Options

Daily Mail faux outrage at slimming pills called "Semtex"

FlorianFlorian Posts: 305
Forum Member
Utterly pathetic article by the Daily Mail as usual:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277357/Ex-model-Jodie-Marsh-disgusts-IRA-victims-launching-diet-pills-called-Semtex.html

I do not expect anything of any merit from the Daily Mail but I do check their site sometimes in hope more than expectation.

Comments

• Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Good job they don't know about nitroglycerin tablets being prescribed to heart patients.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277357/Ex-model-Jodie-Marsh-disgusts-IRA-victims-launching-diet-pills-called-Semtex.html

I do not expect anything of any merit from the Daily Mail but I do check their site sometimes in hope more than expectation.

That's utterly hilarious :D

Worst outrage ever.
    Worst marketing ever.
    Worst diet-pill ever.
    Worst 'celebrity' ever.
    Epic fail on all counts.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I be the first on here to be OUTRAGED by it then??? :D:D:D:D In fact I'm going to get a bucket before I re-read the article, just in case I vomit with outrage.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Good job they don't know about nitroglycerin tablets being prescribed to heart patients.

I dread to think what they might make of my Uzi binoculars or the Cherry Bomb silencer I had on my TZR125.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a DJ Semtex who is a presenter on BBC 1Xtra, Jodie Marsh informed the BBC of this when they wanted to interview her over the choice of name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Semtex
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love The Daily Mail, always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the outrage from the DM, 'faux' or otherwise? A pathetic celebrity has chosen a ridiculous name for her product that has quite understandably caused a degree of upset to victims of the product it's named for. Seems fair enough to me. The DM is simply reporting on it.

What I am surprised at is that she's even allowed to call it that. Has the trademark on the plastic explosive lapsed or something?
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Gunpowder tea?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Where's the outrage from the DM, 'faux' or otherwise? A pathetic celebrity has chosen a ridiculous name for her product that has quite understandably caused a degree of upset to victims of the product it's named for. Seems fair enough to me.

What I am surprised at is that she's even allowed to call it that. Has the trademark on the plastic explosive lapsed or something?

Are you offended by the courier company called TNT? TNT explosive has claim peoples lives. Are you also offended that the BBC allow a DJ called DJ Semtex to broadcast on their stations?
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite mma fighters - OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2usbj2t.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you offended by the courier company called TNT? TNT explosive has claim peoples lives. Are you also offended that the BBC allow a DJ called DJ Semtex to broadcast on their stations?
    Do people even bother reading anything anymore before posting? No, I'm not personally offended - I never said I was - but the point is, neither is the DM making any comment on it. They're simply reporting that a campaign group is offended.

ETA - if you think it's ridiculous that they are, please do write to them. Let us know their response.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You often find different companies owning identical trademarks to different classes of product e.g. you can use "Apple" for your business as long as there's no risk of being in the same market sector as the big IT company. Gets a bit more complicated if you appear to be trading off the reputation of a particular brand, but maybe they haven't registered the trademark in other classes.

I've seen an energy drink in the Czech republic called Semtex, if anyone wants to get outraged about that too.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »

:D
    Perhaps we should tell them. I'll happily join you in writing the letter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    You often find different companies owning identical trademarks to different classes of product e.g. you can use "Apple" for your business as long as there's no risk of being in the same market sector as the big IT company.

I've seen an energy drink in the Czech republic called Semtex, if the DM wants to get outraged about that too.
    Ah, I didn't realise that.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Do people even bother reading anything anymore before posting? No, I'm not personally offended - I never said I was - but the point is, neither is the DM making any comment on it. They're simply reporting that a campaign group is offended.

ETA - if you think it's ridiculous that they are, please do write to them. Let us know their response.

The issue is that they're publicising a thing that's a bit silly and, in doing so, they give it credibility.

There are probably more people who're outraged at the thought of space-lizards living in Buckingham Palace than there are about this, so how come the DM isn't reporting their outrage too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    The issue is that they're publicising a thing that's a bit silly and, in doing so, they give it credibility.

There are probably more people who're outraged at the thought of space-lizards living in Buckingham Palace than there are about this, so how come the DM isn't reporting their outrage too?
    Well, it's a big site, I don't think we can be certain they're not (;)) but there's more faux outrage in this thread against the DM than there is from the DM in that article.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    That's utterly hilarious :D

Worst outrage ever.
    Worst marketing ever.
    Worst diet-pill ever.
    Worst 'celebrity' ever.
    Epic fail on all counts.

This x 1000.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D That is utterly bizarre even by DM standards!
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the outrage from the DM, 'faux' or otherwise? A pathetic celebrity has chosen a ridiculous name for her product that has quite understandably caused a degree of upset to victims of the product it's named for. Seems fair enough to me. The DM is simply reporting on it.
    That's what I thought too - DM hasn't said anything on the issue itself apart mentioning 'the bizarre name', but is reporting on the outrage from the spokesperson for families who were affected by the IRA's use of the explosive, not DM themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    You often find different companies owning identical trademarks to different classes of product e.g. you can use "Apple" for your business as long as there's no risk of being in the same market sector as the big IT company. Gets a bit more complicated if you appear to be trading off the reputation of a particular brand, but maybe they haven't registered the trademark in other classes.

I've seen an energy drink in the Czech republic called Semtex, if anyone wants to get outraged about that too.

Commies were particularly bad at intellectual ownership protection. They often didn't bother registering them because they couldn't understand the value of the brand rather than the product. Hence Semtex energy drink.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to smile when the unamed woman said 'I fail to see why anyone would wish to have any connection to a product which kills and maims'.

I wonder if she enjoys magnum ice-cream lollies :D
  • Options
    QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to smile when the unamed woman said 'I fail to see why anyone would wish to have any connection to a product which kills and maims'.

I wonder if she enjoys magnum ice-cream lollies :D

Maybe she gets offended by those little "pocket rockets" you can get at Ann Summers because astronauts have died whilst in a rocket being launched into space....

A item for pleasure shouldnt be named after a DISASTER!!!
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sherbet bombs are also out. :eek:
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QueenMaude wrote: »
    Maybe she gets offended by those little "pocket rockets" you can get at Ann Summers because astronauts have died whilst in a rocket being launched into space....

A item for pleasure shouldnt be named after a DISASTER!!!

Or bullet vibrators :D
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ever the optimist eh? :D