Options

Lettice - a bloody mess.

Comments

• Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Well I hope she was drunk! The performance was really ropey and being drunk is the best explanation I can think of for why someone of her obvious talent and training can perform so poorly.

I assume with your comments that you are an expert in violin playing?
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    Why...?

She puts herself out there and criticism is part of the game, you cannot expect everyone to like her or what she does. I certainly do not. As for being 'a breath of fresh air'....that's how the media described Fergie until the fresh air went rather rancid. It's a ridiculous expression.

It's fair to criticize her performance if you didn't enjoy it & yes as you say, she put herself out there but there's a huge difference to not liking someone's act & commenting on it than to knock someone for their physical appearance, which they can do nothing about.

You may think "a breath of fresh air" is a ridiculous expression, it doesn't mean it is. I found her attitude quite refreshing, expressing how much she enjoyed the violin, no sob stories etc but that doesn't mean I think everyone else should be of the same opinion & I wouldn't suggest other people's thoughts on a person were ridiculous, simply because they didn't agree with me.
  • Options
    achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just what the heck was she thinking. I gave my son a violin to play with when he was aged two and he made a better sound than that.

Legs like a front row forward. Teeth done by Rylan's dentist - obviously.

And drunk - obviously. A complete and utter mess. Amanda does not know what she is talking about, that much is certain. Simon got closest to the truth. It was awful.

^ This is amazing.

It's like one of those embarrassing Daily Mail comments coming to life!
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »
    ^ This is amazing.

Lol xx :D:D
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    achro wrote: »
    ^ This is amazing.

It is. This was posted on the DMs article about Lettice going through.
    Childish. Nothing to do with her talent.
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone whose grandson has been learning the violin for 7 years, I know how difficult it is to learn. I am not a fan of violin music but I thought Lettice was extremely good. Was she drunk though? Her behaviour was well over the top IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeanoj wrote: »
    As someone whose grandson has been learning the violin for 7 years, I know how difficult it is to learn. I am not a fan of violin music but I thought Lettice was extremely good. Was she drunk though? Her behaviour was well over the top IMO

She was not drunk. That is just her personality.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    She was incredible. I want her to be straight through, but it will probably be Bars and Melody instead >:( so the judges better put her through. The backing track was a bit too loud in the second part, it was tough to hear the violin at first, but she's a brilliant musician and performer, far and away the best of the night.

I agree I love her personality, a bit more swagger than the usual still life portrait player of an instrument. Lettuce made sophistication sexy:)
  • Options
    Arnold1Arnold1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looked drunk and it sounded bad.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just what the heck was she thinking. I gave my son a violin to play with when he was aged two and he made a better sound than that.

Legs like a front row forward. Teeth done by Rylan's dentist - obviously.

And drunk - obviously. A complete and utter mess. Amanda does not know what she is talking about, that much is certain. Simon got closest to the truth. It was awful.

There's so many insults in the above post instead of constructive criticism. Lettice's audition was great, but her second performance wasn't as entrancing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    She is a fantastic violinist but her taste in music is........well words fail me really. I am struggling to describe that assault on my ear drums.

I don't think the majority of the songs she plays are her genuine taste in music, she just does songs that are popular so she'll get votes. There was no need for her to play over those songs during the second half of her performance last night, carrying on the first part would've stood fine on its own. But maybe she didn't see it that way and didn't think it would translate well to BGT viewers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fair to criticize her performance if you didn't enjoy it & yes as you say, she put herself out there but there's a huge difference to not liking someone's act & commenting on it than to knock someone for their physical appearance, which they can do nothing about.

You may think "a breath of fresh air" is a ridiculous expression, it doesn't mean it is. I found her attitude quite refreshing, expressing how much she enjoyed the violin, no sob stories etc but that doesn't mean I think everyone else should be of the same opinion & I wouldn't suggest other people's thoughts on a person were ridiculous, simply because they didn't agree with me.

Me too. It's nice to see someone just enjoying it and having fun. Like Lucy she is good but she's a bit "poor me" which I don't like

I instantly went off Eva when she came out with the heart broken rubbish on stage.
  • Options
    kandinskikandinski Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Lettice dyed her hair red she could play a young Sarah Ferguson in "Sarah" the movie...
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was alright, my only complaint was that I could barely hear her playing in the second half of her performance, the background music was way too loud. Shame that. She got through anyway so I guess it's all moot at this point.

She didn't seem drunk to me, my daughter has a friend who's a bit odd like that and kinda high-strung, the type that you definitely know is in the room when she's around. :D
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her performance wasn't as fabulous as the judges seem to think, dreadful mash up of random music. However, I'm quite intregued to hear what she plays in the final and glad she got through compared to the other acts. She ain't no virtuoso concert violinist but to play light classical popular music and the odd pop arrangement she could make it....she certainly has a personality and can laugh at herself.....not a winner, but IMO entertaining.
  • Options
    longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she doesn't sing, she doesn't dance has a clear talent that is different from others on the show. Mad as a giggled up box of frogs, to be fair. I have a soft spot for the lass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    longpiggy wrote: »
    she doesn't sing, she doesn't dance has a clear talent that is different from others on the show. Mad as a giggled up box of frogs, to be fair. I have a soft spot for the lass.

I think you are one of many, including myself.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legs like a front row forward.

I want to be tackled by them, ding dong. Seriously rather her win than a couple of little pip squeaks.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Seriously rather her win than a couple of little pip squeaks.

But if, oh horror of horrors, those two unlikeable untalented overrated mumbling oiks do win, they will be forgotten long before the year is out. She, on the other hand has the talent and personality to be around, showcasing her talent for years to come.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    conchie wrote: »
    I agree !! I don't get the need to be so nasty.

I thought Lettice was marvellous. I think her look at her initial audition was great, but I have to admit I did not like the styling, clothes wise last night That said, that's not whats up for judgement and can be easily changed, its her talent thats up for comment.

She is wonderful, she has everything going for her and if managed right, she could have a super career ahead of her. Good luck to her. Unfortunately I don't think she will win the show overall, that is going to be a two horse race now, between the two young boys and Collabro, can't see anyone else in the picture for the win now.
    There are always some who come on here just to knock people for the sake of it. A bit sad really.

I think lettice beat the OP in a contest at school or something!!!! Is the only explanation for the vitriol aimed at her!!

I thought she was great personally.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She seems like a lovely girl, but she needs to calm down a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    No, no, no, away with you varlet! Posh and nutsy Oink! Oink! Huzzah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »

In seriousness though, her personality makes it for me. Hate run of the mill cookie cutter performers. Just my op though.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wrong - there is plenty in the media about her drinking - apparently she has vowed to kick the habit.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/britains-talent-lettice-rowbotham-kicks-3621201
    That said I'm sure it was mostly her that we were seeing.
    Best party guest or the guest from hell depending on your point of view :D
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Very nasty, unpleasant thread

They're very common in this section. :(