Why are so many people pissed off by adverts???

Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
Forum Member
I am getting really pissed-off at the attitude of many here regarding adverts. If you don't like them then don't watch!! However, remember that the programmes you are watching after skipping through them have been PAID FOR by the advertisers. There would be bugger-all to watch if they started pulling the plug because viewers were ignoring them!!!
Many are, yes, crass and over-repetative. However, many are works or art - John Lewis adverts just to name one!! How many of our now top-film directors cut their teeth on adverts??
Many of the future ones are doing just this now!!
So , by all means, skip through them, bfut just watch you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater!!!

Comments

• LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Well...I've got no problem with adverts in certain shows. But if you have an absorbing drama...then yes they can be a pain in the butt. But thank our lucky stars we are not living in most countries whereby there is no channel that is free from ads. yes we pay our license...but I would prefer to do that than NOT have choice of having an ad free channel...or channels as it is with the bbc. You are right..many great directors cut their teeth in advertising. However there are also many crap directors who make a huge living making crap ads because they are cheap and have no imagination about selling something on a low budget with a flair of originality, and because they would never be employed doing something that needed skill, talent and creativity...and that means they are repeated continuously because its cheap for the companies involved to get a good repeat deal. However....I will still say, having lived in various different countries in my life and therefore experiencing a variety of cultural advertising culture, we still create the best ads in the world......
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked in corporate marketing for 12 years, I understand all about advertising and how it works.

However, I am one who has recently been known to sigh as yet another ad break comes on and goes on and on and on.

I find them hugely frustrating.

And as for kowtowing to the advertisers because they have paid for the programe. Oh please. Do me a favour.

Using that argument, what's the next suggestion? That perhaps I should feel guilty for not immediately going out and buying their products as a 'thank you' for funding my TV programmes. Of course, on that basis I'd be seriously over insured, own about 8 cars and wash everything 3 times (all with Calgon, of course) in order to use up all my soap suds.

Or maybe I should Facebook all my friends and tell them how much I enjoyed the ads tonight?

There was once a time when no more than 6 minutes of time per our were allowed for ads. This restriction, sadly is in the distant past. But how I would love to see it return.

The last few times I went to the US I found the TV unwatchable as it has evloved into snippets of programmes slotted into the mass of advertising - an ironic upside down parody of how it all started.

Its clear that the TV people believe what was quoted on that fascinating programme on the American Dream recently; that it is definately possible to consume your way to happiness.

Our TV, bit by bit is going the same way, even the BBC channels with endless trailers.

My neighbours frequently hear the shout coming from my living roon 'GET ON WITH IT!!!':D

PS Better go as I'll miss the next Go Compare ads - there're bound to be on any minute now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch whatever I can 'on demand'. I cannot bear adverts
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Adverts do not influence me at all, so no point in them apart from annoyingly breaking up a programme I watch on the rare occasions my television is turned on.

I have to meet anyone who finds them useful.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on DS have to pissed off with something, it's the nature of the beast.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I hate it when you get stupid ads

like the confused ad

18 million strong and growing

whats that got to do with insurance?

total boll*x
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because a lot of them are annoying, thus making people annoyed at them.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I don't get a say in the fact that when I'm watching a programme on GOLD, Dave, Living suddenly those damn Sainsbury's male voice choir starts and the geordie voice telling me Sainsbury's is Perrrfect because I don't know when ad break will happen by the time i found mute button I've had to hear it for the sixth time in half an hour.

If I hear an advert in a commercial break that's my fault for not muting or switching but when its attached to every programme every ten minutes each side of the ads and at the beginning and end of a show it gets bloody well annoying.
  • dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Why are so many people pissed off by adverts???

Because I'm an anti-capitalist, and adverts simply attempt to perpetuate an inherently flawed system which relies on mythical "perpetual growth" ...

Maybe I'm over-thinking things ... :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the majority of ads weren't disgustingly sexist or in some way hideously offensive, I wouldn't mind them at all. Most ads are just painful to acknowledge, though. Then there are the ones that are so up their own arses it's utterly laughable.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    People on DS have to pissed off with something, it's the nature of the beast.

In some sections/threads, this is often true.

But read the 'Matt Lucas as Thenardier' thread here in TV Programmes as most posts on there are very positive and congratulatory (except one of course, who claims 'Lucas is crap, isn;t he?' - an opinion which most actually diagree with.).
  • dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    If the majority of ads weren't disgustingly sexist or in some way hideously offensive, I wouldn't mind them at all.

