guess it does depend how many more custoemrs o2 and Tesco are wacking on the network as well though.
  • Options
    blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well isnt it o2 back haul that is behind GG? Surly this should have got better with all these new masts and the move to 4g? I guess it does depend how many more custoemrs o2 and Tesco are wacking on the network as well though.

I think it's also the case that Giffgaff simply buy an aggregate link for all their customers data usage, and it's this link which is congested. The local masts might well support more speed, but the congestion is (strangely) elsewhere in the chain.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest results for O2. Customer totals exclude machine to machine.

O2 UK results for the quarter ending September 2015 (2015 Jul-Sep). Comparatives are with the previous quarter (2015 Apr-Jun) and the same quarter a year ago (2014 Jul-Sep).

Mobile Service Revenue: £1075m (2015 Apr-Jun: £1050m, 2014 Jul-Sep: £1104m)

Mobile Customers (Total): 22.751m (2015 Jun: 22.582m, 2014 Sep: 21.969m)
    Mobile Customers (Prepay): 10.823m (2015 Jun: 10.793m, 2014 Sep: 10.658m)
    Mobile customers (Contract): 11.928m (2015 Jun: 11.789m, 2014 Sep: 11.311m)

4G Customers: 6.632m (2015 Jun: 5.770m, 2014 Sep: 2.996m)

Smartphone Penetration: 50.6% (2015 Jun: 49.9%, 2014 Sep: 50.5%)
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    A whole 50.6% smartphone penetration! Wow!
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    A whole 50.6% smartphone penetration! Wow!

Yes they have got above 50% again. Wonder if it will go back down again? O2 the Old Dears network ;)
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Yes they have got above 50% again. Wonder if it will go back down again? O2 the Old Dears network ;)

It was wavejock.