What is the most patronising thing that anyone has ever said to you?

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I used to work at a Builders Merchant in the sales office.

For the first few years I'd answer the phone & some builders would say things like 'I aint bein' funny love but can you put me on to one of the blokes to give me prices cos they'll know what I mean'...

Must admit, I've probably been guilty of that on occasion, although I don't mean to do it. :blush:

Thing is, you phone up some huge company, expecting to get through to their main switchboard, and say "Hi, I'd like to talk to somebody who can help me with some technical information about widgets" and the response will be a short, stony, silence followed by "Yes, that'd be me".

Oh, sorry. :blush:

Excuse me for thinking that I'd got through to a switchboard and I'd have to be put through to the correct department.
    Bite my head off, why doncha? :(
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not said directly to me but something I overheard which was about me - "It's such a shame. She used to be stunning".

Thanks for that.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not got a specific example but I get patronising looks when I go into a computer shop.

Infact I remember a guy trying to sell me a 500Gb hard drive for more than the 1Tb one was as he didn't think I would know the difference.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much patronising to me, but it was said about me. I just found it funny!

Many years ago, my girlfriend (who happens to now be my wife) took me along to a family wedding. I'd met her immediate family, but it was the first time I was being introduced to her more distant family.

She introduced me as her boyfriend to her great aunt, a real old battleaxe of a woman.

As I shook her hand she said "Oh.....so you're the latest one are you?"

:D

It would have made sense if my wife had had a string of boyfriends before me who she was always bringing home and introducing to the family. But she'd only had one boyfriend before me!

My wife's great aunt has actually mellowed a bit in recent years and I get on quite well with her. I stand up to her and take the piss when she belittles anyone. I think she respects me for that!
  • collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    For some reason that one got to me. I have three degrees but am absolutely useless with anything practical. The world as we know it wouldn't operate without our plumbers, electricians, service workers and so on so all these smug, 'learned' types want to hush their mouths when they think of a world without their creature comforts. My dad was a wood machinist and my mum a secretary, then ward housekeeper at a local hospital. I was proud of what they did. Hope this doesn't come across as patronising!!! :D

I often get the pats on the head and patronising comments about being small because I'm only 4ft 7/8 but most of it goes right over my head, tbh. I'm 44 and every time someone says it, they think they're being highly original.

The most patronising thing I've heard in recent times was when a bloke did some tiling in my flat. It looked like crazy paving. When he'd 'finished', I said 'Um, is that it?' His words "Oh don't worry, love. It'll settle down!". I just burst out laughing.

I see what you did there :)
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    India_Rain wrote: »
    Not said directly to me but something I overheard which was about me - "It's such a shame. She used to be stunning".

Thanks for that.
    That made me smile, I'm not sure why though.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I get patronised all the time but I haven't the heart to have a go at people but the worse one that springs to mind is when I helped out a friend and then she offered to buy me lunch. I said no but she said she really wanted to go out, so we went to pizza hut. Just as she paid, she said "you're like a pauper compared to me aren't you?" I don't speak to her anymore.

I did a sharp intake of breath when I read the end of this. I wouldn't have spoken to her again either.

I once worked with this lovely Asian woman and the team were going to go for a picnic (team bonding purposes :)). Anyway, my colleague emailed the team to say she had bought some salad & a bottle of mayonnaise. In response, another colleague (an absolute motherlode bitch) emailed her- and only her -to say, "It's a jar of mayonnaise." And I can imagine the snide, bitchy tone of voice she'd have used if she'd said it out loud. >:(
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby is self employed so we get loads of business calls. I frequently get men saying "can I have a word with the boss please" and I say "speaking."
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    humbug333 wrote: »
    Before my second marriage my cousin announced to a room full of my family and friends that he will not be attending the wedding. He will go to the next one..

Not if you don't invite him he won't! :D
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must admit, I've probably been guilty of that on occasion, although I don't mean to do it. :blush:

Thing is, you phone up some huge company, expecting to get through to their main switchboard, and say "Hi, I'd like to talk to somebody who can help me with some technical information about widgets" and the response will be a short, stony, silence followed by "Yes, that'd be me".

Oh, sorry. :blush:

Excuse me for thinking that I'd got through to a switchboard and I'd have to be put through to the correct department.
    Bite my head off, why doncha? :(

Well it's that or go through your long complex problem only to get the reply "OK then I'll put you through to the technical dept." - Then once through you tell your long story for the second time only to be told "Oh I'll put you through to my supervisor" AGGGGRRRR.
    Forum Member
    Not got a specific example but I get patronising looks when I go into a computer shop.

Infact I remember a guy trying to sell me a 500Gb hard drive for more than the 1Tb one was as he didn't think I would know the difference.

Oh I've put many a Curry's sprong in their place whilst they have been trying to sell me a £35 HDMI cable.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a good thread! :)

I think my worst was a year ago, as I started my degree as a mature student. Initially I planned to apply for dentistry and I even got the grades required but in the end decided it wasn't for me for many reasons, including it being such a long course and a huge commitment.

Well, I bumped into someone who I used to work with and she asked me if I was at University yet, as I left that job to go back to college. I said yes, I was just starting but I didn't end up following my dentistry plan, I chose another health related course instead.

She just looked at me and said 'oh well I always thought it was unlikely you would get the grades for that anyway'.

Bitch.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I've put many a Curry's sprong in their place whilst they have been trying to sell me a £35 HDMI cable.

One tried to palm me off with a crap laptop, again thinking I wouldn't know the difference!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most frequent:

"We British/English people in this country don't say/do that." - whenever I say or do something a person doesn't approve. Even those knew I was born and raised in this country.

