Is British Comedy Dead?

CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
Forum Member
✭✭
Is Comedy on Tv dead?

Stand up and Sitcoms?

Ive noticed lately that almost every new comedy show that comes along is completely PANNED by the viewers!

Its safe to say that 99% of new comedy will be detested the public! But why???

With the influx of 'attack comedy' and controversial comedians it seems weve seen it all.

What we find funny is such a personel thing but it seems the majority of new comedians, and the old ones are not hitting on our funnybone anymore!

Whats gone wrong

Comments

• CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noone have an opinion on this?
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    The wrong people go into comedy these days; careerists, people with good jobs who realised they could make more money in comedy, people like Jimmy Carr who was an oil executive.

And these people know that to make the money you have to play it safe so you have very dull comedy from the likes of McIntyre, Bishop and Bridges.

Michael McIntyre drives a Jag and wears and Rolex, these dull middle-class career people aren't what British comedy needs, it'll not be long before they start talking about golf like Tarby and Forsythe.

Comedy shouldn't just be a way to pay off the mortgage and buy a holiday home in France.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miranda wasn't completely panned
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the standup DVD's that were out this christmas you would think not. I watched Billy Connolly live in London 2010 DVD . I am a big fan but I had heard most of it before from him and was disapointed with his show. I didn't think much of Ricky Gervais Science DVD either to be honest. Maybe too much comedy just gets boring after a while, mind you there was not too much to laugh at on TV over christmas was there.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The wrong people go into comedy these days; careerists, people with good jobs who realised they could make more money in comedy, people like Jimmy Carr who was an oil executive.

And these people know that to make the money you have to play it safe so you have very dull comedy from the likes of McIntyre, Bishop and Bridges.

Michael McIntyre drives a Jag and wears and Rolex, these dull middle-class career people aren't what British comedy needs, it'll not be long before they start talking about golf like Tarby and Forsythe.

Comedy shouldn't just be a way to pay off the mortgage and buy a holiday home in France.

So you're basically saying that only working class people should be allowed to be comedians??

If so, that is a steaming pile of s***
  • Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy's what you make it.

I would say that with Sean Lock, John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Shappi Korsandi, Kevin Bridges, Rhod Gilbert, Milton Jones and others about it's in rude health.

Take Billy Connolly, Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle though and it should be put down
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the problem with any comedy thread is comedy is so subjective what is successful and unsuccessful comedy is highly a matter of opinion.

But as I see it Miranda, Mongrels, Psychoville & The Inbetweeners, Armstrong and Miller, and The Trip were/are all pretty much well received. Peep Show is still very funny despite it being on its 7th (i think) series. The IT crowd is really good (despite it's last series lacking a bit)

Sales of Michael McIntyre and John Bishop DVDs were very strong this Christmas. And with Eddie Izzard, Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand and Peter Kay we have comedians capable of selling out large arenas.

Of course most comedy shows are rubbish or painfully average but it's always been like that it's just Sturgeon's Law. I agree there is a bit of a 'we've seen it all before'; but commercially and critically British comedy is quite healthy.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but i just can't take to stand up!... i saw Michael McIntyre for the first time on Loose Women and thoroughly enjoyed watching him, laughed the whole way through but as soon as i see the advert for him!, is it at the Apollo?.. standing there laughing with the face mike on i just can't bear him!... same as all of them that are advertised in that way!.... it just gives me no inclination at all to tune in, same as all these Buzzcocks, Who's line is it anyway?, and all those sort of programmes, it always seems to be the same comedians doing the rounds on them and they just hold no interest for me at all!...

I do love things like Benidorm and Gavin and Stacey, so it can't all be that i am just a niggly old c*w......:confused:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've yet to see anything as funny as Fawlty Towers or Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. In my opinion, they don't make themselves look stupid enough these days.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy's what you make it.

I would say that with Sean Lock, John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Shappi Korsandi, Kevin Bridges, Rhod Gilbert, Milton Jones and others about it's in rude health.

Take Billy Connolly, Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle though and it should be put down

John Bishop,Sarah Milican,Shappi Korsandi--Love them
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty of good comedy around nowadays ... sitcoms, panel shows and stand up.
    doom&gloom wrote: »

You haven't got much of a chip on your shoulder then.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the pc brigade. They've killed the British sence of humour.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC2 and 4

Psychoville
    Rev
    Grandmas House
    Roger and Val Have Just Got In
    The Great Outdoors
    The Trip
    Cowards
    We Need Answers
    Getting On
    Forum Member
    Almost everyone who has been mentioned in this thread is either a has-been (Gervais, Kay, Connolly) or mediocre (Michael McIntyre, John Bishop, Sarah Millican, Shappi Korsandi, Kevin Bridges, Rhod Gilbert) that's why British comedy is dead.

