60 cm dish with 13e,28.2 ?

Noriga_PcNoriga_Pc Posts: 10
Forum Member
Hi
I am new to digitalspy, I got here by searching for satellite installation tips in UK.

I will probably need to replace my freshly installed 80cm dish pointing to 13e and 28.2 with a smaller one as being solicited from a neighbour reminding me that the building I leave in is in a conservation area. I have read through some documents I found available from my local council website and it's not really clear on what are my limitations apart from mentioning that Satellite antennae must not be mounted on street elevations or front roof slopes. Okay

I have inquired within the council and I am expecting to be contacted in the next few days to discuss the situation. For the time being I just received a letter saying "We give you Landlord permission on the condition that it does not exempt from the requirement within our conditions. (Which should be the ones above - Street elevation bla bla...)

I know this is not a legal advise website but I have a question before the actual technical question I had in mind about downsizing the dish;

I expect the council to be possibly strict and to advise me that only a certain size of dishes are allowed, probably about the ones provided by Sky. I am only assuming this although I will ask them if I can stretch of a 20cm in diameter to hope that I can still receive decently from Hotbird and get Italian channels.

If say, they tell me I am not allowed, would it be worth mentioning them that there at least 20 other dishes of the same size hanging outside other flats in the same conservation area? Would it not be unfair for them to not allowing me to have something because of a regulation that they obviously not even enforcing? The other dishes I am referring to are definitely been there for years and the number has grown other then decrease.

The neighbour making the complaint is even convinced that I should not even be using a regular sky dish after he had mine broke down by some builders he contracted for external works outside our building. So the clever neighbour instead of even try to apologize and ask whether he could help in fixing the dish, he instead comments out of my new dish as something being unacceptable because of the conservation business.

Do you think is for me the case to object on council decision to adhere with a rule that no one seem to follow and the council themselves are not controlling?
Going to the technical bit of this issue, If I end up using a 60cm dish, is there any chance I could still use a multiple LNB setup like I have now for Hotbird13e and Astra 28.2? Would this be large enough to at least work with one single LNB pointed to 13E?

Thanks for your attention and any help.

Comments

• jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 60 cm should work fine solely on 13 east giving that the signals are a lot stronger than they used to be ( I have used a 80 cm for years with no problems or complaints), to be honest it sounds like to me that your neighbour is a old fashioned fuddy duddy type who has nothing better to do than moan and complain about things, since you have already contacted the council and they have told you what the restrictions are, I can't see why you need to remove your 80 cm dish because of a old fart who's probably jealous and has restricted himself to Freeview Lite.
  • pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noriga_Pc wrote: »
    I will probably need to replace my freshly installed 80cm dish pointing to 13e and 28.2 with a smaller one as being solicited from a neighbour reminding me that the building I leave in is in a conservation area. I have read through some documents I found available from my local council website and it's not really clear on what are my limitations apart from mentioning that Satellite antennae must not be mounted on street elevations or front roof slopes. Okay

I have inquired within the council ......."We give you Landlord permission on the condition that it does not exempt from the requirement within our conditions. (Which should be the ones above - Street elevation bla bla...)

I know this is not a legal advise website ..

no it isn't but you can still get good/ sensible legal advice here

Reread the fine print regarding

...............must not be mounted on street elevations or front roof slopes.

..............as it's a conversation area -

that's the key legal point

so don't

otherwise you should find you can have 2 dishes - one up to 1m & one up to 60cm [on the reflector excluding any raised area & supporting rim] providing they are , .... not mounted on street elevations or front roof slopes.

I've just surveyed one similar - it too is in a conservation area & I can see why - & it's the same - not to be mounted on street elevations or front roof slopes.....

usually this means installing on a rear north facing wall with a long pole & brackets to clear the roof/ chimneys for the satellite's elevation- [certain rules apply regarding actually going above a main roof's ridge).

you may need to correct the neighbour as to what's what but best avoid a confrontational stance & rather just point out the facts of the matter & you are complying

a zone 2 sky dish with a custom lnb bracket will do what you want for the most part ...edit - there are some tps on 13e that need a larger dish -typically dvb-s2 / 8psk & higher unforgiving fecs - you may need 80 for some of those - depends on location too of course
  • Noriga_PcNoriga_Pc Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply. I have to say that I am infact still confused as what exactly is the meaning of "Street elevation". Is that simply the front of the building facing the street?
    Do you think that considering that there are more dishes of that size in the conservated neighbourhood, should that make me complain to them of acting unfairly since they have a regulation not being enforced?
    Forum Member
    The way you described this person reflects very much the attitude shown after seeing the new dish hanging outside my window.

