Is Tulisa the new Cheryl?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
It seems to me the media always have to have one person fitting into a certain role. We had Cheryl Cole, famous for once being a singer, then famous for, well, being famous (stuff about her private life, paparazzi snaps in the trash mags all the time, etc). People more or less forgot she was once a singer and she became known as a 'celebrity'. The Cheryl thing was done to death, magazines saturated for years with photos every week, the tabloids too, appearing on TV shows, books written by her and so on (well, she didn't write them but she claims she did).

The UK seemed to be tiring of Cheryl in this role later on and needed someone knew. Cheryl was in her late-20's by then too. Who could the media promote to the level of the nation's sweetheart, media savvy, etc? Step forward Tulisa. She is 6 years younger than Cheryl (I think). Cheryl is now 30 which is old in the eyes of many. Tulisa is, I believe, 24. So Tulisa now has that crown which Cheryl once had and Cheryl is heard about less and less nowadays. These things go in cycles and just think there is some girl out there who might not be known at all, yet, who is like 17 or 19 years old today, and the baton will pass to her once the media are done with Tulisa, everyone is bored with Tulisa, and once Tulisa gets too old, and this girl will be super-famous. It's a funny world. Do people think Tulisa wears the crown as well as Cheryl did, or did you prefer Cheryl in that role?

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this showbizzzzzz?
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I just want Tulisa to go away. Forever.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Is this showbizzzzzz?
    I hope the mods move this thread soon. There's enough crap in GD already without gormless 'celeb' gossip :(
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Billy must be offline.

This threads been here for 6 minutes now.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I hope the mods move this thread soon. There's enough crap in GD already without gormless 'celeb' gossip :(

Showbiz, 20 threads of bitchfest against easy targets and 2 fine decent thoughtful threads.:D
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Biffa hits people Tulisa brokers drug deals bit of a difference surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is any justice in this world, Tulisa won't be releasing any more awful music for a good couple of years. Well unless HMP service has installed recording studios...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Tulisa apparently wanted to be a singer more than anything else, and she buddied-up with her cousin and their friend and formed N-Dubz. They credited her cousin Dappy's dad with helping them along the way and after he died they recorded a song about him. I imagine they anticipated the band to go on for many years. But when the TV panel shows and trash mags come knocking and offer people deals to appear, then the singing career gets forgotten and Tulisa then elevates herself up to the level of celebrity rather than star. Someone who is famous for being famous, rather than famous for having a career she is known for (singing, acting, writing, or whatever). I think it is because of the media's focus on Tulisa now than Cheryl has kind of disappeared. They both occupied/occupy the same role in society.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfft

tulisa is FAR MORE ANNOYING
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Given the overwhelming importance of this situation to the well-being of the nation as a whole I was going to type out a rather long-winded reply outlining the pros and cons of each point. However, it's pretty warm here and I have mead to quaff, so I'll just answer this most intellectual of queries with a short and simple video response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w
    Forum Member
    In answer to my OP, I would say Tulisa IS the new Cheryl. I wonder if Cheryl ever considers that her waning popularity is down to someone else, Tulisa, stealing her crown.

I've always thought Cheryl is very pretty, but she is very skinny. Quite a nice bum, but the rest of her is very lean. Tulisa on the other hand has a really nice shape, curves in all the right places and an amazingly toned stomach! Wow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you mean two talentlesss, here today gone tomorrow, non-entities, yes.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl is lovely....
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tulisa has ruined her chances, to be honest. But then it seemed Cheryl might have too after her assault case, yet her career not only survived but grew and prospered.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tulisa makes Cheryl look quite classy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same. :(
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tulisa's a good looking lass but unfortunately, she's now caught the 'I have decided to go on a diet because I think I'm too weighty' trend. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her before. Tulisa was nice and curvy before. I think she's very close to Cheryl in terms of looks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OMG me too!!!!
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    One Cheryl is more than enough, and one Tulisa is too many.
    Forum Member
    Someone mentioned Cheryl's Court Case, when she beat up that woman in the toilets in a nightclub. She got a light sentence but had she have been sent to prison she would have been sacked from Girls Aloud and would have disappeared without a trace after that. She had only been famous for about a year and was not nearly as famous as she became later. It's funny how things go, had that have happened she would have been gone from the limelight and would probably now be living in a small flat in Newcastle and working as a hotel receptionist or something. Catching the bus home next to lots of other ordinary people - not one of whom would realise that the person next to them would have been Britain's most famous woman but for a small turn of events. One little thing in life can change everything.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,750
    Forum Member
    If you mean two talentlesss, here today gone tomorrow, non-entities, yes.

I don't think you can really attribute a "here today, gone tomorrow" label to Cheryl, she has had a very successful 10+ year career, I don't really think she can be called talentless either, ok she doesn't have the strongest voice but she does have a nice tone and she is a brilliant dancer

Tulisa, although not having been around as long, she has been around for 6ish years
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it goes back to Tulisa being Cheryl's replacement on X Factor, and with them looking quite similar and having a similar background the press and the public caught onto it at first and just accepted it.

Fast forward a year and Tulisa was exposed as having a millionaire father (and so didn't have the same background people thought she had), her music was truly awful, failing to chart high despite being promoted on X Factor, the sex tape leak, and now the cocaine thing. She has become a bit of a laughing stock which never happened to Cheryl. Whilst Cheryl has a lot of fans and at one point seemed untouchable, she still has her detractors but doesn't seem to generate anywhere near the same level of hate as Tulisa does. And a lot of anti-Cheryl comments were due to overexposure.

There was the expectation of her being the new Cheryl, and she probably could have been, but ultimately poor management and has insistence to be "real" has ruined her and her career.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can she take Emeli Sande and Geordie Shore with her?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean that they were low class young women given great opportunity who let it go to their head until their little bubbles burst when opportunity stopped knocking and people started to get tired of their attitudes and arguable "talent", then yes, Tulisa is the new Cheryl since Tulisa has stated N-Dubz will reform just as Girls Aloud did. Oh, also they both share an affection for black men who later publicly embarrass them, although Cheryl got off light since Ashley was the one sending pictures of his penis to girls he met in Chinawhite and having sex with other women while it was Tulisa who had her oral sexploits uploaded to the internet.

So yeah, you have a solid argument in that way.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just made me think actually. Since people still insist on bringing up Cole's conviction from ten years ago as if it defines her very existence, will the same thing happen with Tulisa ten years from now if she, as expected, receives some kind of conviction for facilitating a drug deal ?

At the end of the day, she's only the "new" Cheryl because people have stopped paying attention to Cole and started paying attention to Tulisa, so the media follows suit.