Options

Cerazette

samcheesesamcheese Posts: 1,830
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just got my first lot of Cerazette pills from my GP. I've never ever been on any pill before, but have had to start trying a pill, because of period problems.

My periods are actually fine, only last 3 days, regular and light. But the symptoms that come with it knock me out for a day. I get migraines, nausea, sickness and horrible pains, and am usually off sick one day a month (luckily I have an understanding boss!)

I just wanted to hear other people's experiences with Cerazette. The thought of messing around with my hormones scares me so much! And any side effects it may have.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Ok... firstly a caveat to my post.. different pills, different people, different side effects, different outcomes. My experience is my experience and you might be ok on this pill but I'm just posting because I wish when I went on it I'd done some research and got peoples opinions.

I was put on Cerazette and suffered it for a year.. my previous pill had been Microgynon, but before going onto Cerazette I had had a long break... It was the worst thing ever.

For the first two months everything was ok. It didn't really change my periods and I felt fairly fine on it. I went back to the doctor and got prescribed a longer course.

Then the symptoms started.

First my skin. Oh boy... I have good skin. Even in my teens no acne. On this pill I got spots for the first time...and all the time.

Then the libido. Won't go into too much detail: suffice to say it plummeted.

Then the periods/bleeding. Oh my word. Some women have no periods. I had some form of bleeding (be it full on period or spotting) almost constantly for 10 months.

Then the weight gain. Went up a dress size in one month.

The worst thing though was the change in my mood. I can't begin to tell you how badly this affected me. I have never in my life suffered any kind of depression but on this pill I felt so low and my mood would swing so much that it actually worried my OH enough for him to suggest I should see a Doctor.

I did go to my Doctor about 6 months in but they said that I should give it a year as the symptoms could be temporary. They weren't and I have to say that they only got worse.

All I can say is it is a great contraceptive if its aim is to make you feel like cr*p so you don't want to and moody so even if you did want to no-one would want to come with in a mile of you anyway.

Came off it and back to normal! Mood fab, skin great, period normal, weight gone as quickly as it came etc etc etc.

My advice is...try it.. I know some people rave about it... but if you have any symptoms (particularly regarding your mood) get off it straight away sweetie.. don't persist with it, it won't get better..

Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on Microgynon for twenty years then my doctor suggested a change to Cerazette. I've now been on it for about three/four months and have had no problems at all. I certainly havent noticed any side effects. The best thing is I have never had a period since starting Cerazette. I hope you get on okay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll probably find that it may make your periods a bit better, mine are a lot lighter now, and while I still get period pain, it's nowhere near as bad as what it was.
  • Options
    samcheesesamcheese Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. Gonna see how it goes. Because I've never been on any form of pill, it's a big step, and I hope my body handles it well!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I have been on Mycrogynon for 10 years and three weeks ago I was put onto Cerazette due to the fact that my blood pressure has been too high over recent months for Mycrogynon.

Far too early at this stage to say if there are any side effects - none immediate in any event.

But I will be watching this post out of curosity - it has been quite nervewracking changing pill...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been on it for a year and no problems at all. My aunty flow stopped visiting but that makes life a little easier for me. Obviously it can make you think 'what if I'm pregnant?' but if you take your pill every day at the same time (without sickness or diarrohea) then you're safe.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem I had was the spots! Oh my life! They weren't little pimples but great big orrible painful ones that looked horrendous!

I was in a new relationship too and this was not what I needed!

I'm now out of a relationship (suprisingly not because of the spots) and I went back to using nothing and now my skin is ok.

I read up loads before I started using it, and loads of people said about spots.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs C was on Microgynon for some time after having a coil removed (had grief with that too), and it was the cause of a number of problems including loss of sex drive, mood swings, stomach pains and headaches (all month), and extremely heavy periods that went on for two to three weeks sometimes.

At the start of this year, the doctor put her on Cerazette, and she has not looked back since. Within a matter of a couple of weeks most of her issues disappeared, and she hasn't had a period since she started taking it - its been the ideal thing for her.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand cerazette, constant spotting...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As another poster has already said everyone reacts differently to each contraception.

My friend is on Cerazette due to high risk of blood clot. She had a settling in period where she was bleeding irregularly but now she hasnt looked back

Give your body time to get used to this pill but if you feel its not suiting you then go back and they can maybe try you on something else