Options

Gotham (UK Pace) - Starts Monday 13th October 9pm

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Strange episode for me. First the positives; the first murder was quite creepy, Maroni is always decent, but my favourite scene was Bruce and Alfred pretty much telling Gordan to "f*ck off", thought that was ace. Negative: what the hell was that ending about!? Fish and some bloke (was I supposed to know him?) charging at each other. Looked ridiculous. I know everyone gushes over The Penguin, but he's starting to grate me now. I'm still not sure whether we're supposed to like him or not. I had hopes for Nygma when they suspended him, but they bottled that as well, they keep teasing in pushing him over the edge and then don't. I want supervillains now, mob guys have had enough time, now it's boring imo, are we going to have a big bad in this season?

You just had another one....what was the title of the episode?
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Fearsome Doctor Crane" refers to Tod, but more importantly we were introduced to his son Jonathan aka the future Scarecrow.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first series but this one is beginning to grate. As someone said previously too many mobsters and all of them going round in circles. I really don't like Fish - for some reason she annoys me intensely and even Penguin is getting on my nerves.
    Bring in some more weird super villains or I am in danger of losing interest entirely.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first series but this one is beginning to grate. As someone said previously too many mobsters and all of them going round in circles. I really don't like Fish - for some reason she annoys me intensely and even Penguin is getting on my nerves.
    Bring in some more weird super villains or I am in danger of losing interest entirely.

This is actually still the first series; it was just divided into 2 due to the U.S. broadcast schedule.

Bringing in super villains would be interesting but if Jim is able to deal with them then what's the point of Batman? We won't see a Batman in this series so I don't think we should be seeing an proper super villains.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange episode for me. First the positives; the first murder was quite creepy, Maroni is always decent, but my favourite scene was Bruce and Alfred pretty much telling Gordan to "f*ck off", thought that was ace. Negative: what the hell was that ending about!? Fish and some bloke (was I supposed to know him?) charging at each other. Looked ridiculous. I know everyone gushes over The Penguin, but he's starting to grate me now. I'm still not sure whether we're supposed to like him or not. I had hopes for Nygma when they suspended him, but they bottled that as well, they keep teasing in pushing him over the edge and then don't. I want supervillains now, mob guys have had enough time, now it's boring imo, are we going to have a big bad in this season?

I know what you mean. The only possible way I can see that set piece concluding is for them to smash into each other and fall into a heap on the floor, and then both grimace and writhe with pain on the floor because they hurt themselves, as they reflect on what they just did as a bloody stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just get bored of the silly little crime they have to solve each week to justify it being a cop show. They seem like pointless little side distractions as proper police shows do that sort of thing much better.
    While they're solving each week's crime I just want them to get on with the meat of the main story.
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    This is actually still the first series; it was just divided into 2 due to the U.S. broadcast schedule.

Bringing in super villains would be interesting but if Jim is able to deal with them then what's the point of Batman? We won't see a Batman in this series so I don't think we should be seeing an proper super villains.

There's the problem with the series, we shouldn't be worrying about Batman. He shouldn't be stifling the series, and just because he's not there (in costume) shouldn't mean that there shouldn't be supervillains. It's not like Gordan has to arrest or kill all the bad guys and he could still end up overwhelmed to the point where Batman is needed in the end.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    enna_g wrote: »
    I just get bored of the silly little crime they have to solve each week to justify it being a cop show. They seem like pointless little side distractions as proper police shows do that sort of thing much better.
    While they're solving each week's crime I just want them to get on with the meat of the main story.
    The problem though that this is not a Batman show. It's about how Gotham got into the state it's in with all the gangsters and scum running the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's the problem with the series, we shouldn't be worrying about Batman. He shouldn't be stifling the series, and just because he's not there (in costume) shouldn't mean that there shouldn't be supervillains. It's not like Gordan has to arrest or kill all the bad guys and he could still end up overwhelmed to the point where Batman is needed in the end.

Problem you have there though, is if you going to bring in these villains as they are known then you do need the bat.

If on the other hand they are going to be developed and how they came to be, then the bat isn't needed, and that is what the show is doing or trying to do, but for me where they have gone wrong is introduce far to many of these villains, that is why the show feels the need for the bat in my opinion.

The other problem I have with the show is that to me it still doesn't know if it wants to be The Dark Knight or if it is Burton's Batman.

Despite that I am still enjoying it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Bruce is doing all this inviestigating into the underworld then isn't he going to find out the names of these villains?

If so then he's hardly going to be suprised in the future when he's batman and he comes up against names he's know for years like Penguin and Nygma. Same, or moreso for Gordon.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weakest episode tonight, utter drivel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they keep introducing future villains at this rate they'll have non left for series 2.