The most irritating:

After I announced I won a job with a prestigious law firm, two white friends said these within ten minutes:
    "You shouldn't be so naive, Takae. It's sooo obvious they hired you for a political correct reason."
    "Do they have a racial quota?"
    "You're very pretty, they probably think you're useful as a model for their web site and brochures."
    "I'd turn it down if I were you because I wouldn't want to work there knowing I'm a token."

Not my finest hour:

"You won't understand" - my oldest's friends (all 14) after I asked which game they were playing.
    It annoyed me enough to tell them to shift over and let me have a try. I slaughtered them all within forty minutes, using all old tricks I learnt when I was their age. My son rightfully wasn't impressed as he knew I did it to teach them a lesson for assuming I knew sod-all about FPS gaming. *shameface*
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, we had just come back from the US, where I'd been doing a Masters degree, and all kinds of exciting things and we had several weeks to fill whilst a council house we'd been given as made ready, so we staying for a day or so with my sister in law. (Who is and never was very well off - her husband worked in a factory and she worked part time in a shop - they live in a Barratt house so always think of themselves as a cut above, being 'home-owners', despite never having had en education, or travelled, and I don't say that to patronise her, but just to give the context).

And I said something, trying to be polite, about her dishwasher, and must have sound impressed as she answered: "Ah yes. But you might have a dishwasher too, one day."

Bitch. And I still don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about real life but I'll talk about DS:

1. I made a joke about Activia ads once on here. Just an innocent joke. Some.....person had a pop at me about having a go at Martine McCutcheon's career, then attempted to give me a bit of a pat on the head when I told them that's not what I was doing. Idiot. I don't even remember who they were but it was annoying.

2. I talked about how tipping was practically a must in many American establishments in AMERICA (the key word here being, AMERICA). One user got the wrong end of the stick and made several "oh sure, it IS obligatory to tip! Making things up, eh? There there!" type comments. As it turned out, they thought I was referring to Britain. Facepalm?
  • angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My partners response of "Oh, we own the place, we just don't have a mortgage" shut him right up :)

LOL :D
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Not long after starting work, I was invited to our Head of Department's home for a barbecue, after she was recently remarried.

I said to one of my colleagues, who was a snooty cow at the best of times, "I'll need to get a couple of bottles of wine to bring along".

She replied "Oh I shouldn't worry about it. I very much doubt they drink wine from the same shelf that you get yours...". >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    The most frequent:

"We British/English people in this country don't say/do that." - whenever I say or do something a person doesn't approve. Even those knew I was born and raised in this country.

The most irritating:

After I announced I won a job with a prestigious law firm, two white friends said these within ten minutes:
    "You shouldn't be so naive, Takae. It's sooo obvious they hired you for a political correct reason."
    "Do they have a racial quota?"
    "You're very pretty, they probably think you're useful as a model for their web site and brochures."
    "I'd turn it down if I were you because I wouldn't want to work there knowing I'm a token."

Not my finest hour:

"You won't understand" - my oldest's friends (all 14) after I asked which game they were playing.
    It annoyed me enough to tell them to shift over and let me have a try. I slaughtered them all within forty minutes, using all old tricks I learnt when I was their age. My son rightfully wasn't impressed as he knew I did it to teach them a lesson for assuming I knew sod-all about FPS gaming. *shameface*

Those first two sound awful, sorry you had to go through that. Glad you proved your son's friends wrong in the last one though!
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Years ago, we had just come back from the US, where I'd been doing a Masters degree, and all kinds of exciting things and we had several weeks to fill whilst a council house we'd been given as made ready, so we staying for a day or so with my sister in law. (Who is and never was very well off - her husband worked in a factory and she worked part time in a shop - they live in a Barratt house so always think of themselves as a cut above, being 'home-owners', despite never having had en education, or travelled, and I don't say that to patronise her, but just to give the context).

And I said something, trying to be polite, about her dishwasher, and must have sound impressed as she answered: "Ah yes. But you might have a dishwasher too, one day."

Bitch. And I still don't.

Bet she doesn't have a utility room to put it in though.

Patronising comments fall into two categories, meant (i.e bitchy) or unthinking (using stereotypes and their own limited life experiences). On balance, I think I prefer the former. On at least 2 occasions a week I am patronised at work, I sometimes think I have the word stupid written on my forehead.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bum in a jockstrap, Looking through all these examples, it seems I have been patronised a lot more than I thought all through the years.

Like Sheldon and his inability to detect sarcasm, I have a blind spot with patronising behaviour.
  • JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been single for a while now and quite a good friend turned round to me and said "You know your problem? The people you end up liking are too good looking. You need to lower your standards"

Gee, thanks!
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I've been single for a while now and quite a good friend turned round to me and said "You know your problem? The people you end up liking are too good looking. You need to lower your standards"

Gee, thanks!
    Nah, always raise your standards, never lower them!
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Once upon a time we were trying to find leaks in water-mains and, to do so, we had to excavate the water-main pipes to install sensors on them and, because the pipes were thought to be leaky and fragile, we had to hand-dig 8ft down around each pipe.

So, we were stood in the bottom of this muddy pit, digging around this crusty old water pipe, outside a school in Blackpool in the pouring rain, when a bunch of school-kids started peering over the edge at us.
    Next thing, an adult appears, looks over the edge of the hole at us, and says "Y'see, kids. That's how you'll end up if you don't do your best at school".

>:(:(

:D
    India_Rain wrote: »

Thanks for that.

You still are ;-)
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You still are ;-)

I'm loving your blind (and you would have to be) faith in me. :p