Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR

Comments

• mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: we're going backwards, are they really restricted to do that by the Freeview agreement - surely not, since there are lots of other recorders that store SD unencrypted and allow it to be transferred off.

Yes, that goes against the current Ofcom position:

"7.4 Nevertheless, whilst not a formal condition of our granting of a licence amendment, we welcome the commitment that the BBC has made to ensure that application of content management by broadcasters is consistent with copyright legislation. These
    include:
    [...]
    • That content management is not [sic] be applied to broadcast SD content"

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/content_mngt/statement/statement.pdf

So while keeping SD in the clear is not a formal condition on the broadcasters it is seen as desirable by Ofcom. Whether as a deliberate exploitation of this loophole or not, some manufacturers seem to be to encrypting SD pretty quickly anyway!
    Sounds like we're stuck with home-brew firmware or DIY entertainment centres until an enterprising chinese manufacturer comes out with something for us.I was hoping Youview would be the answer, however it too is driven by the TV broadcasters so seems to be little hope that it will be the open platform that we need.

I think that's dead on. See also (my bolds throughout)

"6.24 In relation to “fully open” implementations of HD DTT receivers using open source software, we recognise that such implementations may not fulfil the BBC’s licensing terms for the Huffman Code look-up tables. As a result, receivers based on open source codes are likely to require a proportion of proprietary software or hardware which would ensure the BBC’s licensing requirements are met. Whilst this restriction may result in some consumer detriment in terms of innovation in the open source community, given the very low adoption of receivers based on fully open source software compared to those based on proprietary technologies, we are of the view that the detriment will be small and outweighed by the benefits."

So, to consumer detriment, that's the end of open source, encryption-free solutions. But...

"6.6 One receiver provider suggested that manufacturers who produced receivers that were not reliant on the broadcast EPG data stream (for instance those that retrieved EPG data via a broadband connection) may choose not to implement content management even if the BBC’s proposed licence amendment were granted. This manufacturer claimed that this could distort the market in their favour if consumers were attracted to such products."

and

"6.14 In relation to receivers that are not reliant on the broadcast EPG data (and the concerns that such receivers may choose not to include content management) – we do not expect the market for such receivers to be significant for the foreseeable future compared to the market for products that are able to operate without a broadband connection. It is reasonable to assume that consumers generally expect their television receivers to work without an active broadband connection, particularly for integrated digital TVs. We therefore do not expect that the availability of receivers which do not contain content management technology, but require a broadband connection, will significantly impact the market for set top box and integrated digital TV receivers that only require a DTT feed to operate. "

Now there's a clear opening for said enterprising niche manufacturer. How insignificant it will end up being remains to be seen, especially when some DRM systems seem more or less to insist on a broadband connection (e.g. ps3 firmware updates). The future may happen more quickly than Ofcom foresees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »

Now there's a clear opening for said enterprising niche manufacturer. How insignificant it will end up being remains to be seen, especially when some DRM systems seem more or less to insist on a broadband connection (e.g. ps3 firmware updates). The future may happen more quickly than Ofcom foresees.

Wow, its all there in black and white ! We need that one manufacturer and then some enterprising dudes to retrofit the broadcast EPG as we have seen done on some satellite boxes which can now pickup freesat epg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Hi All

I need some help, please.

I am trying to set my Humax Foxsat HDR to work with Raydon's RAR archive to become a "fully functioning media and file server. BUT I am stuck.

I have updated the .hdf file on the box, but that is as far as I have got.

Under software installation: it says copy the setup folders to /mnt/hd4/opt .In words of one syllable, HOW DO I DO THAT? I have tried using Filezilla to transfer to the HDR, but I dont think I am doing it right. I used TELNET.ORG as the host - HUMAXFTP as the username and /OPT/FTP/0000 as the password. I seem to get a connection (not sure if it's the right one) but there is no sign of a remote server to transfer the file to.

If anybody can explain the procedure in easy stages to this novice I would be grateful

Many thanks

Robert
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used TELNET.ORG as the host - HUMAXFTP as the username and /OPT/FTP/0000 as the password. I seem to get a connection (not sure if it's the right one) but there is no sign of a remote server to transfer the file to.

I think this is how I did it.. Host should be the IP address of your Humax box ie. 192.***.**.*
    HumaxFTP is the username
    0000 is the password
    and port number 21. then click the quick connect button.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, GC

I can now see the setup files are installed on the HDR.

Now it says "Using Telnet enter the following sequence of commands"

Where do I do that?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, GC

I can now see the setup files are installed on the HDR.

Now it says "Using Telnet enter the following sequence of commands"

Where do I do that?

Thanks

You're following Raydons original instructions, which are quite correct but an easier set of instructions was created by mrmarky here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1409035-media-file-server-bundle-foxsat-hdr-dummies-guide.html

Basically you need to use a telnet program, most windows PCs have a command called "telnet" as in the guide above, my windows 7 PC doensn't seem to, I use a free program called "putty" instead. These programs let you type instructions to the HDR operating system, in much same way as typing DOS commands on a PC (if you ever did that).
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically you need to use a telnet program, most windows PCs have a command called "telnet" as in the guide above, my windows 7 PC doensn't seem to, I use a free program called "putty" instead. These programs let you type instructions to the HDR operating system, in much same way as typing DOS commands on a PC (if you ever did that).

