upgrading to current gen in september - help me decide!

circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
Forum Member
✭✭
hey

i am upgrading in september when pes16 comes out, not sure which console to buy

past consoles i have owned are: spectrum zx, NES, sega megadrive, N64,Gamecube,Xbox 360

love my 360 so always assumed x1 upgrade would be a given but now i am in 2 minds

for me i am buying console mostly for pes 2016, that is made as priority for sony if we are being honest, all hands on and conference showings are ps4 version(this seems to be the case with all games actually) also pes fanbase is mostly on playstation so getting a game should be easier on sony console.

also 1080p seems to be norm on ps4 but not x1,now i am not a grpahical buff but the game is known to run smoother and look better on ps4.

also kit editing can only be done on ps4 as they allow usb stick support and microsoft do not.

on the flipside i really like xbox live(and psn had that bad hacking which makes me paranoid) xbox interface also looks nice, i am not a fan of sonys dvd player like menus.

apparently psn plus offers free games though of betetr quality than games with gold? also in terms of multiplayer on games i purchase retail can i play games online without playstation plus?

controller wise i prefer xone, never been huge fan of playstation controller. maybe i could learn to love it though?

can you play videos from usb on playsation? or is it all rights protected? and can you sign up to psn plus without using a credit card?

really do not know what to do, help!

Comments

• Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    My advise would be to see if you can play around with a PS4 or XB1 either in a store or around a friend's house to see how you feel about it. The menu system of the PS4 not the XMB of the PS3 that you are afraid of - and in fact it's a lot easier to navigate than the XB1 IMO. Playstation Plus is mandatory for online gaming like Xbox Live Gold is. And a new media player has just been released to allow you to play movies from USB.

Good luck!
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most GAME stores have both an XBO and PS4 to try out by now.

I have both, and personally I prefer to the Xbox One. For me, it's the all round better console.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    My advise would be to see if you can play around with a PS4 or XB1 either in a store or around a friend's house to see how you feel about it. The menu system of the PS4 not the XMB of the PS3 that you are afraid of - and in fact it's a lot easier to navigate than the XB1 IMO. Playstation Plus is mandatory for online gaming like Xbox Live Gold is. And a new media player has just been released to allow you to play movies from USB.

Good luck!

thank you! i like watching movies in bed from usb so thats big info
    brb wrote: »
    Most GAME stores have both an XBO and PS4 to try out by now.

I have both, and personally I prefer to the Xbox One. For me, it's the all round better console.

i have played ps4 and x1 before in shops, nothing strikes me as MUST BUY THIS CONSOLE though.

can i ask what specially gives x1 the edge in your opinion?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH there is very little in it between the two consoles and it really comes down to what friends have and whether you want to play with them and what game exclusives each system offers.

Both play media, I think XB1 is better at this as its had this feature longer.
    Both offer free games as part of their network subscription, quality of titles is subjective.
    Both require subscription to play online, but PS4 doesn't require it for F2P games.
    Controllers is again subjective, but from my experience its easy enough to become accustomed to a new controller (I hated the DS3 when I went from Xbox to PS3 (Thought the sticks were in the wrong place, now the Xbox controller feels awkward after so many years of using a Dualshock)).
    Resolution really doesn't matter anywhere near as much as internet forums would have you believe, for the most part if you only own one system you want notice anything wrong if you happen to own the 'bad' version of a game.
    Both LIVE and PSN offer prepaid cards so you dont have to use a credit card.

If PES is your main concern and if PES really is better on PS4 than get a PS4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmmmmm thanks for that. i best freind owns an xbox 360 but rarerly plays games and my cousin who i play pes with online also owns 360 but he would probably follow whatever console i get i think.

i am gonna be moving the console between bedroom and downstairs living room often, i hear ps4 has no power brick so might be more portable?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in same boat as op going to upgrade september/october but for the first time in 20 years i'm really torn, normally i've always been a playstation1,2,3 person but this generation i'm really torn between xbox1 and ps4. My local game store doesn't have demo systems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wanted to play banjo kazooie too lol, damn exclusives arghh

doing some heavy research now,thanks for replies and still open to more advice!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What other games would you be interested in playing?

Are you more keen on the Xbox exclusives or the PlayStation exclusives?

Do you have more friends on PSN or on Xbox Live?

Stuff like that is - IMO - more important than some games being 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The X1 user interface is getting a huge overhaul in the next few months so you may want to chase down videos of this in action to see what you think of it.

I have both consoles and prefer the X1 to the PS4, I like the controller more and also the X1 is quieter than the PS4.
  • ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMHO the only way of getting the most enjoyment out of it is finding out what your friends have got or what they are getting, unless you really are into exclusives. I can't see much difference between either console.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    friends aint really gamers for most part, those that are had 360 but on next gen yet.

stand out games for me are star wars battlefront, mgs 5, final fantasy 15,final fantasy 7,tomb raider 2, pes 2016, racing game out of project cars/forza or GT, rare replay.

have always wanted to play last of us,unchartered etc just never been able too of course.

how loud is the ps4? because watching netflix or wwe network on 360 is annoying because of fan, have to put tv on to 80% volume sometimes.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,718
    Forum Member
    My PS4 is virtually silent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wash wrote: »
    My PS4 is virtually silent.

quick google shows ALOT of people having issues with loud ps4 fan, i dont want my purchase to be pot luck on wether i will have this issue or not.

now leaning back towards x1 lol
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Odd.