Sean Lock and Milton Jones are quite funny but you could hardly call them hilarious, like say Billy Connolly in the mid to late 70s.

Thought Alan Patrtidge was funniest comedy this year, notably not on TV.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    TBH, I don't think we're in an era of classic comedy and personally, I don't like stand up.

But its much like music - the quality ebbs and flows. Television as a whole ( as well as culture in general) is very conformist at the moment, and this is reflected in comedy. Broadly, it has become very formulaic.

It will be interesting to see if any comedies today ( such as the Peep Show) become classics.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing has happened with drama, there is very little individual comment allowed from writers.

It's filtered through TV executives who are very risk averse.

This will get very much worse on commercial TV as product placement comes in and no company is going to really want to be associated with risky social comment.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    CJWALKER wrote: »

Ive noticed lately that almost every new comedy show that comes along is completely PANNED by the viewers!

Nothing new there! Fawlty Towers was ripped into by the critics until the public "got it", and then it was universally lauded.
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    BBC2 and 4

Psychoville
    Rev
    Grandmas House
    Roger and Val Have Just Got In
    The Great Outdoors
    The Trip
    Cowards
    We Need Answers
    Getting On

That just shows how much opinion differes because most of these I would classify as "anti-comedies".
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a great fan of stand-up but humour changes with each generation imo. Some last for years and years - brilliant sit-coms like Blackadder and Fawlty Towers (not everyone's taste but that's humour for you!) -
    But on the whole we rarely see a good sit-com. I thought Outnumbered was one..... quite liked the IT crowd and erm.... sorry, can't think of any more just now!!
    I agree with another poster that political correctness has killed an awful lot of humour. And those risk-averse idiots in TV exec jobs. And the bean counters who are allowed to make way too many artistic judgements. I could really get going now!!!!!
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have not had a proper Sitcom in nearly 25 years (I am not including Babes in the Wood or the upper hand) Just drama with comedy in it which is not the same. The only new sitcom I have seen in the past few years that was any good was Not Going Out and the BBC tried to axe it. Thank God it is back next week Lee Mack and Tim Vine make what would normally be a run of the mill sitcom into comedy gold.

The three part Red Dwarf special was pretty good and The thick of it political satire at it's best but not really a sitcom.

There's a lot of good stand up out there just not on television even the best stand ups on tv a dumbed down because of the PC brigade and can't use their best material. Harry Hill is funny but a sell out and is basically a kid's entertainer these days compared to how he was when he started out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Stand-up comedy is excellent at the moment, so much choice and availability. As far as sitcoms go, there's been lots of clever ones in the past decade, especially on BBC 2 and Channel 4.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    I'm not a great fan of stand-up but humour changes with each generation imo. Some last for years and years - brilliant sit-coms like Blackadder and Fawlty Towers (not everyone's taste but that's humour for you!) -
    But on the whole we rarely see a good sit-com. I thought Outnumbered was one..... quite liked the IT crowd and erm.... sorry, can't think of any more just now!!
    I agree with another poster that political correctness has killed an awful lot of humour. And those risk-averse idiots in TV exec jobs. And the bean counters who are allowed to make way too many artistic judgements. I could really get going now!!!!!

What humour has political correctness killed?
    Considering you liked Outnumbered and IT Crowd, what kind of politically incorrect jokes do you think would have made them better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've yet to see anything as funny as Fawlty Towers or Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. In my opinion, they don't make themselves look stupid enough these days.

I loathe Some Mothers and don't find Fawlty particularly amusing but that's comedy - so personal to us individually.

I wouldn't say British comedy is dead but it is in the High Dependency Unit. :(
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad thing about the mainstream stand up craze we're going through at the moment is I'm struggling to think of a single one who has something to say worth listening to. Of course there's no reason why all stand ups should be commenting on society and making a point, but they're all so bloody mainstream. Even those who set out to shock like Boyle have nothing really to say apart from trying to shock.

Thank goodness for the likes of Stewart Lee.

I'm not a huge fan of Gervais, but you do get the sense with him that he is driven by trying to say something.

I guess a few years into a Tory government might see the kind of reaction we got in the early 80s and comedy might begin to have a purpose again rather than the sheer inanity of McIntyre, Howard, Brand et al.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I blame the pc brigade. They've killed the British sence of humour.

OK, what is it people used to be able to do but aren't allowed to now?

Agree about the risk averse businesspeople having too much say. If your main concern is making money, you shouldn't be involved in any form of art or entertainment. When what should be about creativity becomes about £££, it begins to stagnate and become dumb and dull. I don't think British TV is that bad yet, but it does seem to have got worse for this recently.