Options

"Too rich"

malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
Forum Member
I hate the phrase "Too rich" when it comes to food.

Those people who say to you "You only want a small bit of that because its so rich". I think there must be something wrong with me as I never find anything too rich. Things like a really dark chocolate torte? Some people just ask for a small slice and find it too much. I would eat the whole thing and still not feel like it was too rich to eat anymore.

Whole tubs of luxury ice cream? Yep, down in one sitting.

What things can you eat unlimited amounts of that other people say are "too rich" to have more than just a little bit?

Comments

• Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a lot of dishes too rich. Mostly when they are loaded with cream. If you can eat a whole chocolate torte then i'm happy for you. I'd prefer to live a few years longer thanks!:)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I usually find it with dark sauces. If you have a little on the plate then have a touch of it with your mouthfull of beef/duck etc. it tastes great. If you have a plate swimming in it it can be overpowering and ruin the meal. I could be said that it's too rich but only if you have too much of it.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »

Those people who say to you "You only want a small bit of that because its so rich". I think there must be something wrong with me as I never find anything too rich. Things like a really dark chocolate torte? Some people just ask for a small slice and find it too much. I would eat the whole thing and still not feel like it was too rich to eat anymore.

What things can you eat unlimited amounts of that other people say are "too rich" to have more than just a little bit?

I sort of agree, although I did have a bitter chocolate tart the other week that I probably couldn't have eaten too much of.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find roast pork too rich. Makes me feel a bit sick afterwards.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go to a pub near my home for dinner quite often, but their sauces could be described as too rich. They were fine at the beginning, but no matter what you ordered it came with a red wine sauce, and gawd knows what they shoved in it, but after the 4th mouthful you started to feel it repeating. It put me off, and I haven't been back since.

I like rich chocolate puds though.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chicken is too rich for me, as is garlic
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a lot of sauces too rich, I,d be ill if I ate a dark chocolate torte, I have ibs so my stomach is terrible with rich foods
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member

Pretty much anything. Same with 'too sweet' :D

My favourite would be Nutella. I could eat this on its own for every meal. I've pretty much had to stop buying it as I have zero will power and usually finish a jar in two days :o
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I get it when someone is talking about a dish jam-packed with cream and butter etc but people describe the funniest things as 'too rich' sometimes eg a digestive biscuit.

I like rich food anyway :o. Just watch an old Two Fat Ladies episode if you want richness in abundance:

"More cream dear, about a pint"
  • Options
    Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can eat large amounts of spaghetti carbonara which some people say is too rich because of the high cream content. Not too rich for me though!:D
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I am similar to the OP. I don't get the 'too rich' thing. Bring it on is what I say.

I find a lot of dishes too rich. Mostly when they are loaded with cream. If you can eat a whole chocolate torte then i'm happy for you. I'd prefer to live a few years longer thanks!:)

It is Chocolate Torte, not Cyanide Torte...
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I can't eat/digest oily, fatty foods or foods too sweet.

Give me plain, mash, salads, fruit anyway with fresh herbs & spices ( where necessary.)
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I can't eat/digest oily, fatty foods or foods too sweet.

Give me plain, mash, salads, fruit anyday with fresh herbs & spices ( where necessary.)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It could be that they have a sensitive stomach and that something in the rich food causes problems for them. I can have almost anything and my stomach's fine. I don't think I'd ever sit and eat a whole tub of ice cream though, unless it was a 1 litre tub. I could eat a whole jar of silver skin onions though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chicken is too rich for me, as is garlic

Chicken is rich? Really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can eat large amounts of spaghetti carbonara which some people say is too rich because of the high cream content. Not too rich for me though!:D

Proper Carbonara shouldn't have cream in it.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I could eat a whole jar of silver skin onions though.

Oh my ..... I bet you are fun to be around after that :p

I could eat tonnes of ice cream in one hit too. I have to admit that im not into 'posh' ice cream. Give me a Mr. Whippy or a Mint Vienetta and im anyones.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    miaow wrote: »
    Pretty much anything. Same with 'too sweet' :D

My favourite would be Nutella. I could eat this on its own for every meal. I've pretty much had to stop buying it as I have zero will power and usually finish a jar in two days :o

I'm like that with smooth peanut butter, either Sunpat or Skippy brand - I can polish off a jar in about 2 days!!
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Proper Carbonara shouldn't have cream in it.

Is it just eggs then? I never knew that :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Is it just eggs then? I never knew that :o

Yep. Although lots of recipes have it in so it's up to you.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Oh my ..... I bet you are fun to be around after that :p

I could eat tonnes of ice cream in one hit too. I have to admit that im not into 'posh' ice cream. Give me a Mr. Whippy or a Mint Vienetta and im anyones.

Thats my kind of ice cream too