My PS4 is a launch day console and is almost silent.

Even chucked it on and played a game for 30mins and its still almost silent.

Room Temp is 27C
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    quick google shows ALOT of people having issues with loud ps4 fan, i dont want my purchase to be pot luck on wether i will have this issue or not.

The new PS4s hitting Japan now are quieter than ever. They'll make their way over here in time too.

I have both consoles and as a gaming machine I prefer PS4 hands down. Xbox One is a bloody good media device though, even if the OS is a disaster, but that is pretty much all I use it for.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My PS4 is loud and it seems to be loud from the off so I doubt it is a heating issue.
  • ChrisR1979ChrisR1979 Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Just to add a different take on the PS4/XB1 debate, 2 months ago I was in the same quandry, in the end I went for neither!

Always been a Sony man. Had a PS1/2/3 but decided to avoid the PS4 on grounds of not wanting to start over lining Sony's pockets yet again due to lack of backwards compatibility. I has a decentish Steam collection on my non-gaming PC so have gone for this thing:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...e-alpha-review

I got the midrange model i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD with a built in graphics card, and it has generally benchmarked in line with the PS4 and ahead of the XB1

Pretty pleased with it so far. Gives a console-like experience in the sitting room even though it IS a PC. It autoboots to its own bespoke UI (which includes Kodi media player fully customisable) however if you so wish you can boot it into Windows 8, and hotkey the supplied XB360 controller to act as a mouse. Huge backcatolgue of games available at low prices (which offsets the initial more expensive cost) and you are also futureproofing yourself your future tech evolution as you will just be able to re-download your Steam/Uplay/Origin games on any new machine in future.

By way of balance there is the worry that performance MAY not keep up with PC gaming requirements whereas with a console that's never an issue. However all the parts other than the bespoke graphics card are fully upgradable.

I have usually (not quite evey year) been a PES over FIFA fan. PES 2015 plays really well on the Alpha. Graphically the PC port is inferior to the PS4 version being inexplicably only a half-next-gen upgrade from the PS3 version (when in theory the PC version could and should be the best of all) and its been confirmed that PES 2016 will be given the same treatment. As I said though it plays beautifully and is also fully patchable in a way that just isn't possible with the consoles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steambox not really for me, i only use steam for football manager on my laptop

if i got a loud ps4 could i take it back to shop? and keep replacing till i got quiet one?

my cousin has stated he is getting an x1 no matter what.

maybe i could just swap consoles with him bi monthly lol

ps4 has the better games it looks like, i went tesco yesterday and could see NO psn plus cards but wall was littered with xbox live ones, i am thinking xbox live is the easier service to use.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stand out games for me are star wars battlefront, mgs 5, final fantasy 15,final fantasy 7,tomb raider 2, pes 2016, racing game out of project cars/forza or GT, rare replay.

have always wanted to play last of us,unchartered etc just never been able too of course.

Breaking that down:

SW Battlefront, MGS V, FF XV, PES, and Project Cars are all multiplatform.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza, and Rare Replay are Xbox only.

FF VII, GT, The Last of Us, Uncharted are PS only.

So... which exclusives do you want to play the most?
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox One will have some backwards compatability, if that swings you in that direction. Also with Windows 10 compatability, it will be interesting to see how that affects the console. Does playing PC games on your tv appeal, or playing Xbox Games on your laptop? Personally I got an Xbox and I think I made the right choice, apart from Bloodborne, nothing is enticing me over to get a PS4 too. Xbox One seems to have lots of exclusives coming this year, while PS4 doesn't have any more triple A's coming till next year.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox one
  • stiflingcobrastiflingcobra Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    To be honest there really isn't much to choose between them.

PS4 has better looking GFX but XB1 has smoother gameplay if Digital Foundry are to be believed as they always prefer the lower res XB1 game over the PS4 version.

I own both consoles and both get equal game time but I get more enjoyment playing online out of my PS4 as my mates all have that one. I'm in the minority on the XB1.

The XB1 is pretty silent as I've never heard the fans on it even after playing Witcher 3 for hours...

Online gaming is cheaper on XB1 as live can be got v cheap.

Digital Games seem to be cheaper on XB1 as well after a while. PS4 game prices hardly change.

But the main thing it comes down to is what consoles do your mates have?? as they will be the people you will play online most with.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Breaking that down:

SW Battlefront, MGS V, FF XV, PES, and Project Cars are all multiplatform.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza, and Rare Replay are Xbox only.

FF VII, GT, The Last of Us, Uncharted are PS only.

So... which exclusives do you want to play the most?

Just to point out:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive, so may very well come to PS4.

FF7 was shown at the Playstation conference, but may very well come to Xbox1.

No concrete info has been given about either.
  • KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 is way better than that piece of garbage the Xbox One. Buy One if you like lots of your reboots of the old games and want to spend another 40 quid even though you own the game on Xbox 360 LOL. they can't come up with anything new or good current gen so its an embarrasment.