Options

We need to talk about Dad

2»

Comments

• Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was gripping but it felt watching it was wrong on many levels, like a family was washing its dirty (or in this case, blood soaked) laundry in public. This was a family who needed profesional help years ago yet was this ever mentioned as something they'd tried? They certainly seemed wealthy enough to afford a battery of pyschiatrists, therapists etc. That Henry was a budding musician keen to promote his music through the exposure the documentary provided really made my cynical to be honest. The most telling thing for me was how the family was described as the perfect 'Sunday supplement family'...which was the root of the problem. We're bombarded with advertising propaganda about the perfect lives we should be living yet clealry it just makes us miserable, resentful and angry...in this case exploding into murderous rage.
  • Options
    mouthalmightymouthalmighty Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachie wrote: »
    Joan Bakewell?

Yes! Not 100% sure it was her though. I still can't find the programme with a Google search.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Just caught this on 4OD.
    And I add to the sentiments of others on here, VERY odd.
    Poor, poor Henry he seems so lost and confused, and his family of little help.
    It seems they all have their own little crux, Heny and DAd are nicotine addicts and Henry & Mum loving the old red wine. I suppose it must be a terribly stressful environment.
    I would have loved more backround on the event. Their reactions to it are very strange.
    I know the mother was through an awful lot, but cannot understand how she let the Dad move back in and I also cannot understand how Felix is so carefree about the fact that his Dad hit his mum over the head with an axe. :eek:

I don't buy all the stuff about their lives being too perfect, loads of people have wonderful lives they don't crack under it like that, the fact that they kept referring to themselves as the Sunday times supplement family, sounded terrilby egotistical.

It felt very invasive watching this programme, though I wish all the best to Henry, he really needs to get far, far away from them all and live his own life. I find it so sad that he worries he will have such an episode himself in the future, the parents are really doing him a disservice by trying to sweep it all under the carpet, it's making him quite a damaged little soul. :(
  • Options
    CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echo what's been said here, found this programme wierd and 'incomplete', as for their so called perfect lives.....Erm yeah right, :rolleyes: that's what they think, I thought apart from Henry that the other three were I don't know the best phrase to describe it but 'emotionally deadened, stick your head in the sand' is as close as I can think of to describe them. Felt for Henry, with such people for family he's not going to get the open discussion he's looking for, just leave them be and get on with your life.

The dad's reaction of 'rolling his eyes' said it all for me, the man couldn't care less. Psychotic episode? Not convinced, well whoever he's with now I hope she takes that into account just imagine if it happens again...
  • Options
    SamBonjelaSamBonjela Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    ugh, so much wrong with that situation. I agree all the comments here. I think the dad is a psychopath - and that both parents have lied to Henry. If the dad had a brief psychotic breakdown, he wouldnt have gone to prison, given that diagnosis he would have gone to a secure psychiatric unit.
    the dad talks about his pent up rage over the suicide of his sister and blaming his dad - how can he not relate that to his sons experience - how much worse must the sons rage be for having witnessed the mess that his dad made of his mum, and the full unvarnished knowledge that he actually tried to murder her. why is no one allowing the son to express that - how can the brother not even show the slightest bit of anger or perturbance when hearing about it?
    why is the father so unrepentant? the mom said when he blindfolded her she laughed and said 'I'm cheating' - is it possible she was cheating on the marriage and this prompted the attack? maybe they had some deal to not mention what she had done to trigger the attack, and thats why no one can talk about it in a genuine and authentic way? so much more to this story than meets the eye, and as everyone has commented here, the best thing Henry can do is move away from that family who have been so cavalier about his feeling and wellbeing and build a life without them.
    the most poignant bit for me was when an isolated and unhappy henry shared something with his brother, and his brothers response was 'I'm alright' - he couldnt even SEE Henry :(