And why all the fuss over 'the one blade'. Surely there will be people in that dungeon who can disarm a man with a knife. Not that just having a knife would automatically make you the leader anyway.

Net and fork beats knife (for Bluestone 42 fans)
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but how did Fish become prison boss (or dungeon master haha) so easily? She's about as threatening as a gerbil. Laughable.

The adrenal extract stuff with Julian Sands was rubbish as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well she wasn't trying to be threatening. She was trying to use her charms to get close to him so she could grab the knife.

But as I posted earlier, not sure how having the knife makes you the overlord.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If they keep introducing future villains at this rate they'll have non left for series 2.

And why all the fuss over 'the one blade'. Surely there will be people in that dungeon who can disarm a man with a knife. Not that just having a knife would automatically make you the leader anyway.

Net and fork beats knife (for Bluestone 42 fans)

Clayface & Mad Hatter by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought this episode was better than last weeks. That said, there still hasn't been an episode of this yet that doesn't have stupid moments and leave me with something to gripe about, and I'm happy to oblige :D
    First the positives, really enjoyed The Penguin and Edward's scene and thought Nygma came out of it looking almost badass. The special effects were kinda cool also and didn't really mind the Scarecrow story. Negatives: the Fish scenes were dumb, and as mentioned in previous posts, she's like the least intimidating person in the world. Didn't mind her seducing the boss, but when she threatened the two massive blokes at the start, seriously, as if she would be able to scare them off. Found Bruce's scenes a waste of time as well. Finally, Ben Mackenzies acting is beginning to grate, why does he have to speak through gritted teeth all the time?

Oh and it seems like we're going to continue have movie lookalike young villains going by Scarecrows likeness to Cillian Murphy.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eraserhead wrote: »
    Sorry but how did Fish become prison boss (or dungeon master haha) so easily? She's about as threatening as a gerbil. Laughable.

The adrenal extract stuff with Julian Sands was rubbish as well.
    Late post considering the next episode is now being screened but I agree with the both of you. The whole thing with Fish taking the upper hand like that was - as put it Eraserhead - laughable. Didn't ring true.

I was hoping tonight's instalment will be better but I already see Barbara's back.... >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the Joker?
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Was that the Joker?
    Not sure but looking at that deranged smile, I thought the same.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently meant to be The Joker, yes, if it isn't it somewhat won't make sense, also hey advertised this episode in America with a blatant spoiler The Joker would feature, probably to get people to watch.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Barbara is the worst character on tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Was that the Joker?

All the signs were pointing that way, they even started playing clown music when he flipped at the end. Thought the bloke playing Baby Joker did a great job, got goosebumps.
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Barbara is the worst character on tv.

She literally adds nothing imo, was there supposed to be some dramatic weight to the final scene? We've already watched her cheat on "our hero" with a woman, if I was supposed to feel sorry for her walking in on Jim and his new/better girlfriend then they failed miserably. Didn't miss Barbara at all when she left and hoped bringing in Morena Baccarin meant the end of Babs tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the signs were pointing that way, they even started playing clown music when he flipped at the end. Thought the bloke playing Baby Joker did a great job, got goosebumps.

She literally adds nothing imo, was there supposed to be some dramatic weight to the final scene? We've already watched her cheat on "our hero" with a woman, if I was supposed to feel sorry for her walking in on Jim and his new/better girlfriend then they failed miserably. Didn't miss Barbara at all when she left and hoped bringing in Morena Baccarin meant the end of Babs tbh.

I think they have done on a good job on the whole with the characters of The Penguin (though he is starting to get annoying), The Riddler (was annoying, but has improved as the show has gone on), and if it is The Joker then it was a good introduction to the character.

I take it from that episode that Dick Grayson hasn't been born yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I thought the baby joker was going to turn out to be the joker as I think they employed someone who had a similar look to Nicholson.

But then the timelines would be off. Even then though i'm still confused as in the Keaton movie a young joker killed the Waynes.
    In this series they've already been killed by someone else.

How did they die in the comics?
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I thought the baby joker was going to turn out to be the joker as I think they employed someone who had a similar look to Nicholson.

But then the timelines would be off. Even then though i'm still confused as in the Keaton movie a young joker killed the Waynes.
    In this series they've already been killed by someone else.

How did they die in the comics?

Killed by gangster, not by The Joker.
    Tim Burton's batman kinda screwed the pooch on that one.

And it's a shame if that guy was cast due to looking like nichelson.
    If you're going to emulate a joker instead of putting your own stamp on it, emulating large ham joker isn't the way to go.