This post may be relevant to Win 7 users

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14114853-post88.html
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I found the command prompt and changed to the telnet dir. I put the humax IP address in like MrMarky shows, but it comes up "invalid command"

Any ideas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks

I found the command prompt and changed to the telnet dir. I put the humax IP address in like MrMarky shows, but it comes up "invalid command"

Any ideas?

the commands have to be typed as shown so make sure you place spaces in the right places where required

eg
    telnet 192.168.0.4

* using your boxes IP address
    Forum Member
    Thanks once again.

I did it with Putty.

Everything is jerky though. Is this the internet download speed that is causing the problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks once again.

I did it with Putty.

Everything is jerky though. Is this the internet download speed that is causing the problem?

are you saying you are now watching content from the humax via your pc?
    internet speeds won't have any bearing on the playback over your network.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I am watching HDR files on the PC, but it's very jerky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I am watching HDR files on the PC, but it's very jerky.

Few questions :
    - What program are you using to watch the recordings ?
    - What is the PC spec (CPU speed) ?
    - How are the PC and HDR connected (ethernet to same router ? or is there wifi involved)
    - Are you watching using a mapped drive ?
    - Are the recordings standard def ?

I didn't get wifi to work too well.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Swedish cook

I am using VLC player

I was attempting to watch an old Norman Wisdom film that I had recorded just after he died, so it's in B/W and not HD.

Processor speed is 2.6ghz 2gig ram.
    The HDR is connected to my o2 router by ethernet cable and then transmitted by WIFI to the PC (30ft).

Sorry, I dont know what a mapped drive is.

I make my own .m2ts films and have no problem watching them on the PC.

What should I be doing, if anything, with twonky and samba. I dont fully understand this bit

Thanks again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Swedish cook

I am using VLC player

Not entirely sure here, but I can't stream to VLC player on my netbook but I can to my main PC so I'm guessing it's down to processing power and hardware. I've tried splash lite player and again streaming is futile although both work flawlessly playing files located on the local machine.

My best advise would be to get yourself a copy of XBMC and install it on your PC. It runs an absolute dream even on my netbook.
    What should I be doing, if anything, with twonky and samba. I dont fully understand this bit

Thanks again

If you use the XBMC as suggested you can open up a network route that directs the player to the video folder on the humax, this is where samba comes in as it enables this routing by making it visible across the home network.

just to add, I too have the humax wired and my PC/netbook wireless. I'm sure this is not a disadvantage over a totaly wired setup
    Forum Member
    Thank you GC

I downloaded XBMC, but I cant make it find the HDR. At the risk of sounding a real thicko. could you give me some idea how to do that. I can usually fathom my way through software, but I cant get this to work.

Any help appreciated
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any help appreciated

Open XBMC > select videos > add source > browse > UPnP devices > Humax Foxsat HDR > rootvideo > folder:

click ok for the next 3 screens.

you should now see a list with humax in. click once and the directory will open with all your recordings. Click the .. button to move back through directory.
    Forum Member
    I did all that as far as "root video" then there were no options for "folder"

I managed to load an item from "mydocs" and that worked, so I think the program is not seeing the HDR directories. Maybe there is something I am not doing. Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did all that as far as "root video" then there were no options for "folder"

what options were available after rootvideo? was there an allvideos option?

folders should be there if you've made series linked recordings, if all your recordings on the humax are just one offs then you would only have the allvideos option I believe
    Forum Member
    There are no folders at all, just "OK" and "cancel". I can see the folders in "my networks" though. So they are there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok try the above method and go as far as rootvideo and then click ok to confirm as above this should still create a directory path but it just won't drill down as far as it ideally should. Once this is done try the path and see if it will then let you advance further down it.

I'm not holding out much hope but it wouldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work then you can delete the source route by right clicking on it
    Forum Member
    No, nothing at all. I must be missing something basic in the setup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could try configuring twonkymedia

type http://192.168.0.4:9000/config into your web broswer.. note colon before 9000
    * use your own humax web address.
    click on sharing
    under contentdir: make sure the tick boxes are selected
    You should see
    /media/Video
    /media/Music
    /media/Photo in their relevent text boxes

under scantime type 10 and then at the top of the page click rescandirs.
    Then click save changes

now return to XBMC and see if you can progress further than rootvideo
    good luck;)
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for all your help.

I can now see the directories and download files, but it keeps buffer loading. Am I correct in believing that this is down to my equipment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I correct in believing that this is down to my equipment?
    Processor speed is 2.6ghz 2gig ram.
    The HDR is connected to my o2 router by ethernet cable and then transmitted by WIFI to the PC (30ft).

As I mentioned previously I too have the Humax hardwired and the PC/Netbook wireless. My netbook (1.6Ghz 1GB ram) is only 10ft away from my router and I've not noticed any buffering using XBMC nor on my PC which is currently upstairs with a noticable degradation (say 25%) in signal strength due to the distance, though not as far as yours. I've managed to get VLC player streaming on the PC but there are signs of struggling to stream without dropping frames. At a guess the distance covered by the wireless section of your network may well be its downfall. Can you try some way of using an ethernet connection or homeplugs to eliminate this possible week link?