Options

Did you like Corrie's 'Gritty Phase' during the early 2000's?

Comments

• Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I feel like ive missed out! I only watched corrie since the tram crash and i cant imagine them doing anything like whats mentioned here!
    I wouldn't be so sure... I have a feeling Stuart Blackburn will make Tina's exit grizzly and a bit grim. From what I've heard about nightshoots and blood, I think he's going to take advantage of the likely 9pm timeslot. Alex's murder on Emmerdale at the hands of Cameron was very grizzly and dark and that was Blackburn's work. Dragging him still alive through the woods and then his eyes being all bloodied etc in the van.

Very disturbing and chilling I thought. I reckon Corrie's gonna "get its grit on" with the Tina exit story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    Also the era that saw Des Barnes murdered by Quigley... brilliant era!!
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it! Wish I'd been older to appreciate it even more.
  • Options
    machobobmachobob Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the era that saw Des Barnes murdered by Quigley... brilliant era!!

Oh did Jez kill Des?! I didn't realise that, I just thought it was a bungled burglary, and I remember he hit his head off the side of a table, then Natalie came in just as he was dying. Ah I liked Des.
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    machobob wrote: »
    Oh did Jez kill Des?! I didn't realise that, I just thought it was a bungled burglary, and I remember he hit his head off the side of a table, then Natalie came in just as he was dying. Ah I liked Des.

No that was Richard wasn't it?!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    From what I can remember the Harris SL was very dark/gritty and well acted too.

I liked the Harris SL along with the Jez Quigley and Richard Hillman SLs. They were all well acted. I know someone criticised Maxine's acting but compared with Sophie Webster and Michelle Connor she was good!;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I liked the Harris SL along with the Jez Quigley and Richard Hillman SLs. They were all well acted. I know someone criticised Maxine's acting but compared with Sophie Webster and Michelle Connor she was good!;-)
    I thought her scream as she heard baby Freddie(?) crying upstairs, realising she was about to get killed was chilling, then trying to run away only to be bludgeoned twice, was really dark.

There were elements of black humour in it with the creepy film Emily was watching and the music, but overall it was pretty savage!
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    I thought her scream as she heard baby Freddie(?) crying upstairs, realising she was about to get killed was chilling, then trying to run away only to be bludgeoned twice, was really dark.

There were elements of black humour in it with the creepy film Emily was watching and the music, but overall it was pretty savage!

Then cutting straight to a bloody slab of meat being cut up in the Rovers :D
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    It's important for a long running show like Coronation Street to experiment every once in a while. The gritty thing is always far more suited to EastEnders, but Corrie did well to have a go.

Toyah's is rape is actually one of my absolute earliest memories of watching a soap. I think you always remember the big stuff and that had a deeply profund affect on me. Watching it back now, Georgia did a stunning job.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »

Very true I always liked Maxine too and was sorry when they killed her off :( I also liked Des Barnes too.
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked Maxine and the friendship she had with Fiona back in the Nineties. She was by no means the worst actress that the show's ever had either. Des was actually killed off in 1998, I remember first hearing about it on the radio when I was on the bus going to an U/12 rugby game. It's bizarre the things you remember from childhood!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Des barnes was a fantastic character. Tanya was a fabulous bitch aswell.
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Yes, it was quite an awful storyline to watch. I remember ITV did a big "Killer Katy" advertising campaign which was very dark and disturbing. The advert is on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5SuRZgwuBA

I just got around to watching that and was chilled to the core, it's hard to believe that Coronation Street could have been that dark, disturbing is a good way to describe that. I think it's best to just kind of forget that the Harris family ever existed, from Tommy getting sick pleasure from the abortion of his grandchild, to Amanda being horrified by it, to the sugar overdose I think it's better the whole thing is left forgotten :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just got around to watching that and was chilled to the core, it's hard to believe that Coronation Street could have been that dark, disturbing is a good way to describe that. I think it's best to just kind of forget that the Harris family ever existed, from Tommy getting sick pleasure from the abortion of his grandchild, to Amanda being horrified by it, to the sugar overdose I think it's better the whole thing is left forgotten :(
    I can't remember if it was Steve Frost/November or Tony Wood who did that storyline. I think overall it was really just twisted. Very well acted (Lucy Jo Hudson who played Katy was amazing, she literally would cry and shake and it seemed so real, and Angela Harris was played by a great actress as well). It was just so tragic, unfair and sad.

Very well done and advertised, but dark by TV standards in general, let alone Coronation Street. Up there with Trevor/Mo's SL with the rape/face in Christmas dinner/battering with the iron in EastEnders as one of the darkest and most miserable of all time in soap.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually remember those "Killer Katy" ITV promos at the time and was thinking about them quite recently. I particularly remember the Friday 4th March bit lol - it's funny what you remember but I do recall this being extremely dark at the time.

