WW2 bomb found in London

housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
Forum Member

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    German reliability for you. Still dangerous after 70 years!
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side it's near where BGT is filmed.
    Minus side, filming probably already finished.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Is the ww2 sunken munitions ship SS Robert Montgomery still lying deep in the Thames Estuary does any one know ? If it goes up seems its liable to blow out all the windows in Sheerness.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've walked up and down Empire Way quite a few times.........:o

just think.........I could have stamped my foot to get rid of some dog poo and BOOM !.....:o
  • Options
    zedzzedz Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »

The bomb too.
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »

The Sun newspaper's only making it out to be a major event of historical 'importance; just because it's another of Simon Cowell's televised talent shows and you know what the newspapers're like about them.
    There have been televised talent shows, ice skating and dancing championships before so what's so special about DOI, SCD and Simon Cowell?
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »

The Sun newspaper's only making it out to be a major event of historical 'importance' just because it's another of Simon Cowell's televised talent shows and you know what the newspapers're like about them.
    There have been televised talent shows, ice skating and dancing championships before so what's so special about DOI, SCD and Simon Cowell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Is the ww2 sunken munitions ship SS Robert Montgomery still lying deep in the Thames Estuary does any one know ? If it goes up seems its liable to blow out all the windows in Sheerness.

Yes it is never knew a thing about th Montgomery till I read the earth quake thread this morning now that really should be looked into
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Is the ww2 sunken munitions ship SS Richard Montgomery still lying deep in the Thames Estuary does any one know ? If it goes up seems its liable to blow out all the windows in Sheerness.

Yup it's still there and too dangerous to make safe.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »

I bet there's loads more as well. Much of London consisted of bombed out buildings after the war, and most of those bomb sites were subsequently built over, without the bombs being discovered at the time.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing a programme where they showed a map of exactly where every unexploded bomb fell. There were wardens whose job it was to look out for them. Must have missed some I expect. The map is available to builders etc.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I bet there's loads more as well. Much of London consisted of bombed out buildings after the war, and most of those bomb sites were subsequently built over, without the bombs being discovered at the time.

There will be 100s of unexploded bombs wherever there was an air raid.
    Like the farmers in Belgium, every time they plough their fields they find unexploded shells and bullets from WW1, still dangerous today.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    There was a recent short series on the BBC about The Channel and its coastline, and it featured the work of the bomb disposal crews.

On one occasion they were called out by a guy who found an incendiary bomb which turned out to be live.

Where did he find it?

On his mantlepiece! It had been there for years! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup it's still there and too dangerous to make safe.

Wonder why they only removed some of the stuff. To me it's like disaster wait to happen.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    There will be 100s of unexploded bombs wherever there was an air raid.
    Like the farmers in Belgium, every time they plough their fields they find unexploded shells and bullets from WW1, still dangerous today.

And bodies :(
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just up the road from me.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had one in the garden in the 80s, I cant remember who came to remove it now, it wasnt the police but it had to be done all proper