Options

''Just William'' - BBC One today.

124»

Comments

• Options
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Just watched todays- I have loved this series- the attention to detail in the sets and costumes is wonderful, and although he really irritates me in Outnumbered, the boy actor who plays William is great. Alos love the extended role given to his family who are much more fleshed out here than even in the books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I have just watched the last episode and it was a good series shame it wasnt a bit longer
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hobbes wrote: »
    Just watched todays- I have loved this series- the attention to detail in the sets and costumes is wonderful, and although he really irritates me in Outnumbered, the boy actor who plays William is great.
    I agree with you. His character in Outnumbered is very irritating and, to me at least, has no redeeming features, and so he makes us feel sorry for the parents.

However in William he can make us sympathise with William even when he is up to no good. I hope that Andy Hamilton is watching this and gives his character some redeeming aspects in the next series of Outnumbered. It will help the show if he can.
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful programme, absoloutly programme.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Great end to this all to short series, has to be more episodes.
    :cool:
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I agree with you. His character in Outnumbered is very irritating and, to me at least, has no redeeming features, and so he makes us feel sorry for the parents.

However in William he can make us sympathise with William even when he is up to no good. I hope that Andy Hamilton is watching this and gives his character some redeeming aspects in the next series of Outnumbered. It will help the show if he can.
    Is there going to be another Outnumbered? I miss it so much. I liked Ben and Karen initially but as they get older they do just get very annoying sadly! They both just seemed to get nasty instead of cute!
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Is there going to be another Outnumbered? I miss it so much. I liked Ben and Karen initially but as they get older they do just get very annoying sadly! They both just seemed to get nasty instead of cute!
    They Ben actor said on Radio Five Live that one more series is planned to film next year, but he does not know after that.

Perhaps now the oldest one is getting more awkward as a teenager, they can make the younger too a bit more sympathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Ben in Outnumbered, he's my favourite. But then I used to work with little boys with behavioural problems and autism!
  • Options
    LanceWilkinsLanceWilkins Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Very enjoyable mini-series.

Nice touch to have Martin Jarvis' voice-over.

:)
  • Options
    beecherbeecher Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I loved it too and just discovered that Robert was played by the actor who is Dudley Dursley in the HP films - wow! Would never have recognised him.
  • Options
    Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never have any sympathy with people who complain about missing things because they're moved around the schedules, I'm afraid. Read the listings, and you'll know when it's on. Only when the time is changed from what appears on the listings do I feel there's any cause for complaint.

Reading the lstings doesn't always help. I get the Radio Times each week and since they changed the layout a few months ago it is well nigh impossible to see what is on during the day. All daily schedules for five channels are squashed into one column and it is difficult to fathom them out so usually I don't even bother to look. I caught Just William quite by chance and to me it was the best programme on all over Christmas and New Year.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat13 wrote: »
    Reading the lstings doesn't always help. I get the Radio Times each week and since they changed the layout a few months ago it is well nigh impossible to see what is on during the day. All daily schedules for five channels are squashed into one column and it is difficult to fathom them out so usually I don't even bother to look. I caught Just William quite by chance and to me it was the best programme on all over Christmas and New Year.

rubbish layout isnt it? i only purchase the Radio Times once a year why have they changed it!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this series was really lovely - can't wait for some more. They'd better make another series!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I thoroughly enjoyed the four (catching up on i-player for one I missed)
    Yes- set in 1930's - but 1950's seemed just right. Far enough back but not too far.
    Any one any idea which books the stories came from, if any?
    I thought both girls did very well - very convincing. But Dorinda as a name in 1950s?
    My only complaint was too many girls!! For a boy that hates them. Maybe put in to keep female viewers happy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    With a bit of Googling - I can part answer my own question!
    There were 38 books published between 1922 and 1970.

Some of the stories in this TV series I think were from

Still William - 1925
    The Sweet Little Girl in White and
    A Bit of Blackmail - (William saves the gardener's job)

William the Pirate - 1932
    William Holds the Stage - (including 'Dorinda'!)

I can't trace the two parrots story - any offers?
    (Ref: http://justwilliamnotes.blogspot.com/)
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with the BBC. They bring back an iconic series for 4 episodes. Four. Why four? The trouble it takes to recreate the 50s, surely it would be cheaper to film 12.
    Same with Upstairs Downstairs and Sherlock. 3 episodes. But week after week of Hole in the Wall, Wipeout and Loyd Webber promotes another west end musical. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Nice.

Some people are too busy to be chasing their favourite programmes around a newspaper/EPG every bloomin' day.

Once, shows used to stick to the same timeslot. Why can't they just do that now?

It doesn't really take that much time. And if you don't check the times, you will inevitably miss things you'd have wanted to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwscott wrote: »
    I have just watched the last episode and it was a good series shame it wasnt a bit longer

I'm hoping they'll make some more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat13 wrote: »

I hate the change in layout too. You can see what's on during the day - except for CBBC and CBeebies programmes which are often just shown as CBBC or CBeebies without individual programmes being identified (I've raised this with the editor by e-mail) - but the detail on the programmes is often very poor and the format isn't user friendly.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My youngest son and I watched this together and we both loved it. He loves Ben in outnumbered, and although there were a few elements of him in William's character, I think Daniel Roche is a good little actor.
    They got a really good cast together for Just William, imo. I hope they do more.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    What is wrong with the BBC. They bring back an iconic series for 4 episodes. Four. Why four? The trouble it takes to recreate the 50s, surely it would be cheaper to film 12.
    Same with Upstairs Downstairs and Sherlock. 3 episodes. But week after week of Hole in the Wall, Wipeout and Loyd Webber promotes another west end musical. Unbelievable.

I totally agree. See the thread I started:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1418121

I would have liked 6 or 12 of Just William
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was absolutely brilliant, best thing on TV over Christmas by quite some way. I loved the 50's period detail, so lovely. Reminded me at times of The Darling Buds of May, especially the Ethel character who was a bit like Mariette and Primrose Larkin.

So much care has been taken over this production, from the opening title to the set designs, the performances, the writing. Exquisite.

As for the Brown family home...I love it, I want it!

Bring on some more episodes, soon please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no kids in my household so I had no excuse to watch this, but I was curious because I do love Outnumbered... so I watched a bit on the iplayer, and thought it was very charming and sweet, and beautiful to look at, and the music was lovely and... then before I knew it I'd watched all 4 episodes!

I thought it was really well done, everyone was perfectly cast, and Daniel Roche is just brilliant.

It made me wish I lived in a world where kids still wore such smart little outfits :D
  • Options
    piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    "Parrots for Ethel" was from "William the Good", 1926. The caddish uncle did not feature in the original story. A very enjoyable mini-series, particularly for me as I was 11 in the 1950's: but why use stories that had already been done in 1976/77 by Adrian Dannatt and in any case originally had pre-war settings? Why didn't we see the genuine 1950 William, such as the one where he scoffed the headmistress's sultanas (on ration at the time), or he found a space animal, or when the Outlaws with Joan and the Hubert Laneites with Violet Elizabeth organised rival peace celebrations, which resulted in a huge fight involving all the children in the village?