This is true. Virtually every ad nowadays has some variation on the "men are stupid, and women know better" formula. It's been getting old for a very long time now. :mad::mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are just annoying. Sitting down to watch a program/film and getting bugged every 10mins by monotonous adverts gets on peoples nerves.

You can't just say "if you dont like them then don't watch them" :rolleyes: it's not like we have a choice :confused:

Also some adverts are just so awfully repetitive, take Direct Line for example, who in August broadcast the same advert with Stephen Fry and Paul Merton on every single channel for every single set of adverts :mad::mad::rolleyes:

Then the likes of T-Mobile with that 3min long advert, which they seem proud of for some reason :confused:

Adverts are way to long and way to often, THATS why people don't like them.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The adverts are my excuse for flicking thorugh the music channels or as someone else said recording programmes and then watching them back to avoid the adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dudius wrote: »
    This is true. Virtually every ad nowadays has some variation on the "men are stupid, and women know better" formula. It's been getting old for a very long time now. :mad::mad::mad:

Yep. And they don't exactly make the women look great in their constant putting down of males. The women are usually smug, power mad bitches while the men are simpering idiots.

It's just so old now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting really pissed-off at the attitude of many here regarding adverts. If you don't like them then don't watch!! However, remember that the programmes you are watching after skipping through them have been PAID FOR by the advertisers. There would be bugger-all to watch if they started pulling the plug because viewers were ignoring them!!!
    Many are, yes, crass and over-repetative. However, many are works or art - John Lewis adverts just to name one!! How many of our now top-film directors cut their teeth on adverts??
    So , by all means, skip through them, bfut just watch you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater!!!

Hmmmmm i subscribe to cable tv and i like to think my subscriptions would pay for programmes rather then the advertisers after all is that not what i am paying for,:confused::confused:

Why pay for your tv and have adverts to contend with as well,seems i am being mugged off.;)
  • Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand adverts, if there is a show on any channel that has adverts, then I usually record it to the planner, that way the x30 comes in very handy, as I do not have to watch them.

I cannot even get a lot of adverts, as take the Cadburys one with the two geeky kids moving their eyebrows. OK, so you might remember the advert and what it is for, but how is it meant to get you to purchase their product, as it would not make me think twice about buying a bar of chocolate, so what is the point.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I find adverts really annoying if I'm watching something like a drama or movie as you are enjoying it and getting stuck into the plot and all of a sudden they have an ad break! Ads are just about tolerable on news and music channels. I understand why they're needed though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find adverts really annoying if I'm watching something like a drama or movie as you are enjoying it and getting stuck into the plot and all of a sudden they have an ad break! Ads are just about tolerable on news and music channels. I understand why they're needed though.

I can understand why they are needed on say ITV, channel 4,or 5 as they are completely funded by advert breaks.

But surely on sky /cable the subscription revenue should mean ads are not neccessary as with the BBC which of course is funded by license payers.

I find it rather rich i should pay to have cable tv which is sometimes full of repeats and have to pay a sub as well as having to put up with adverts.:(
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find many adverts particularly "dumbed down" these days, but maybe that is a marketing ploy to make you remember them.

I don't watch any live commercial TV. If there's a programme I want to watch I record it and then sometimes start watching the recording twenty minutes after the programme has started. When the first advert break starts I press my PVR remote which skips 15 seconds every time you press the button, so with about six presses of the button I've reached the next segment and not had to watch any adverts. By the time the programme has finished my recording has usually caught up with the live transmission.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

pphhhfft very few are works of art. Its rare to get a decent add. I mean DFS is seriously FFS
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It brought it home tonight watching Some Mothers Do Ave Em which had been borrowed by Channel 5 tonight. Its just irritating especially as the same ads just get trotted out over what seemed like an age. Iv never liked ads-tell a lie I liked a Kodak one from the late seventies.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I If you don't like them then don't watch!!!!

Not like we have much of a choice. I mean you can change over but if you're really into a program the you don't really want to miss is. Some of the adverts i have to watch on mute, like the go compare advert.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the days of the funny adverts have long gone.
    most seem to assume people have an IQ of 5.

just look at how annoying the adverts are,you have iceland carpet bombing the stations,Go compare..envirofone..WONGA.

The Ad's seem to have lost the knack to flow with the viewer they just come along and headbutt them.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very few programmes worth watching are on channels that show adverts. The exception is Big Bang Theory, but I record that anyway. If there is occasionally something on ITV worth watching then I'll record that too.