Options

Selling contract phone purchased from mobiles.co.uk

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I recieved a HTC Incredible S just over a month ago from mobiles.co.uk as an upgrade. I have become very dissatisfied with it and put it on Amazon yesterday for sale.

I have received emails from a couple of people who have expressed their interest. If I was to sell the handset to one of those people, would CPW provide me with a copy of the documentation they sent me with the phone, but with the new buyer's name and address on it.? I just don't want to pass on a receipt/proof of purchase with my personal details on it.

Comments

• Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they would not.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    A receipt from Carphone Warehouse will be no use to them anyway. If you are selling something (and they want a receipt) you'll have to provide a receipt yourself.
    They are going to have to know your name and address anyway.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CPW's relationship and obligations are with you only. When you sell the phone, the relationship between you and the buyer is separate.

Usually buyers buy these things on a caveat emptor basis: they know they are taking a risk, no shop they can go to. The reason they are buying it from you is it's cheaper than the shop precisely because it has no guarantee in the same way.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never buy a 2nd hand phone without an original receipt.
    Anyone buying a nearly new items expects to receive it.

Just write on the original receipt who you sold it to and their address.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Alan, its pointless getting the original receipt as all it proves is that the buyer purchased it. It offers no protection to the new owner at all, you would rely on the goodwill of the original retailer.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is required by law to fulfil a warranty with the only requirement being proof of purchase.

If you have been otherwise you may have been suckered.
    And with your argument if someone buys a friend a phone they would not have no warranty!
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It is required by law to fulfil a warranty with the only requirement being proof of purchase.

If you have been otherwise you may have been suckered.
    And with your argument if someone buys a friend a phone they would not have no warranty!

Yes, warranties are usually not transferable and only provided to the original purchaser of an item. In unusual cases, a warranty will specifically provide for it to be transferable but otherwise assume it is not.

The 2nd buyer of the phone only has recourse in law to the seller they bought it from (i.e. the original pruchaser).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a device however they should be able to get the shop that they take the device too to check the imei number to see if the device is still in warranty, i have never required proof of purchase to get a device fixed.