Another storyline which I think was probably one of the darkest of them all, was when Tracy killed Charlie Stubbs. I remember being quite shocked at that.

I loved the campness of the Tricky Dicky era but I think this promo really shows in hindsight just how dark this was also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqeIA7T35w
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    I loved the campness of the Tricky Dicky era but I think this promo really shows in hindsight just how dark this was also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqeIA7T35w
    I hope Corrie do a trailer for Tina's exit which is as good as the Killer Katy / Hillman trailers.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Corrie do a trailer for Tina's exit which is as good as the Killer Katy / Hillman trailers.

Me too James :)

Brilliant trailers like this are something which Corrie has been missing recent years.

Considering the importance of this storyline, I'm sure they will push the boat out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    Me too James :)

Brilliant trailers like this are something which Corrie has been missing recent years.

Considering the importance of this storyline, I'm sure they will push the boat out.
    Here's hoping. I don't remember a special Tony Gordon siege week or Stape downfall trailer, so I'm not holding out hope. But it would be awesome!
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Connors had quite gritty storylines when Liam and Paul were in it with the factory worker dying in the factory and the cover up and then the Leanne prostitution storyline where Paul locked her in the boot and crashed.
    And then when you look at what Carla has gone through on her own with Tony/Frank etc. it really shows that the show still has had a gritty edge since the era mentioned by the OP.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxine's murder / Emily's bludgeoning was gritty as hell. If those episodes aired today I think people would be really shocked!

Jez Quigley was genuinely terrifying as well.

I didn't like this period, but then EastEnders and Brookside were also shit around this time as well. So in answer to the question: no
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the Jez Quigley stuff- he was a fantastic baddie but I prefer Eastenders doing gritty generally. I like Corrie to stick to its roots.

To be fair does it even know what its roots are at the moment as its been dire for quite some time, would like to see more grittier storylines and some better characters introduced to be honest, its gone well down hill in the past year or 2
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it Jez Quigley who got Leanne hooked on drugs? And didn't he end up assaulting her when he was robbing the pub (could have been someone else?)

Although the Toyah rape was well acted it was an awful storyline. The whodunnit element was dreadful and then suddenly her rapist confesses and gets 8 years. Was so unrealistic and Toyah recovered pretty quickly - although not as quickly as Carla did which was all of a week before she was shagging someone else.
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember if it was Steve Frost/November or Tony Wood who did that storyline. I think overall it was really just twisted. Very well acted (Lucy Jo Hudson who played Katy was amazing, she literally would cry and shake and it seemed so real, and Angela Harris was played by a great actress as well). It was just so tragic, unfair and sad.

Very well done and advertised, but dark by TV standards in general, let alone Coronation Street. Up there with Trevor/Mo's SL with the rape/face in Christmas dinner/battering with the iron in EastEnders as one of the darkest and most miserable of all time in soap.

I agree with you, think that it was very underrated and now the Harris family are barely mentioned too which is strange. Thanks for pulling out those threads from 2005 too. Crazy to see that we had previous ancestors on here who were as crazy for soaps as we were, here during some of Eastenders bad phases would be interesting to read up on too, threads about people like the Feirreras :p
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Was it Jez Quigley who got Leanne hooked on drugs? And didn't he end up assaulting her when he was robbing the pub (could have been someone else?)

Although the Toyah rape was well acted it was an awful storyline. The whodunnit element was dreadful and then suddenly her rapist confesses and gets 8 years. Was so unrealistic and Toyah recovered pretty quickly - although not as quickly as Carla did which was all of a week before she was shagging someone else.
    I think his henchmen did the robbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G3kEKrZ8atk#t=2896

Natalie running down the stairs and trying to call 999. :D:D
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    A soap needs a mix of grit, humour and warmth to flourish. If one is missing for a while, it will be branded a poor era.

Corrie have always had some gritty stories mixed in like lorries crashing into the Rovers and Baby Tracey being trapped / lost, all the various deaths, Vera and Jack getting conned by their son, and that man that fell of a roof in 1992 after being chased by police.

Eastenders have always had humour mixed in with Dot, or,at the height of the Slater grittyness, big Mo running a sex line. And Garry's mishaps. (One of the shows best eras)

2009 Neighbours lacked grittyness and humour, look how bad it came.

2000 and 2001 Corrie lacked humour which it got critisised for

Without the right balance, something has to suffer. We need to care about the characters, we need to be kept on the edge of our seats, we need to feel the warmth sometimes to prevent us going cold. Balance is so important in soaps.

1991-94 Neighbours had EVERYTHING and was probably the shows best era in that respect. The episodes in 1993 were fantastic.