Accidental Roaming

Mark CMark C Posts: 20,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is bollocks surely, if you're beyond 35km from a base station, you may well see
the networks listed, but the time delay for GSM is too long to allow authentication ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26513546

Comments

• Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    This is bollocks surely

No, it's a well known phenomenon.

It's been happening for decades and somehow it manages to bubble up into the news every few years.
  • ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    there was a story a few years back about this, a woman looked at her husbands phone bill and saw a load of calls coming from France she thought he was having an affair turns out he was just connecting to a French mast over the sea.
  • Gari PGari P Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    ... if you're beyond 35km from a base station...

If the BTS has extended range then up to 120km is possible, though I doubt this is the case here.
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not uncommon at all, 3 years ago I posted on my twitter being able to pick up both Dutch & Belgian mobile networks on the coast of Great Yarmouth.

Screenshot: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2s6QlPCAAA1Iyh.jpg
  • ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted a thread about this on the Radio forum. All the replies I received were about French reception. Its interesting to hear you received a Dutch carrier. Do you remember who it was? EDIT; Sorry just clicked the link and saw it was KPN amongst others.
  • Gari PGari P Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    ... pick up both Dutch & Belgian mobile networks on the coast of Great Yarmouth.

That's pretty impressive and at least 150km coast to coast

I have picked up signals from IOM and Ireland in a high spot in North Wales
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was using my phone next to Niagra Falls, Canada, my phone connected to AT&T (USA carrier) instead of a Canadian carrier.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    AlecR wrote: »
    When I was using my phone next to Niagra Falls, Canada, my phone connected to AT&T (USA carrier) instead of a Canadian carrier.
    That is not going to tax the limits of GSM distance! The same thing happens at most borders in Europe!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    I posted a thread about this on the Radio forum. All the replies I received were about French reception. Its interesting to hear you received a Dutch carrier. Do you remember who it was? EDIT; Sorry just clicked the link and saw it was KPN amongst others.

Yes, yes, I know, I've seen the same on my phone, but my question was how can anybody manage to authenticate, and therefore log on to the network over a distance that exceeds the GSM delay period, which is exceeded normally at a distance of 35km ?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes, I know, I've seen the same on my phone, but my question was how can anybody manage to authenticate, and therefore log on to the network over a distance that exceeds the GSM delay period, which is exceeded normally at a distance of 35km ?

Well wiki says:

By implementing the Extended Range feature, the BTS is able to receive the uplink signal in two adjacent timeslots instead of one. When the mobile station reaches its maximum timing advance, i.e. maximum range, the BTS expands its hearing window with an internal timing advance that gives the necessary time for the mobile to be heard by the BTS even from the extended distance. This extra advance is the duration of a single timeslot, a 156 bit period. This gives roughly 120 km range for a cell.[3] and is implemented in sparsely populated areas and to reach islands for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_advance

Could that explain it?
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    That is not going to tax the limits of GSM distance! The same thing happens at most borders in Europe!

I wasn't saying it was? :confused:
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, seems like I need to gen up on all the latest technologies, as I think the last time I studied how things worked was back in the GSM days!

120 km is pretty impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well wiki says:

By implementing the Extended Range feature, the BTS is able to receive the uplink signal in two adjacent timeslots instead of one. When the mobile station reaches its maximum timing advance, i.e. maximum range, the BTS expands its hearing window with an internal timing advance that gives the necessary time for the mobile to be heard by the BTS even from the extended distance. This extra advance is the duration of a single timeslot, a 156 bit period. This gives roughly 120 km range for a cell.[3] and is implemented in sparsely populated areas and to reach islands for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_advance

Could that explain it?

Indeed it could, in which case the French could be asked to to reduce the advance, and prevent any risk of logging on (at least for Dorset/Devon). Of course, It's unlikely
    they'd respond to such a request !!
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once connected successfully to N Telenor near New Aberdour on the Moray coast. This was a long time ago - it's never happened again.

On the beach in Lincolnshire I connected to BEN NL (again, a long time ago!)

Often at Porthcurno in Cornwall my phone switches to French time, and connects briefly to Orange F, but just for a few seconds.

On a semi related note - I picked up a German freeview multiplex for a whole evening last summer through my tv aerial in Aberdeen. Presumably atmospheric conditions....
  • ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to the German TV reception I also received 4 muxes one night in June. It was due to a strong tropospheric enhancement. The FM radio band was also swamped with German stations. In the event of conditions like that returning again this summer you will probably be able to scan German mobile networks.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

Surely 3G networks using the WCDMA standard are not limited to the timeslot theory that is prevalent with TDMA networks such as GSM?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Often at Porthcurno in Cornwall my phone switches to French time, and connects briefly to Orange F, but just for a few seconds.

On a semi related note - I picked up a German freeview multiplex for a whole evening last summer through my tv aerial in Aberdeen. Presumably atmospheric conditions....

I have a friend not a million miles from Porthcurno who had fairly reliable reception of several French TV multiplexes.

I'm a bit further up and I've never been able to duplicate it nor ever roam onto a different network, but French and Irish FM radio isn't uncommon for me to pick up.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not uncommon at all, 3 years ago I posted on my twitter being able to pick up both Dutch & Belgian mobile networks on the coast of Great Yarmouth.

I've even see tmobile NL in Norwich on one occasion!
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, that's amazing! I certainly wouldn't expect to see O2 coverage there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely 3G networks using the WCDMA standard are not limited to the timeslot theory that is prevalent with TDMA networks such as GSM?

I don't know, tell us more please ?
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Wow, that's amazing! I certainly wouldn't expect to see O2 coverage there.

:D:D:D
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gari P wrote: »
    That's pretty impressive and at least 150km coast to coast

I have picked up signals from IOM and Ireland in a high spot in North Wales
    You call that impressive? I've picked up signals from Germany along the the coast from Dundee. Which is over 700km. Then again I've picked up Irish signals from a plane over Birmingham. Signal travels a loooooong way line of sight.
    Nobody said it was GSM, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the article.
    This.

Although 3G has other limitations that aren't directly dependent on distance.

Also boats, with transmitters on board...

Also, if you look at the coverage maps of some UK networks that like to inflate the appearance of their coverage you can see some large blobs reaching dozens of miles out to sea all around the coast - often the ends of these blobs are not so much the maximum range of the mast but the maximum range configured in the coverage map rendering software beyond which it doesn't bother calculating anymore. Indeed you often even see perfect circles of coverage bounded this way inland in some conditions.
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've even see tmobile NL in Norwich on one occasion!

That is preety cool! It really is a funny thing with wireless signals because the conditions have to be just precise and perfect and at the right time for such extemeties ;-)
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how far away you'd have to be for the curvature of the earth to block off a typical 30-40m mast?
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    I wonder how far away you'd have to be for the curvature of the earth to block off a typical 30-40m mast?

There's a calculator here. Says 22.6km for a 40m mast. Of course most (all?) mobile masts will be above see level so line of site will be further, but conversely will often have higher ground in the way,

http://www.hamuniverse.com/lineofsightcalculator.html