Options

Dog Clippers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,058
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone recommend some good electric dog clippers?

I have a broken coated Parsons Russell Terrier and I generally trim her long hair down in the summer months as she gets very hot and quite smelly :D

I want some electric clippers that are strong and don't break after a couple of trims

I don't mind paying a bit more for quality if necessary but I don't want to pay a lot and end up with something that's no good

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had several wahl clippers which were reasonably priced but sadly died just after the one year warranty ran out then we invested in these Moser ones http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1309/moser-switchblade-variable-clippers/61cd53ee90ed6f71882125e15afd0ecd and have never looked back they are still going strong after 4 years. We have a fine haired yorkshire terrier though so I am not sure what a broken coated terrier would need ?
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would these clippers manage with the coat of a Cocker Spaniel because the clippers I bought from Pets at Home clog up after a few seconds and don't seem to have enough power?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have only ever clipped our silky yorkie and he has quite thin coat as he is on steroids and has allergies making his skin thin. These clippers do a great job on him and don't clog with his hair (wahl ones did clog quite often). I can't put hand on heart and recommend them as I have never used them on any other coats, but they are much more powerful than the wahl ones and have not broken or needed sharpening in the time we have had them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    We have had several wahl clippers which were reasonably priced but sadly died just after the one year warranty ran out then we invested in these Moser ones http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1309/moser-switchblade-variable-clippers/61cd53ee90ed6f71882125e15afd0ecd and have never looked back they are still going strong after 4 years. We have a fine haired yorkshire terrier though so I am not sure what a broken coated terrier would need ?

Thank you for the recommendation Mollliepops :)

They sound like good clippers. My dogs coat is thicker than a fine haired yorkies but it isn't incredibly wiry so they may be suitable.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a cordless Wahl for light trims and an Oster A5 for full grooms. Suits us with a Glen of Imaal Terrier and a couple of Cresties.

With a Jack I might try a stripping comb rather than a clipper. Will get out any dead hair and still leave it looking natural.

ETA: MrsRobinson - the Oster A5 will cope with a Cocker. Doubt the cordless Wahl would tbh.