What really surpsised me was the total absence of intererst or any feelings shown on the fact that their contractors destroyed my dish. I could have have litterally taken legal action but I did not as I thought it wasn't a big deal and plus I wanted to go for the upgraded dish anyway and then you see I get paid back by being told off for fixing the dish on my own.

I was hoping by the way that with a 60cm dish I could get someting out of 13E like you advised, probably not HD Channels but will need to try hoping to come with an agreement with the council whether 60cm should be allowed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I have to say that I am infact still confused as what exactly is the meaning of "Street elevation". ....?

The essence of what they are after is that it's not seen from the front - I'd just install it to comply with that so that means almost certainly on the rear / maybe a longer pole to look over the roof

As for other dishes installed on the front in the conservation area - they can be ordered to remove them - planning officers are usually very busy though & sometimes it's only when someone complains do they address an issue. In some circumstances if something has been installed/ built etc.. over a certain time it maybe deemed it's been there too long or in other circumstances they can even allow & use post planning applications etc.. planning etc.. is not all set in stone but I'd expect it being a special conservation area will mean they could be heavy handed.

put it on the back

better still...... stick a 1m on a motor on the back:) [unless there is a special restriction on dish size which you haven't conveyed]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the neighbour being awkward? or just advisory, Council Officers have dishes as low priority, here in Wrexham 110 Triax hang everywhere,I have found it is only a complaint
    usually informal to the Council that usually sparks a problem, then at its worst you will be given 28 days to resolve the problem.
    Try and hide the dish or get it coloured etc away from prying eyes.
    A formal complaint must be signed by the complainer, whose name will then be available to you, you might let this out to your neighbour, its to stop vexatious complaints.
    Different Councils have different policies, but in conservation areas dishes are low down the list, unless painted pink against a white wall.A planning application now costs around £450, is it worth it for a dish.

Hope this helps
    Forum Member
    Thanks Janet, Do you think I will still need a planning application considering I already had a dish here for a number of years anyway?
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need planning permission if the dish is not visible from the road. If it IS visible then permission will almost certainly be refused.

In specific circumstances, permission might be granted if the dish were small, camouflaged and tucked away so it's visible from the road but barely noticeable.
    See http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SDOEYJS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Janet, Do you think I will still need a planning application considering I already had a dish here for a number of years anyway?

Well a planning application goes before the Council planning Committee, usually but not always planning officers recommendation are taken.

Personally hide the dish so its not visible,think of a transparent model, or get one painted to blend in with the property.
    Applying for planning permission opens cans of worms,however you could ask a local planning officer what the situation is for free.

But do remind your neighbour or whoever a formal planning complaint requires a name & address, this will be pointed out to complainants and you have a right to see who complained, but dishes are low down on the list, so long as they are reasonable sized. The worst that can happen is you will be given 28 days to remove it.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for everyone response, in the meantime I did some deep diving of my area (the conservation one) and I even spotted a couple of dishes located quiet close to each other which are at least 1 metre in diamerter if not more and even in bright white colour.

Nothing has happened so far but in the case the complaint gets any further, can I use the law to say why should I get compliant with a regulation that my council is obviously not even enforcing? These two large dishes I just mentioned are the biggest one I have seen in the all conservation area followed by a dozen of those of same size I have (80cm) and then another dozen or more of (50-65cm) and the rest (which is litterally everyone else) has a Sky MiniDish same as the one I had for years before my complaining neingbour's contractors destroied when working outside the premises.
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Does cost of planning applications changes from council to council, I am not certain but my local council does not seem to charge for those made for satellite dishes.
    Forum Member
    Hi Janet
    I eventually received the 28 days notice but I wish to appeal for the mere reason that I had a sky dish installed here before the larger one being installed and beside me there are about 350 visible satellite dishes of all sizes in the all conservation area.
    Do you have any advise on how I could proceede? I have tried to contact the planning department back but they dont even respond to the phone, they get messages from switchboards saying I will be contacted back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's the wording - can you just move it to a more acceptable location