Options

Black Pudding

Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For those who like black pudding (i love it!)

Do you prefer the one that is fine or the course one with obvious lumps of white fat. For me it has to be the latter!!

Comments

• Options
    katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fine sort especially if it goes all crumbly when you fry it. i hate the rubbery type
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both but i do like the cheap chubb one you get in supermarkets. Hope you know which i mean. You get polony too.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefere the coarse type. Occasionally oop north I've had varieties with mint in - which I didn't like.
    Back in the '90s I recall making a special trip over to Belper as a butcher there had won medals for his black pudding. Again I wasn't impressed - had rather a lot of cloves or cinnamon in. Think I prefer mine plain and simple:D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like it. :o
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. In a butty. Any sort.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the simple, traditional chunky version. Nothing fancy, just cooked till it's a bit crispy and in a butty with some tomatoes :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind either, didnt like the version I had in Uruguay/Argentina once though, it was like clotting blood, had the consistency of pouring custard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewwwww! :(
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean by a 'fine' one......I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't have lumps of fat in it

The only ones I see down here in London are the ones that Sainsbury sell.....the four slices in a pack.

I like it.........makes a great butty with either mustard or ketchup
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Ooh, yes!

I like the chunky black pudding with bacon, beans and mushrooms!

Ah, I could just eat a piece right now!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the fine or coarse as long as it has a good taste.

I don't like the superfine ones though which are like a set puree or pate.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Coarse, cut from the sausage as you want to cook it is best. Shallow fried is best, but grilled or in the oven is OK. OK with brown sauce, red or mustard just doesn't work.

Sometimes nice with scallops, but best on its own, in a fry up or in a butty.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the course one with lumps of fat but I can't seem to find a decent one/ Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the course one with lumps of fat but I can't seem to find a decent one/ Any recommendations?
    Go back to the 1970s and visit Tommy Cowell the butcher on the Barnes roundabout in Sunderland. The ones he made sound right up your street.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I find the Bury Black Pudding Company ones that they sell at Sainsbury are ok......you get 4 slices in a pack so it's not the same as buying a whole pudding but it's what I can get down here in that there London

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/medias/sys_master/h84/h01/8845497860126.jpg

the same company do sell whole puddings but I've never seen them in London....

http://www.thisismanufacturing.co.uk/sites/bmit/images/nodes/max/ring-pack-shot-jpeg.jpg

(if you're up north have a day trip to Bury Market and stock up at Chadwick's)

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/86/63/866324_878544e7.jpg
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Well, I think I prefer the coarse stuff - but the fine stuff is also good - as you can crumble it for cooking into things.
  • Options
    SomecatsSomecats Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    A fat, coarse one, smashed into a buttered barm, with a fried egg on top.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I like the chunky one from Aldi that comes as 5 large slices for 75p. Not keen on the small sausage-style one from Lidl you slice yourself.

Galtee's black and white puddings are nice. They used to do both in Morrisons, but now they only do white pudding, and sell their own-brand pre-sliced black pudding instead. To be fair, it's nice but more than 75p.

Proper white pudding in a curly tube is also lovely, though I don't see it in shops anymore.

I love a soda farl, made into a toasted sandwich with black pudding, fried tomato and an egg. And bacon, if you reckon you can fit it in the farl without it all sliding out when you take the first bite.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be Stornoway black pudding, they make it with fresh blood rather than dried, and it tastes a lot better than usual supermarket stuff.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, yes!

I like the chunky black pudding with bacon, beans and mushrooms!

Ah, I could just eat a piece right now!

Me too!!:D
  • Options
    Southern PrideSouthern Pride Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Any as long as it isn't stodgy! Just been over to Lanzarote and had an Irish brekkie which had white pudding as well as black pudding in it. It was lush and tasted like sausage!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clonakilty black and white pudding is beaut.

http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/where-to-buy/united-kingdom
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, especially in a good English breakfast, although if you eat out it is getting hard to find places that include it as Wetherspoon's, Toby Carvery's and others don't any more. A few local independent places do though and when black pudding is done well it can be delicious.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local Asda has quite a large Polish section - I noticed this week that includes black pudding:) Not tried it yet, but soon I think.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love a bit of black pudding. When we were kids our dad took us to the local pub and sat us on the stool at the end of the bar with a panda pop. At the end of the bar was platter full of cubed cheddar cheese, chunks of cold black pudding and mini cheddars. That was usually our Sunday afternoon lunch!